6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Did you know that 62% of statistics are made up on the spot?
83.7%, actually.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #42
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Do I understand your position is that a driver-adaptive transmission software should ignore the driver?
Wow, delving back to a post 5 months ago. Ancient history. But I think I was thinking that a DCT should not shudder violently or grind in any way because of the way any given driver is depressing the accelerator. My shuddering has come and gone several times with no change in my driving style so I know based on my own experience that the shuddering was not caused by driver error. It had to be the software.

And the extent of driver-adaptability of the software is a hotly debated question. The most I've ever found in a Ford document was that it's designed to monitor driving habits (e.g. usual rate of acceleration) and fine tune the operation over the long term to accommodate (e.g. faster shifts). Therefore if wifey borrows the husband's commuter and drives completely differently, it won't all of a sudden start shuddering and grinding.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #43
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Wow, delving back to a post 5 months ago. Ancient history. But I think I was thinking that a DCT should not shudder violently or grind in any way because of the way any given driver is depressing the accelerator. My shuddering has come and gone several times with no change in my driving style so I know based on my own experience that the shuddering was not caused by driver error. It had to be the software.

And the extent of driver-adaptability of the software is a hotly debated question. The most I've ever found in a Ford document was that it's designed to monitor driving habits (e.g. usual rate of acceleration) and fine tune the operation over the long term to accommodate (e.g. faster shifts). Therefore if wifey borrows the husband's commuter and drives completely differently, it won't all of a sudden start shuddering and grinding.
Sorry, didn't notice the date. Henceforth I will only respond to posts made in the previous ninety-six hours or less. I did notice, however, that you didn't actually answer my question.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #44
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,565, Level 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Sorry, didn't notice the date. Henceforth I will only respond to posts made in the previous ninety-six hours or less. I did notice, however, that you didn't actually answer my question.
I thought I did. More clear: No it shouldn't ignore the driver, but it also should not engage the clutch in such a way as to induce shudder just because the driver (or a new driver borrowing the car) does something slightly differently than 1 minute ago. Or in my case, because the driver does the same thing he's always done. The software should be fully capable of engaging the clutch appropriately regardless of the driver flooring it to get out of the way of a semi or feathering it to maximize fuel economy.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #45
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,947, Level 33
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
The software should be fully capable of engaging the clutch appropriately regardless of the driver flooring it to get out of the way of a semi or feathering it to maximize fuel economy.
Agreed. I think this is an issue. I drive almost ALL highway miles. During the summer, after a 50 mile drive congestion-free drive I hit the downtown Milwaukee traffic. All of a sudden the car starts lunging and grinding because it had become to used to my grandma-esque driving so when I need it to get its shit together and drive like a manual, it can't.

EDIT: Though, this might just be due to the fact that my clutch finally heats up after x miles of driving, so when I do finally need to shift it starts acting crazy because it's just a bad clutch.

Last edited by PratoN; 01-31-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #46
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,213, Level 41
Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
And the extent of driver-adaptability of the software is a hotly debated question. The most I've ever found in a Ford document was that it's designed to monitor driving habits (e.g. usual rate of acceleration) and fine tune the operation over the long term to accommodate (e.g. faster shifts).
The DCT "learns" nothing about the driver.
This is just a recurring myth.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #47
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,565, Level 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
The DCT "learns" nothing about the driver.
This is just a recurring myth.
Does any transmission "learn" from the driver?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #48
Dib52
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107012
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback

Points 219, Level 4
Points: 219, Level: 4 Points: 219, Level: 4 Points: 219, Level: 4
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Dib52 Good Standing Member
2013 Titanium for us. I've waited to post on a lot of the topics here because I wanted to get a good feel for the car with some quality miles under it. We're just a bit over the 2500mi mark and things seem pretty good. At first, the car did the little "stutter" with the trans but it has smoothed out. I was paranoid at first and after reading the horror stories here, but happy to report that all seems well. I guess only time will tell...
On a side note... our's has the "click, click, whoosh" sounds waiting to fire up or after turning off and opening the door that has been discussed on the forum. We've just learned to live with it. I guess "normal" is a relative term.
Unrelated to the DCT, our Focus has developed the left front rattle during slow speed maneuvers transitioning between pavements that is a hot topic here. Guess Ford hasn't quite figured that out yet for the 2013's. At least now I know where to look.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #49
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
As far as i can tell the "adaptive learning" on the DCT is simply the computer learning the tolerances of the clutch and shift motors to optimize shifting so it knows how FAST it can operate the clutch and shifting in relation to one another. The preprogrammed defaults have much slower clutch and shift response and it gets quicker as it "learns" how fast it can do the two.

Unfortunately the software seems to be total garbage on certain vehicles and the default mode works more reliably with less grinding.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #50
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,947, Level 33
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
As far as i can tell the "adaptive learning" on the DCT is simply the computer learning the tolerances of the clutch and shift motors to optimize shifting so it knows how FAST it can operate the clutch and shifting in relation to one another. The preprogrammed defaults have much slower clutch and shift response and it gets quicker as it "learns" how fast it can do the two.

Unfortunately the software seems to be total garbage on certain vehicles and the default mode works more reliably with less grinding.
This article summed it up for me: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=2574

But it mentions "driving style" - which is what throws everyone off. I could see how me driving like a grandma all the time, the computer would say "Hey, he wants slushbox-esque shifts all the time." and then my clutch(es) falls apart because it's disengaging them too slowly.

But I have no proof that that's what "driving style" means. It could just mean I don't have the pedal to the floor at that point in time - not that it remembers how I drive (which would be horrid for a car with multiple drivers like rentals).

EDIT: Maybe this is better, it doesn't mention the dry clutch, but it does mention the UK wet clutch system(s):

Quote:
The TCM incorporates sophisticated, adaptive learning procedures. After the prescribed running-in period the transmission will provide optimum gear shifting smoothness for all conditions irrespective of terrain or driver input. The transmission will adapt to perform within its optimum window of operation to always provide maximum smoothness when changing gear, irrespective of the mode selected.
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=34131

Last edited by PratoN; 03-19-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.