Rattling in the engine bay? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
drummer829
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71497
What I Drive: 2005 liq grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 drummer829 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rattling in the engine bay?

hey guys, just recently I have noticed a little rattling in the engine bay. It is only when I am in 1st/2nd gear and slowing down to a stop sign, or when I push the clutch in at lower RPMs in first gear, like driving through a parking lot. When I take off at normal speed and accelerate normal then there is no sound. I drive a 2005 focus st. I am worrying that it is the clutch, but it grabs perfect through all 5 gears. I am also worrying it may be the 1st gear going out? Any help would be great. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
If the transmission and clutch are working properly...its probably not either of those.

Lots of things under the hood can rattle but some things I would check are: Engine mounts, sway bar end links (I would recommend Massive's as a replacement), sway bar bushings (under the car on top of the subframe).

More detail about the noise may be able to help pin-point it better.
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
drummer829
Focus Enthusiast

i mean its tough to describe because it only happens in lower gears when im driving through my subdivision (speed limit of 20) or through a parking lot. I wasnt sure if anyone else has had this problem before
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Kipp
FocusFest Event Team

Fan#: 31300
What I Drive: 2013 F150 4x4 5.0, 2014 HD 883 Iron

FF Reputation: 9 Kipp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
how many miles are on the car? also how loud it is? could be that the rattling does happen at higher speeds, but you can't hear it do to vehicle and road noise.
Midwest Crew #22
Official FocusFest Event Planner
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
drummer829
Focus Enthusiast

its loud enough to where I would notice it at higher speeds. The car currently has 78k miles. It also happens when i press the clutch in and leave it pressed in for too long if im coming to a stop sign, but again only in 1st or second gear. I also notice a little rattle when I first start the car.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
You might want to check the exhaust heat shields. I have a 2005 and have had to put fender washers at almost every attachment point.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
drummer829
Focus Enthusiast

I took a video of the sound. It only happens when I ride my clutch a little bit, like going up a driveway, but its after i hit the gas and the RPMs are settling down (if that makes sense). So there is no rattle when the RPMs are increasing, only when decreasing or or pushing in the clutch to go back to neutral. It happens in 1st, 2nd and reverse, but when im going slow. I listened really hard and couldnt hear it in any other gear or when I accelerated at a normal speed (like accelerating from a stop sign or light)

as for the video, you can hear the sound the best in the last couple seconds of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5SUH...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
Engine compartment noise

The noise seems to be responding to loading from the engine rocking in the mounts however I had a similar noise in my 2005 that drove me nuts for about 20K miles. I was sure it was coming from the right rear but it turned out to be the front swaybar links.

They are plastic and they are crap! If you haven't replaced those disconnect one side and check for a loose ball end. As one of the other responders noted do not use a standard replacement. Mine are Moog, they have grease fittings and work fine. I am sure the ones the other person recommended are good also.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
drummer829
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageT View Post
The noise seems to be responding to loading from the engine rocking in the mounts however I had a similar noise in my 2005 that drove me nuts for about 20K miles. I was sure it was coming from the right rear but it turned out to be the front swaybar links.

They are plastic and they are crap! If you haven't replaced those disconnect one side and check for a loose ball end. As one of the other responders noted do not use a standard replacement. Mine are Moog, they have grease fittings and work fine. I am sure the ones the other person recommended are good also.
ok thanks. so do you think those are the mounts or the front swaybar links. Also is it bad that I drive on it? I mean I dont have the money right now to fix it, but I dont want to continue to drive on it if it will make things worse or a bigger problem in the future
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
drummer829
Focus Enthusiast

I also looked under my car and noticed like some metal thing hanging down. Looks like its some protective piece or something. Maybe this is causing the sound? Its more torwards the middle of the car underneath it

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->