2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 199 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #1981
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I removed the endlinks entirely and ziptied the sway bar tight with heavy duty wire ties, with tension in both directions (up and down). That thing wasn't moving anywhere.

Regardless of what I did, the noise didn't improve when I removed the endlinks or mass dampers.

The last thing I did prior to trading the car was reinstall the stock dampers, strut bearings, mounts, and associated hardware. The noise got worse after reinstalling the factory bits.
Zillon ,when you unhooked the endlinks on the front sway bar how did the car handle ?did you notice an increase in side to side movement(rocking),or any changes in handling on your test drive. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #1982
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfocus View Post
Zillon ,when you unhooked the endlinks on the front sway bar how did the car handle ?did you notice an increase in side to side movement(rocking),or any changes in handling on your test drive. thanks
Didn't push it through any corners for obvious reasons. I was only interested in finding out whether disconnecting the sway bar would affect the noise or not.

It didn't.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #1983
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

thanks for reply, was trying to see how much effect if any sway bar has on suspension and steering in straight driving,taking curves easy and going over bumps .
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #1984
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
thanks for reply, was trying to see how much effect if any sway bar has on suspension and steering in straight driving,taking curves easy and going over bumps .
A lot.

I wouldn't ever recommend disconnecting the front sway bar for daily driving.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #1985
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Zillon no i wasn't going to disconnect the sway bar,have been trying to solve some suspension/steering issues that the "Engineering Dept" hasn't been able to figure out.the problems started after the steering rack was improperly installed the first time was thinking they could have damaged the front sway bar.i think i may have fixed it yesterday installed a steeda rear sway bar with a greasable bushing ;seems to have taken care of most of the problems so far if they come back will try the front bar.Except for the clunk which is worse now, going to try dysan911's trick . thank you for your help
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #1986
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade-010 View Post
One thing I always noticed is that when I took it in and they put it up in the air to chk it, (unloading the suspension) the sound would go away for almost a month. so we will see what happens
Same observation, just had mine at dealer for 20k the works.. and had asked for loaner so they could check front clunk... I was positive they would hear it.. you couldnt miss it.. turns out they did the works service first and then test drove so by lifting the car the noise did go away... When they called me back saying no front end clunking I couldnt believe it.. asked them to keep it for the night so the tech can drive it home and back next morning put more miles testing.. They kept it.. Still no clunk.. Next day when I went in we did another test drive together sure enough no clunk... Lifting the car did a temporary fix...(Weird) Noise is now back after couple hundred miles..
Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #1987
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
Does anyone know if there has been a TSB issued for the strut noise?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
...What would be valuable now is if Cory can check...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
...Perhaps Cory can confirm that as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade-010 View Post
...when I took it in and they put it up in the air to chk it, (unloading the suspension) the sound would go away for almost a month...
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowah View Post
...I'm thinking of taking my car to an independent suspension place to lube the bump stops to see if that solves the problem...
Quote:
...Except for the clunk which is worse now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
...Noise is now back after couple hundred miles..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dib52 View Post
...my 2013 just developed this mysterious clunk...
Iím sorry for missing the updates on this thread, guys. No, I donít have available info on this. These things take time, so I appreciate everyone staying strong. If youíve experienced this, itís important to PM me. For those who havenít already, please include your VIN, current mileage, full name, phone number, and dealer details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han.MK3 View Post
...I am finally clunk free!!!...
Han.MK3,

This is great news! Thanks for sharing.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #1988
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
so dysan and han mk3....
is the front still noise free?
im going to do mine next thursday, and am wondering if you could describe really exactly where you put the grease....

thanks, and hope all is quiet in the focus front:)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #1989
Han.MK3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101704
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Mk3 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Han.MK3 Good Standing Member
Mine is still clunk free as of today. Although I hear a different rattle now but I think is one of the reservoirs. I just covered the entire bumpstop with a mobil 1 synthetic grease using my fingers. I didn't even had to remove the wheel.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using FF Mobile
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #1990
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Im am still completely clunk free. I had my car loaded down with some friends from work yesterday and they're not little guys either. Not a single sound from the front end at all no matter what the road conditions were.

I found the best way to grease the bump stop is to head to wallmart and pick you up one of these.

It even comes with a little section of clear tubing that you can twist onto the end of the syringe. I took a plastic spoon and scooped up some of the grease I bought from autozone. (its actually a ford motor brand). Raked the grease into the end of the syringe and just kept adding more and packing it in.

Got the front jacked up, Wheel off. Reach up and give that plastic accordian style dust cover a turn left or right and wiggle it off. It just snaps in place.

Next I took a thin long screw driver and carefully inserted it into tip of the bump stomp and pryed it back enough to slide the syringe w/Clear tubing on it so that it would travel along side the strut shaft up deep into the bump stop and squeezed the syringe until I saw some grease come out. Then I gave the bump stop a turn (it will turn in it's mount). This spread the grease all around the area .

All done!. No more clunk! Snap the dust cover back in place.

Bookmarks & Social Networks