anyone using premium gas ? - Page 69 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #681
Ranx0r0x
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109077
What I Drive: 2013, White, SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Ranx0r0x Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
thejordan,

You are right about the cost trade off and since this is specifically about MPG that's a big deal. Even that has trade offs even if there is an improvement. Improvement around town? Improvement on the freeway? Improvement in both but mostly in one? None at all? I suspect that improvement would be mostly in stop light to stop light driving. That's a pretty easy calculation to determine if it's worth it or not.

Getting into possible performance benefits and question becomes tougher. That's not generally about the money.

Part of the problem I think is in Ford's own sloppy use of the term "performance". I mean, really, what does that mean? Higher torque at the given RPM? Higher or equal torque in a lower RPM? Higher torque across range?

...or are they equating performance with MPG? Or both?

A rather weasely word on Ford's part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #682
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Sitting and idling isn't bad, but it isn't necessary. I can promise you your engine will warm up faster if you drive it instead.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #683
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Is there any way to get the normal (non-winter) gas? I rarely start driving on a cold engine.
On that note, it takes almost 5 minutes for the engine to warm up in this 25 degree weather. Is it better to drive it cold since i'm not getting any "mpg" while sitting there at 0 mph? Or should I warm it up like I have been doing? I thought that colder engine uses more gas.
Nope, no one carries summer blend gas throughout the winter. It has nothing to do with just starting to drive on a cold engine, more so with the emissions during the winter time. Its bad for fuel economy to sit there and idling, and the engine will warm up better if you drive the car gently right away.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #684
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
not to mention other drivetain parts will warm up to operating temp by driving it. usually most cars have TGVs or butterfly valves to protect itself until it's warm.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #685
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
that is good to know. I was always told to warm it up before driving. I guess it's actually you have to warm up the car before DRIVING >8)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #686
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
that is good to know. I was always told to warm it up before driving. I guess it's actually you have to warm up the car before DRIVING >8)
it's more of an old school thing when vehicles still used carbs, weren't designed to be well lubricated, etc. nowadays it doesn't matter, you're wasting gas idling since it'll take longer to warm up than driving.

it's like a warm up for practice, run to warm up.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #687
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
I've noticed far more stability with the 91. If I'm aggressive the mpg seems to flatline in the. 9.? L/100. With 87 it would jump the second I hit the gas right up into the teens. Aggressive driving on 91 nets me more than 100 km per tank vs driving like miss daisy on 87.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #688
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Here is an interesting idea:

Those who have a 2012 TI or I think virtually any 2013 that is designated as being able to use E85, I think they are tuned to scale better with higher octanes. E85 from my understanding has a much higher anti-knock rating, hence why people throw it in for race applications. The big requirement for engines to use E85 from what I remember is high pressure (Direct injection) and a tune that can scale the ignition timing higher to take advantage of the higher anti-knock properties, hence more power!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #689
SPRAYPAINT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89747
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 SPRAYPAINT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
the 2.0l gdi ti-vct is tuned to adjust for whatever octane rating of fuel you've put in it. Since it is a high compression motor (12.0:1 compression ratio) it can take advantage of the increased energy density of high octane fuel and will produce more torque. If this were five years ago and the engine were fuel injected, it would require premium fuel to run properly. The advantage of direct injection, and more advanced control systems and sensors, is that you can run lower octane fuels without issue if you want to save some money.

I have noticed that i get a bit more low to mid-range grunt when driving on a tank of premium. This helps me get slightly better fuel economy around town, but when i'm doing days of highway driving, the octane rating seems to have less of an effect on fuel economy.

Be careful with randomly filling up any old car with premium, however. With some cars it will do more harm than good, or it will just do nothing. The focus has a pretty snazzy engine, however, which is why you're seeing the improvements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
"my friend said it can't hurt the car and its "good to clean out the car" with high octane - once a month he said".

This is the point where you stop believing everything you're told. This is also the school of thought that has been making fuel companies rich for decades.

Octane has no cleansing properties, and 93 has no more detergents in it than 87. Different brands of gas differ in their use of detergents, which is why you'll want to stick with top-tier fuel suppliers if cleanliness is a concern.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

octane is a pre-ignition eliminator, and that's all it does. It's good to use in higher-compression engines and turbo applications where pre-ignition can occur during high load situations. Pre-ignition manifests itself as spark knock and is akin to striking the tops of the pistons with a hammer.....something you'll want to prevent by using the fuel that's required in your owner's manual.

The 2.0 is engineered to run fine on 87. If you use 89 - 93 octane, you might experience a slight spark timing bump if this engine is set up to detect octane, like the nissan vq and many other engines are. This may yield you a couple of hp, and it may not. There may be a time during a hot summer day, with the a/c on and a car load of people where you accelerate and hear a slight 'ping', and bumping up a grade can eliminate that. But the spark knock detector on your engine is also there to back off the timing a degree or two to put a stop to it, so either way, your engine's best interests are being looked after. If you have excessive spark knock that won't go away, it's time to head to the dealership.

The 2.0t will give you spark advance with higher octane levels, and it's the only way to truly achieve 252 hp with that engine. With the use of 87, i believe it detunes itself to 244. But don't believe what you hear about 'cleaning your engine with octane'. It's simply not true.
i like

January 2012 Ride Of The Month
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #690
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadworthy View Post
Here is an interesting idea:

Those who have a 2012 TI or I think virtually any 2013 that is designated as being able to use E85, I think they are tuned to scale better with higher octanes. E85 from my understanding has a much higher anti-knock rating, hence why people throw it in for race applications. The big requirement for engines to use E85 from what I remember is high pressure (Direct injection) and a tune that can scale the ignition timing higher to take advantage of the higher anti-knock properties, hence more power!
E85 is not particularly high octane. It's on par with 90-93 AKI octane rating fuel generally. Pure Ethanol has a higher octane rating, but most of the time they blend in sub-octane gasoline with E85 in order to lower the cost per gallon.

People use it for race applications because its cheaper than racing fuel, contains its own oxygen supply, and has a cooling effect as compared to E10 when injected into the combustion chamber due to the higher latent heat of vaporization.

Bookmarks & Social Networks