6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
drex83
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92981
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 drex83 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 2012 5-Door Titanium. I will admit the transmission takes some getting used to and after 10 months I'm still not sure if I'm used to it. I only have about 4000 miles (small town=super short commute) and haven't seen the expected gas mileage yet but hoping that will come. My biggest issue has been with noise in the front end from a strut issue that was just fixed (fingers crossed).

Regarding cheap materials...I have leather seats and love them. I prefer Ford's leather to Chevy, Nissan, or Honda. As for the cargo area, I bought a a rubber mat to protect the trunk and it works for me.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
wmprof
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23025
What I Drive: 2012 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 wmprof Good Standing Member
Been driving sticks and autos for almost 40 years now. I have the powershift in my 2012 TI and love it. 13,000 miles and it gets better every day. Drive the car, don't let it drive you. It's NOT an automatic, it's an automated manual!

Don't know if this video has been posted on FF, but found it on the Fiesta forums. This is Ford PR stuff and gives a good laymen's explanation of the technology. Dealers should be made to show video to buyers of PS car. btw, it's a sticky on the Fiesta site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AX1DN04vZPk
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #33
Zeeky
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109305
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE

Points 344, Level 6
Points: 344, Level: 6 Points: 344, Level: 6 Points: 344, Level: 6
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Zeeky Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmprof View Post
Been driving sticks and autos for almost 40 years now. I have the powershift in my 2012 TI and love it. 13,000 miles and it gets better every day. Drive the car, don't let it drive you. It's NOT an automatic, it's an automated manual!
@wmprof: Any tips on how to drive the car?

I have a 2012 Focus SE that I just got, and I am coming from a late 90s V-6 Lumina. Having looked at the forums the last few days, I am becoming really depressed. I see report after report of transmission problems, replacements, etc. The whole reason I bought a "new" car was that I didn't want to have to have a constant worry. Now though, I have constant worry AND a car payment.

Coming from a V-6 automatic Lumina, and having never driven stick in my life, I am hoping that I just need to get used to the difference. Still, I feel like I can't trust that the car will get power when it needs it. My lumina had some engine issues, so I was very used to driving it with an insanely light foot. With my Focus, if I use an insanely light foot, it feels like I can't trust that my car will go forward fast enough for me to not get creamed by oncoming traffic when I am turning.

I am dreading that my transmission might well need to be replaced at any given point. Many people seem to have transmission issues within the first 5 to 15 thousand miles with this car. I understand that this is an automated manual, not an automatic...but I could really use any tips on how to make my driving experience better. I am literally having trouble falling asleep at night because I am worried that I have bought a lemon. I even had a co-worker ask me today what caused my change in mood, as just a few days ago I was over the moon, but now I am noticeably troubled (her words).

So, any driving tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #34
wmprof
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23025
What I Drive: 2012 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 wmprof Good Standing Member
Number one tip would be to stop reading negative posts!

Most of the problems here are founded in ignorance, by owners and service departments alike.

Read up on how to drive a stick, then operate the foot feed as if driving a stick and you'll be fine. Remember the car learns from your driving style and the harder you push it the more fun it will be to drive. These cars get out of their own way just fine!

If everyone who loves their Focus transmission posted, the ratio would likely be 10,000 to one pro vs con.

I think you made an excellent choice purchasing a Focus and will enjoy the car for years to come. Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativism get you down!!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #35
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82372
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr PowerShudder

Points 57, Level 1
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Doctor Drew Good Standing Member
I only have 3,000 miles on my '12 (Had the car since Oct, I don't drive a lot), but lately it seems to have been on its best behavior. I might even dare say, I'm beginning to like the transmission.

I was especially surprised by how well it handled snow.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #36
champorado
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109368
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus TDCi PowerShift

FF Reputation: 1 champorado Good Standing Member
~8,000 miles and loving it!

I have seen so many negative feedback (in the US market) about the powershift.

Coming from a mazda protege 1.6L auto (which is named Ford Lynx from where I am), I switched to a Focus mk2.5 (2011) TDCi Powershift (Its a Diesel) and loving all 136 horsies and 235ft-lb power it provides!

There's significant difference in the 'feel' but in the end, you'll get used to it.

I agree to many posts here that its all about knowing how the tranny works and how it behaves from a given throttle input.

Anyway, the 2013 (petrol/gasoline) variant just came out here and havent tried it. I'm hearing good feedback about it (including very good fuel consumption on heavy Manila traffic)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #37
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Points 1,977, Level 26
Points: 1,977, Level: 26 Points: 1,977, Level: 26 Points: 1,977, Level: 26
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy75 View Post
Ok, went to the dealership and drove a PowerShift yesterday. Seems to drive fine and shifts smoothly, but it definitely does drop the revs as soon as it can so that the second you come to any incline it has to change a few gears. I have a feeling that a stick would be a lot more enjoyable with an engine this small.

The Focus rides and handles nicely, but I'm going from a Mazda 6 with a V6 and after driving the Focus I couldn't help but feel that I'm going to be downgrading. There are certain things on the Focus that scream "cheap", like the carpeting, the rear seats, the trunk liner, etc.

That said, the Focus gets much better mileage and will be lots lighter for towing behind my RV.

Cam
I'm not sure if comparing a Ford Focus to a Mazda 6 would be a fair comparison since the Mazda 6 is kind of a flagship car with Mazda and in a entirely different segment (mid-to-full size sedans) so I would presume the trim would be a bit more on the nicer side.

Also, one of the first things I did when I got my hatch was put a cheap trunk liner in there from Walmart (which I trimmed to fit) because I knew with the groceries and hockey and snowboarding equipment I'll be putting in there it's a safe bet against moisture. :)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #38
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Most of the problems here are founded in ignorance, by owners and service departments alike.
That itself is such an ignorant statement. Unless you've actually driven the cars of those complaining on here, you have no idea if they're ignorant or have a legitimate problem.

Quote:
If everyone who loves their Focus transmission posted, the ratio would likely be 10,000 to one pro vs con.
Did you know that 62% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by champorado View Post
I have seen so many negative feedback (in the US market) about the powershift.

Coming from a mazda protege 1.6L auto (which is named Ford Lynx from where I am), I switched to a Focus mk2.5 (2011) TDCi Powershift (Its a Diesel) and loving all 136 horsies and 235ft-lb power it provides!

There's significant difference in the 'feel' but in the end, you'll get used to it.

I agree to many posts here that its all about knowing how the tranny works and how it behaves from a given throttle input.

Anyway, the 2013 (petrol/gasoline) variant just came out here and havent tried it. I'm hearing good feedback about it (including very good fuel consumption on heavy Manila traffic)
Yes but you will have the wet-clutch DCT with your diesel which is a different animal. You don't know if our dry-clutch DCT drives differently or is more prone to developing problems like shudder, slipping, leaking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Drew View Post
I only have 3,000 miles on my '12 (Had the car since Oct, I don't drive a lot), but lately it seems to have been on its best behavior. I might even dare say, I'm beginning to like the transmission.
Funny how the car's performance on any given day can change one's attitude right? Mine's been behaving lately too and I find myself significantly less annoyed by it!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #39
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,279, Level 35
Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Drew View Post
I only have 3,000 miles on my '12 (Had the car since Oct, I don't drive a lot), but lately it seems to have been on its best behavior. I might even dare say, I'm beginning to like the transmission. I was especially surprised by how well it handled snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
...Funny how the car's performance on any given day can change one's attitude right? Mine's been behaving lately too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by champorado View Post
...I switched to a Focus mk2.5 (2011) TDCi Powershift (Its a Diesel) and loving all 136 horsies and 235ft-lb power it provides!...
wmprof, Doctor Drew, kam327, & champorado,

It makes my morning better when I see posts like these; thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeky View Post
...I understand that this is an automated manual, not an automatic...but I could really use any tips on how to make my driving experience better. I am literally having trouble falling asleep at night because I am worried...
Welcome to the forum, Zeeky! Youíll see a lot of users here say how much they love their ride. I really like the Focus too (but Iím definitely biased ). A tip for driving is to put the pedal down (safely, of course); it was designed to be driven! One thing to help you sleep at night is the fact that Iím here to lend a hand if needed.

Hereís another video on the PowerShift 6-speed automatic transmission:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bonus: This is an article explaining what went into designing the transmission:

http://social.ford.com/our-articles/...c-transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
...because I knew with the groceries and hockey and snowboarding equipment I'll be putting in there it's a safe bet against moisture. :)
dutd33,

Enjoy the fresh powder and shake that extra snow off before putting your board in.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I'm sorry, but an "auto" transmission that is supposed to be fully protected by the software (e.g. preventing travel into too-high or too-low rpm ranges) should not be able to be foiled by the actions of the operator. Ford chose the DCT which is potentially more software-dependent than any transmission to come before it. Therefore the software should guarantee proper operation independent of the driver. Period.
Do I understand your position is that a driver-adaptive transmission software should ignore the driver?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.