How successful is using Dynamat? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #41
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk570 View Post
Fill it with expanding foam. That'll do the trick. Before i had my Focus i had a Fiesta, 2011. I was running Two Sundown Audio 12s, along with a Rockford T-1500 BDcp, which pushed almost 2000w RMS. I tried everything, and nothing seemed to work, but then i tried the expanding foam, and the results were fantastic.
You are not explaining the importance of protecting wiring, etc.

Are you telling this member that expanding foam is a be all end all? I do have a little in my car but, it is for a certain thing.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #42
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The majority of road noise will come from the floor, fender wells, and cargo area... I noticed a 2db reduction from deadening my floor . the only places IMO that foam belongs, is places where structural bracing and sheet metal can hit against each other.

Quote:
Id stay away from Higher End applications like Second Skin and Dynamat, no matter what you do its gonna make a difference. I would only recommend higher end stuff if you were planning on doing some car audio work to it. But in terms rattle, even the cheap stuff will be just fine. Look into Fat Mat and Rattle Trap. Best bang for the buck in my book.
As for this, how many layers of the "cheap stuff" is needed to make the same difference one layer of higher end product ? the cost of Peel and seal times the amount of layers needed almost equals the price of the good stuff. Deadener does not stop rattles 100% , hence why expanding foam or additional bracing is needed in certain areas.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #43
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109191
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Zetechse View Post
The majority of road noise will come from the floor, fender wells, and cargo area... I noticed a 2db reduction from deadening my floor . the only places IMO that foam belongs, is places where structural bracing and sheet metal can hit against each other.

As for this, how many layers of the "cheap stuff" is needed to make the same difference one layer of higher end product ? the cost of Peel and seal times the amount of layers needed almost equals the price of the good stuff. Deadener does not stop rattles 100% , hence why expanding foam or additional bracing is needed in certain areas.
Also note though, most people misunderstand what Dynamat, Second Skin, Peel and Seal, etc is really for. All that stuff really does is add weight to panels and what not, to prevent them from vibrating more. More weight= less vibration. Yes, it will help with road noise slightly, but its not the best route to take if you wish to kill outside noises. Second Skin makes something thats called Luxury Liner, which is a layer of foam almost that you roll out in the car. I would recommend apply that to your floors and whatnot if you want to really "deaden" the car.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
You are not explaining the importance of protecting wiring, etc.

Are you telling this member that expanding foam is a be all end all? I do have a little in my car but, it is for a certain thing.
Im telling him i got better results from the foam rather than Sound Deadener.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #45
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

well yes mass loading a panel is the most common way to deaden a vehicle, but you also miss the fact that alot of deadeners also absorb vibration from the exterior and convert it into low level heat, peel and seal is pure mass loading, no other benifit
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #46
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk570 View Post
Also note though, most people misunderstand what Dynamat, Second Skin, Peel and Seal, etc is really for. All that stuff really does is add weight to panels and what not, to prevent them from vibrating more. More weight= less vibration. Yes, it will help with road noise slightly, but its not the best route to take if you wish to kill outside noises. Second Skin makes something thats called Luxury Liner, which is a layer of foam almost that you roll out in the car. I would recommend apply that to your floors and whatnot if you want to really "deaden" the car.
02Zetechse covered that.

When my windows are up, you can barely hear my system on the outside. Which is good because it decreases the chances of my system getting jacked.

Covering deadener with Ensolite(closed cell foam)helps a lot also is a good(cheaper)option as well. MLV(Mineral or, Mass Loaded Vinyl)is a great option as well. But getting it to stick on things that are not the floorpan can be tricky.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #47
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
its a simple choice. either you can cheap out and do what people say works or do it right and do what is proven to work.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #48
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
its a simple choice. either you can cheap out and do what people say works or do it right and do what is proven to work.
This right here , is the truth .... halfass product equals half ass results
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #49
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Zetechse View Post
This right here , is the truth .... halfass product equals half ass results
Is the ass half full or half empty?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #50
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
neither, it not half full or half empty. it is full, just not correctly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks