2012 Ford Focus Stereo (Sony) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109191
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Ford Focus Stereo (Sony)

OK, so i just traded my 2011 fiesta for a used 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. It has the Premium Sony Speaker system, with the Sync, but its the one without navigation. I have a couple questions concerning the sound system.

1) This Sony system sounds like absolute garbage. I have a hard time listening to music. It sounds like there is wires and plastic pieces vibrating inside the door. Not to mention, the speakers and tweeters themselves Crackle, and have really bad, Mids and Lows. My question is, has anyone else experienced the same thing i have?

2) Because of the poor quality of the audio, i would really like to replace all of the speakers, which brings me to my next question. Is it possible to keep the ford Mytouch/ Sync if i want to replace these speakers. Like could i use a Line Output Converter?

All answers will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
I have a focus Ti also and I'm going to replace the stock speakers with better stuff and run an audiocontrol LC7i an LC6i and an EQS along with my own amps and better sub. I'm waiting on my tax return to fund the project.

In the mean time, pop the cover on the center of the dash and unplug the center speaker, it will improve the soundstage.

There are 6.5" mids in all 4 doors and tweeters also and an 8" sub in the trunk or hatch. Look under the spare tire cover in the upper left corner you will find the factory sony amp. It has 3 plugs on it, the top one has the sub out put, the center plug has all 4 mids and all 4 tweeters on it. you will have to trace the wires to find out which is which, but that is where you want to tie in your LOC. Since you will be using an amplified signal, you will need a good LOC such as audiocontrol stuff that can handle up to 400w input, not some cheap 10 dollar piece of crap from pep boys or vato zone.

Since there are separate signals for the mids and tweets coming from the amp, an LC6i, or 7i or 8i can sum the input signals back together so you can run one channel per door and run your own components or coaxials or whatever.

If you do it right, then everything you have now will still work, it will just sound better.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Let me know if you end up doing, it. I may just go ahead with this route as well. Im replacing everything with Rockford Fosgate Components and maybe just put a single 12" ported.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have a little bit of rattle going on at only some frequencies in my '13 with the Sony 10 speaker system, but it actually sounds pretty damn good in my SE. I wonder if they changed something?
- Jody -
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
I have a little bit of rattle going on at only some frequencies in my '13 with the Sony 10 speaker system, but it actually sounds pretty damn good in my SE. I wonder if they changed something?
I have no idea, but its seriously dreadful to turn up the music.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
07XL1200c
road tripper

Fan#: 106908
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Metallic Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 07XL1200c Good Standing Member
sounds pretty damn good in my hatch

Hatch Nation #14

<-- 31 out of 50 traveled
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07XL1200c View Post
sounds pretty damn good in my hatch
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
EggYolkBill

Fan#: 8
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 21 EggYolkBill Great Standing Member
I have no real complaints with my '13 either. It could probably be a little louder but the sound is pretty clean for a stock system. Maybe I am just getting too old!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
pascalbp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109695
What I Drive: 2012, blue candy, focus

FF Reputation: 1 pascalbp Good Standing Member
Same thing here. It is garbage and I have hard time to listening music too. The max volume is probably the lowest ''max volume'' I never heard and the sound quality( mid, high ) is probably the worst quality for a new car lol. I think our solution is to change the 4 speakers and getting an amp. I buyed 4 Jl-Audio c2-650, can't wait to install them and see the difference...
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalbp View Post
Same thing here. It is garbage and I have hard time to listening music too. The max volume is probably the lowest ''max volume'' I never heard and the sound quality( mid, high ) is probably the worst quality for a new car lol. I think our solution is to change the 4 speakers and getting an amp. I buyed 4 Jl-Audio c2-650, can't wait to install them and see the difference...
You would have to do more than just buy new speakers, the actual factory unit is causing the speakers to not perform 100% because its a safety feature. They dont want you blowing up the speakers or hurting your ears.

Bookmarks & Social Networks