One Year Later - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #41
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
So you dumped your Focus and lost a good chunk of money, spent even more money on an Accord Sport, and you're only getting 2-3MPG better than the Focus? That sounds like a poor financial decision to me, but I'm glad you're happy. I was once considering dumping my Focus, but it wasn't for an MPG gain. It was me being stupid. Either way, my MPG in my Focus has been great, no complaints.

Back to the OP's topic, my car drives straight as an arrow in city and on highway here in San Diego. I can easily drive it with one finger. As you already know, something is wrong with your car.

I really hope you get it fixed properly, because this car is awesome to drive!
Well maybe it was worth it for me. The MPG is not the only reason I traded the Focus. I had more problems with it than I care to even list. It was beyond an annoyance.

Now all of my problems are solved.

Also, the Accord Sport was actually *cheaper* than the Titanium. Fully-loaded pre-order it was around $29k.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #42
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Not mine?

This is exactly how my car is! Adjustments are not difficult, I can drive it with 1 finger - but I have to make a correction or give constant pressure - like I'm fighting the crown in the road - pretty much every 3 seconds to stay in my lane. But there really isn't any rhyme or reason to which side I have to push on i.e.: wind, crown, etc.

That's why I didn't think I would qualify for the steering TSB. It doesn't lock up, it just doesn't track straight. Maybe I have an alignment issue or something. But rather than try to fight the dealership, I'm going to live with it. Seems easier. Besides, I'd much rather fight the dealer to fix my clutch than my steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
The problem you described is exactly what i am experiencing now, however it is a different problem than the tsb. Before with my old rack, the car drove straight without constant input to the wheel, however over 40mph only, did it sway left and right. At low speeds it drove beautifully. I would have lived with that problem if I knew this current steering situation could occur. right now this steering problem is way worse than the steering wander associated with the tsb.
I just want to clarify here...Praton stated how he has to move the wheel every THREE SECONDS...this is how my car was with the new rack before the most recent alignment in december. From september to december it was every few SECONDS (like praton described) I had to make corrections...now it is maybe a dozen times a minute opposed to many dozens and dozens of times. Still ridiculous.

so it seems like the alignment helped, but according to Dana Ford, it is IN SPEC. and that is that as far as they are concerned.

I cannot wait to bring it back to have them check the steering rack and see what they find, if anything.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #43
JMD787
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91481
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 JMD787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
So you dumped your Focus and lost a good chunk of money, spent even more money on an Accord Sport, and you're only getting 2-3MPG better than the Focus? That sounds like a poor financial decision to me, but I'm glad you're happy. I was once considering dumping my Focus, but it wasn't for an MPG gain. It was me being stupid. Either way, my MPG in my Focus has been great, no complaints.

Back to the OP's topic, my car drives straight as an arrow in city and on highway here in San Diego. I can easily drive it with one finger. As you already know, something is wrong with your car.

I really hope you get it fixed properly, because this car is awesome to drive!
His financial loss will be made up in a few years when the Accord has a resale value that a Focus owner could only dream of.

Original poster it sounds like your second steering rack was a defective unit as well, or was installed incorrectly. I remember reading about a year ago when my car had the steering gear replaced that even if the replacement steering gear was good, if it is over-torqued during installation it will have the same issues. I was VERY concerned about this seeing that so many techs have no regard for proper torque specs.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #44
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD787 View Post
His financial loss will be made up in a few years when the Accord has a resale value that a Focus owner could only dream of.

Original poster it sounds like your second steering rack was a defective unit as well, or was installed incorrectly. I remember reading about a year ago when my car had the steering gear replaced that even if the replacement steering gear was good, if it is over-torqued during installation it will have the same issues. I was VERY concerned about this seeing that so many techs have no regard for proper torque specs.
I unfortunately believe you are correct and that it was not torqued to spec. Seeing how the service department at the dealer which replaced my rack is run, it is a very big possibility it was not torqued correctly.

I too was fearful of this happening when it was getting installed...
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #45
JMD787
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91481
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 JMD787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I was extremely annoying to the dealership about that issue when mine was replaced. Sometimes it pays to be a little annoying though. They printed out a document that had the torque sequence and specs and had the tech follow it during the installation. Now it drives absolutely perfect.

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time with your car, I'm sure it's frustrating as hell. It's amazing how someone with an internet connection can find out information about a cars issue and the dealer can be so clueless.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #46
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD787 View Post
I was extremely annoying to the dealership about that issue when mine was replaced. Sometimes it pays to be a little annoying though. They printed out a document that had the torque sequence and specs and had the tech follow it during the installation. Now it drives absolutely perfect.

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time with your car, I'm sure it's frustrating as hell. It's amazing how someone with an internet connection can find out information about a cars issue and the dealer can be so clueless.
This is what pisses me off. I shouldn't have to be annoying to someone for them to do their job.

I do my job correctly without having to be told, why can't others?

Especially in this case when something which sounds so simple, tighting bolts, can cause a malfunction.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #47
dissident
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63874
What I Drive: 2000 grand am

FF Reputation: 1 dissident Good Standing Member
electric power steering and these 'automated manual' transmissions strike me as fixing things that are not broken. People always scream about how much gas a torque converter wastes and the like but I've never actually seen this in real life conditions nor have I ever had a problem with torque converters, automatics, or come to detest them as some car people do for whatever reason.... as for electronic power steering, the wandering problem is not limited to fords.. toyota corolla have had and do have the same problem. I want to feel connected to the road, I want the car to drive straight naturally due to the laws of physics at fast interstate speeds, not wander all over because of an electric motor that does not respond to these laws... these items have made me hesitant to upgrade besides the fact that new cars are just plain expensive and a bad economic investment.

Want a real gas mileage boost? Start making more diesel powered vehicles and stop whining about the supposed problems that diesel has... right now my going on 13 year old Grand Am still runs great.. it's supposed to be an unreliable vehicle but it's actually been the opposite, and all the things that do go wrong with it are easily fixed with $40 parts on ebay. (power window regulator, blinker switch, etc) so I see no reason to upgrade 'just because' something might happen.. that's what AAA is for... or upgrade because I'm 'bored' with the car, because I'm actually not. :)
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #48
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Points 147, Level 2
Points: 147, Level: 2 Points: 147, Level: 2 Points: 147, Level: 2
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
electric power steering and these 'automated manual' transmissions strike me as fixing things that are not broken.
They're there to meet gov fuel economy standards. Perhaps the standards are broken?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #49
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 534, Level 10
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
So you dumped your Focus and lost a good chunk of money, spent even more money on an Accord Sport, and you're only getting 2-3MPG better than the Focus? That sounds like a poor financial decision to me, but I'm glad you're happy. I was once considering dumping my Focus, but it wasn't for an MPG gain. It was me being stupid.
I don't think he dumped the Focus solely for MPG gains. He was probably driven to it by Ford's refusal to correct obvious problems in their product (and their dealerships). Everything is "normal" if they don't want to fix it. That's one way to keep your warranty costs down.

Oh, and way to call him 'stupid' without actually doing so. Bravo! Very clever.

"I once thought of doing the same thing as you, but then I realized I was being stupid." LOL
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #50
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 534, Level 10
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
I do my job correctly without having to be told, why can't others?
Because most people don't give a shit.

Remember that people who take pride in their work and strive to do a good job are the exception rather than the norm.

Most people are so short-sighted that they can't see past the timeclock. They do as little as possible to keep their jobs and haven't a clue how their performance or lack of it affects the bottom line... nor do they care. Until their employer goes out of business or fires them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.