clutch chatter - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102024
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 lifespeed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
clutch chatter

I just started getting some light clutch chatter in 1st gear while accelerating from a stop. The car is a 2012 Titanium and has only 9K miles on it. I am very concerned. Clutch chatter is typically a wear and/or mechanical problem.

I don't know if I have the "updated" clutch programming in this car. I got it used with 2K miles on it from an Acura dealer, so probably not. I have actually been quite happy with the clutch/transmission behavior up until now. Based on reviews from others with the transmission updates, it wasn't clear to me it was an improvement.

I'm going to make an appointment with the Ford dealer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
I just started getting some light clutch chatter in 1st gear while accelerating from a stop. The car is a 2012 Titanium and has only 9K miles on it. I am very concerned. Clutch chatter is typically a wear and/or mechanical problem.

I don't know if I have the "updated" clutch programming in this car. I got it used with 2K miles on it from an Acura dealer, so probably not. I have actually been quite happy with the clutch/transmission behavior up until now. Based on reviews from others with the transmission updates, it wasn't clear to me it was an improvement.

I'm going to make an appointment with the Ford dealer.
The major DCT transmission reprogramming up to now is in Ford's FSA 12b37. While some have reported this caused problems, it eliminated the cluch chatter my car had, so I wouldn't dismiss its value.

If you'd like to be prepared for your service visit, go to etis.ford.com and enter your VIN in the "vehicle" section. It will then show you all kinds of interesting stuff about your car, including any outstanding FSAs (like 12b37).
Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The trans update is not shown as outstanding for my car. Perhaps it already has it.

Reading further on this forum, I see that trans fluid leaks (I assume at the input shafts) are common, can wet the clutches, and would probably cause the symptoms I am seeing.

Given the sudden and dramatic onset of problems in what used to be a perfectly-working DCT I remain very concerned. I will accept no nonsense from Ford on this issue. It is major.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
bigdesignmachine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73457
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 1 bigdesignmachine Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My 2013 ST has a small noise that the clutch makes when shifting from 1 - 2 and 2 - 3 Once the car wamrs up it stops making this noise. Other ST owners have said they hear it also in their cars.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdesignmachine View Post
My 2013 ST has a small noise that the clutch makes when shifting from 1 - 2 and 2 - 3 Once the car wamrs up it stops making this noise. Other ST owners have said they hear it also in their cars.
I am pretty sure we're not talking about the same problem. In my case, it is very clear the clutch is chattering at takeoff.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
The trans update is not shown as outstanding for my car. Perhaps it already has it.

Reading further on this forum, I see that trans fluid leaks (I assume at the input shafts) are common, can wet the clutches, and would probably cause the symptoms I am seeing.

Given the sudden and dramatic onset of problems in what used to be a perfectly-working DCT I remain very concerned. I will accept no nonsense from Ford on this issue. It is major.
I experienced this for the first couple of months of ownership.
Since then, the clutch engagement is consistently smooth.

Try accelerating a few times from standing start with your foot to the floor.
This often helps.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I experienced this for the first couple of months of ownership.
Since then, the clutch engagement is consistently smooth.

Try accelerating a few times from standing start with your foot to the floor.
This often helps.
The car is one year old and has 9K miles. While your suggestions may have some validity in reference to a brand-new clutch that needs to be broken in, and a computer that needs to learn the parameters of said new clutch, I don't think this describes my situation either.

Just to reiterate; my trans and clutch has worked perfectly for 9K miles, until yesterday when it started chattering.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
The car is one year old and has 9K miles. While your suggestions may have some validity in reference to a brand-new clutch that needs to be broken in, and a computer that needs to learn the parameters of said new clutch, I don't think this describes my situation either.

Just to reiterate; my trans and clutch has worked perfectly for 9K miles, until yesterday when it started chattering.
I read your original post and understood it perfectly.

I made a suggestion based on a number of factors. Of course you can feel free to ignore it and any other suggestions or advice that you receive in this forum.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I read your original post and understood it perfectly.

I made a suggestion based on a number of factors. Of course you can feel free to ignore it and any other suggestions or advice that you receive in this forum.
I am not ignoring suggestions. I am trying to differentiate from the wide spectrum of transmission complaints that seem to run the gamut from "This automated manual isn't as slushbox smooth as my 1969 Cadillac luxo-barge and sometimes makes a slight click when it changes gears" to "the trans didn't engage and allowed my engine to rev to 6,000. I had to get towed home".

Your comment seems to fall in the category of a slight quirk of this kind of trans, as it is new and breaking in. Which I agree with, don't mind, and doesn't describe my problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Have you taken a look under the car for leaks? Oil oozing at the engine/tranmission junction is a really good indication of the kind of leak that causes clutches to go wonky. Of course one can still have a leaky seal without anything showing on the outside, but drips should make it an easy call for your dealer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->