One Year Later - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #31
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
It's the truth.

My average on the Focus for the first 6-7 months before they applied the transmission TSB was around 31.5MPG driving very conservatively. Driving the same way in my 2005 Cobalt (stick, bought in college) I averaged 32.5MPG. After the TSB? I averaged 27.5MPG driving the *exact* same way, over the exact same routes. My commute didn't change, neither did my social life. It's been pretty much the same since I bought the car (we have other cars used for other purposes).

Traded in the car and got a 2013 Accord Sport 6MT. I drive with ECON mode off at all times and, driving on the same routes, I average 30MPG. It's a bigger car with a bigger engine...and it gets better gas mileage.

The best part? While I used to drive the Focus like a granny I drive this thing like I normally drive...a bit heavier on the accel than I should. Even with that note, I still get 2-3MPG better. It's ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh, and it's not *just* electric steering that is the problem. My Accord Sport has all-electric steering and it has no troubles at all. It drives exactly how I'd expect it to.

The problem is that Ford now went the cheap route in their product. Kia and Hyundai do it in almost all of their cars (which is how they make a great profit selling cars for 1/3 less than the competition), and now Ford has followed suite. Ford used a *ton* of cheap parts in the new Focus, and it shows.
It may be the truth for you, Some Guy and others, but not for all. Not for me. My mileage is higher than I ever expected. Never dreamed I'd average 34 mpg on a 22 mile suburban commute with a stoplight roughly every mile and stretches of bumper to bumper now and then.

And it didn't change after I got 12B37. If anything it's been trending slightly higher since then. So the TSB is not the problem per se.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with Ford. It does sound like your car had a mechanical problem resulting in the low mpg's. And maybe Some Guy's does too. But not all.

And same for the electric steering. Mine's been fine, no problems. So it's not Ford's electric steering per se. If there was an inherent flaw the majority of professional reviews wouldn't have called the Focus's steering best in class (or at least a close second's to the Mazda3). Some like Some Guy's clearly have problems that need to be fixed. But not all. Who's to say some Accords, even yours, won't develop steering issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
There is one other cause for wandering. The REAR wheels may be out of alignment and cause wandering and tracking problems. Have they been checked? If after I fix something and it Still has a problem, I assume the problem is elsewhere and determine what else affects the performance of the issue in question. What about the motor and transmission mounts? If they are defective, alignments will be off after a while due to misalignment of the trans. connections etc. (I'm guessing here, not familiar with the Focus front design). The point is, what else have they checked?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #33
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
There is one other cause for wandering. The REAR wheels may be out of alignment and cause wandering and tracking problems. Have they been checked? If after I fix something and it Still has a problem, I assume the problem is elsewhere and determine what else affects the performance of the issue in question. What about the motor and transmission mounts? If they are defective, alignments will be off after a while due to misalignment of the trans. connections etc. (I'm guessing here, not familiar with the Focus front design). The point is, what else have they checked?
With the last alignment I received in December, the front and rear toe AND thrust angle were off. They were corrected as far as I know.

I have driven with bad motor mounts on previous vehicles and I do not have any feeling in the car that would tell me that could be a problem.

I spoke to a Regional Rep, Rebecca, today, and she was very kind and understanding. I will be scheduling another appointment in the near future to specifically have the steering rack checked that it was installed properly. She even came to the conclusion that after 4 alignments, maybe it is time to look elsewhere for an issue, and since this all started immediately after the steering rack was installed, maybe it IS the culprit.

I will be sure to keep this thread updated as I continue my quest for a resolution.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
It's the truth.

My average on the Focus for the first 6-7 months before they applied the transmission TSB was around 31.5MPG driving very conservatively. Driving the same way in my 2005 Cobalt (stick, bought in college) I averaged 32.5MPG. After the TSB? I averaged 27.5MPG driving the *exact* same way, over the exact same routes. My commute didn't change, neither did my social life. It's been pretty much the same since I bought the car (we have other cars used for other purposes).

Traded in the car and got a 2013 Accord Sport 6MT. I drive with ECON mode off at all times and, driving on the same routes, I average 30MPG. It's a bigger car with a bigger engine...and it gets better gas mileage.

The best part? While I used to drive the Focus like a granny I drive this thing like I normally drive...a bit heavier on the accel than I should. Even with that note, I still get 2-3MPG better. It's ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh, and it's not *just* electric steering that is the problem. My Accord Sport has all-electric steering and it has no troubles at all. It drives exactly how I'd expect it to.

The problem is that Ford now went the cheap route in their product. Kia and Hyundai do it in almost all of their cars (which is how they make a great profit selling cars for 1/3 less than the competition), and now Ford has followed suite. Ford used a *ton* of cheap parts in the new Focus, and it shows.
So you dumped your Focus and lost a good chunk of money, spent even more money on an Accord Sport, and you're only getting 2-3MPG better than the Focus? That sounds like a poor financial decision to me, but I'm glad you're happy. I was once considering dumping my Focus, but it wasn't for an MPG gain. It was me being stupid. Either way, my MPG in my Focus has been great, no complaints.

Back to the OP's topic, my car drives straight as an arrow in city and on highway here in San Diego. I can easily drive it with one finger. As you already know, something is wrong with your car.

I really hope you get it fixed properly, because this car is awesome to drive!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #35
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
So you dumped your Focus and lost a good chunk of money, spent even more money on an Accord Sport, and you're only getting 2-3MPG better than the Focus? That sounds like a poor financial decision to me, but I'm glad you're happy. I was once considering dumping my Focus, but it wasn't for an MPG gain. It was me being stupid. Either way, my MPG in my Focus has been great, no complaints.

Back to the OP's topic, my car drives straight as an arrow in city and on highway here in San Diego. I can easily drive it with one finger. As you already know, something is wrong with your car.

I really hope you get it fixed properly, because this car is awesome to drive!
Members in the Kia Optima Forum sum it up best, it is as if my car has no "center" position on the steering wheel. It is for the most part, either left or right. For very VERY brief moments my car will drive straight, but no where near the distance it should before slowly shifting left or right.

Like I said, if someone drove my car for 5,10,15 minutes they might not notice the problem and just shake it off as road crowning or potholes/bumps. But after driving a long distance, or driving it daily, you will notice you are almost always making the SMALLEST of corrections, fractions of an inch just to keep going straight, ALL. THE. TIME. Sometimes, well a lot of the time, you can feel/see yourself zig zagging between the lane, while every other car on the road and in your same lane is still driving perfectly straight, even after hitting large bumps or potholes. My focus used to drive nicely, just like every other car, but since I got the new rack/numerous alignments...it just is very twitchy, left-right-left-right-left-right....
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #36
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Members in the Kia Optima Forum sum it up best, it is as if my car has no "center" position on the steering wheel. It is for the most part, either left or right. For very VERY brief moments my car will drive straight, but no where near the distance it should before slowly shifting left or right.

Like I said, if someone drove my car for 5,10,15 minutes they might not notice the problem and just shake it off as road crowning or potholes/bumps. But after driving a long distance, or driving it daily, you will notice you are almost always making the SMALLEST of corrections, fractions of an inch just to keep going straight, ALL. THE. TIME. Sometimes, well a lot of the time, you can feel/see yourself zig zagging between the lane, while every other car on the road and in your same lane is still driving perfectly straight, even after hitting large bumps or potholes. My focus used to drive nicely, just like every other car, but since I got the new rack/numerous alignments...it just is very twitchy, left-right-left-right-left-right....
Sorry to hear that man, I really hope you get it fixed. I live in San Diego, and I haven't had a bad experience at the Ford dealership that I go to yet. As a matter of fact, it's been quite the opposite. The dealership has been awesome and very helpful.

After about 3 or 4 months into owning the car, the AC would rumble when it was on the higher fan settings. I took it in and they fixed it the same day without even a question.

Other than that small issue, my car has been flawless. I know that yours can be the same, so keep fighting if you have it in you!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #37
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Not mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post

This is exactly how my car is! Adjustments are not difficult, I can drive it with 1 finger - but I have to make a correction or give constant pressure - like I'm fighting the crown in the road - pretty much every 3 seconds to stay in my lane. But there really isn't any rhyme or reason to which side I have to push on i.e.: wind, crown, etc.

That's why I didn't think I would qualify for the steering TSB. It doesn't lock up, it just doesn't track straight. Maybe I have an alignment issue or something. But rather than try to fight the dealership, I'm going to live with it. Seems easier. Besides, I'd much rather fight the dealer to fix my clutch than my steering.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #38
Sal Paradise
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108914
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Sal Paradise Good Standing Member
Mine is a little twitchy when driven on the slab. My Ford Freestar van is super stable on the Thruway with its long wheelbase and hydraulic steering. With my Focus, its just a tad twitchy.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #39
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Not mine?

This is exactly how my car is! Adjustments are not difficult, I can drive it with 1 finger - but I have to make a correction or give constant pressure - like I'm fighting the crown in the road - pretty much every 3 seconds to stay in my lane. But there really isn't any rhyme or reason to which side I have to push on i.e.: wind, crown, etc.

That's why I didn't think I would qualify for the steering TSB. It doesn't lock up, it just doesn't track straight. Maybe I have an alignment issue or something. But rather than try to fight the dealership, I'm going to live with it. Seems easier. Besides, I'd much rather fight the dealer to fix my clutch than my steering.
The problem you described is exactly what i am experiencing now, however it is a different problem than the tsb. Before with my old rack, the car drove straight without constant input to the wheel, however over 40mph only, did it sway left and right. At low speeds it drove beautifully. I would have lived with that problem if I knew this current steering situation could occur. right now this steering problem is way worse than the steering wander associated with the tsb.

Last edited by Some Guy From NY; 02-01-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #40
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfloorpie View Post
What about the thousands of people employed by those hundreds of dealerships that you say should have been closed?
I'd say that they should have done better work.

Bookmarks & Social Networks