Snorkel Delete - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #171
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
When you remove the airbox lid, you lose the negative pressure in the ducting that leads to the radiator support opening. This will cause your intake to be consuming mainly underhood air. Even with a fabricated shield to emulate the big-name companies, you will still acquire a certain amount of heat-soak.

That being said, I don't think that it is overly detrimental. There will be a bit of cool air forced through the ducting due to the pressure difference of the front of the radiator support and the intake box along with some cooler air that enters around the headlight. I inspected the sealing of the Typhoon when it was on my car for testing and found that there was actually a large amount of area for underhood air to bypass the shield. Just looking at pictures of the Steeda intake I would have to assume the same applies to it as well.

All of that being said, my best recommendation is always to experiment. What works for me and my commute does not necessarily apply to anyone elses. I wanted my power to be lower in the rpm range. This allows me better response and fuel mileage. If I drove in a more 'spirited' manner and was willing to spend more money, I would be sporting a name-brand intake...

I have been toying with the idea of wrapping some of the tract though...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #172
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
When you remove the airbox lid, you lose the negative pressure in the ducting that leads to the radiator support opening. This will cause your intake to be consuming mainly underhood air. Even with a fabricated shield to emulate the big-name companies, you will still acquire a certain amount of heat-soak.

That being said, I don't think that it is overly detrimental. There will be a bit of cool air forced through the ducting due to the pressure difference of the front of the radiator support and the intake box along with some cooler air that enters around the headlight. I inspected the sealing of the Typhoon when it was on my car for testing and found that there was actually a large amount of area for underhood air to bypass the shield. Just looking at pictures of the Steeda intake I would have to assume the same applies to it as well.

All of that being said, my best recommendation is always to experiment. What works for me and my commute does not necessarily apply to anyone elses. I wanted my power to be lower in the rpm range. This allows me better response and fuel mileage. If I drove in a more 'spirited' manner and was willing to spend more money, I would be sporting a name-brand intake...

like this?
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #173
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post

Where exactly does the air "come from" with aftermarket intakes such as the steeda? I miss the simplicity of my 13 inch air cleaner sitting atop my TB with an open cowl on my Dakota haha. I was never thinking about vacuums and whatnot. The whole "technology" car thing is a bit new to me, but I'm doing my best to research and learn, primarily from the seemingly infinite knowledge that I receive from FF. anyway, back to my actual question, how does the steeda work?

Sent while Slideways
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #174
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCornell View Post
Where exactly does the air "come from" with aftermarket intakes such as the steeda? I miss the simplicity of my 13 inch air cleaner sitting atop my TB with an open cowl on my Dakota haha. I was never thinking about vacuums and whatnot. The whole "technology" car thing is a bit new to me, but I'm doing my best to research and learn, primarily from the seemingly infinite knowledge that I receive from FF. anyway, back to my actual question, how does the steeda work?

Sent while Slideways
They suck under hood air, just like when taking the top off of the airbox. If there is a heatshield that seals to the hood, then they suck from behind the headlight, which is open to the left front triangle area and lower valance/wheelwell. Any that reuse the factory intake tubes get partial air from the whiskers area.

Looking at my modded airbox, the factory tubes get air from the whiskers, the 3" tube gets air from left triangle, the holes get air from behind the drivers headlight.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #175
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

And what about negative pressure?

Sent while Slideways
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #176
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Quote:
And what about negative pressure?

Sent while Slideways
Throttle plate controls manifold pressure.

This pic is of my filter/outerwears. The dirt pattern is from directly over the outlet of the 3" tube. It is definitely getting the airflow to that point, so I have all the negative pressure I need.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #177
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Hmm interesting, thank you. So does your setup run without a lid then? And you're running the newmission right?

Sent while Slideways
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #178
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Quote:
Hmm interesting, thank you. So does your setup run without a lid then? And you're running the newmission right?

Sent while Slideways
Full lid, newmission tube, Torquerules holes, OEM++

I'm thinking about the Green filter with open end too. Someday, when we get tuning, I will dyno this setup.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #179
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just did this. Whoever said they did it in 10 min should change their member name to Pinocchio.....lol. It takes that long just to get the tools out and pop the hood. I'd say it takes 30-40 minutes for the average person. Anyways, it should be added that I took the two t-25 screws out on both sides for more room. I didn't see that in the description on the first page and I found it to be helpful. We'll see how everything works/sounds with the new Steeda intake.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #180
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

It took me less than 10.

Sent while Slideways

Bookmarks & Social Networks