2004 SVT 2.3 Power Loss - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
GaryT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109275
What I Drive: 2004 Sage Green SVT

FF Reputation: 1 GaryT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2004 SVT 2.3 Power Loss

I purchased my Focus brand new and just turned over 147,000 trouble free miles. I've performed oil changes at 3,000 mile intervals, auto-transmission fluid changes at 50K, 100K and just had it done again along with fresh engine coolant, new fuel filter and its very first brake job. The car has always had what I consider to be very impressive acceleration with passing power to spare. It's been one of those cars that you get attached to because the performance has consistantly been there for 9 years until about 2 weeks ago. I've noticed from an average standing start that it has a very obvious flat spot where the engine is not responding to accelerator pedal travel. As it begins to respond and pick up speed it is sluggish and lethargic. The engine has basically lost no less than 30% of its power and actually feels closer to 40%. putting my foot in it at 60 MPH, the tranny kicks down and the RPM's go up but the usual passing acceleration is non existant and it's straining to gain speed. In a nut shell it doesn't even feel like the same car. I never got the first CEL however when I took the car back up to my mechanic, he hooked up a code reader and it had stored a code that although he didn't provide, indicated that maybe one of the intake butterfly valve or "tumblers" as I have also heard them called had stuck open or closed (possibly a code P2004?). I dropped the car back off yesterday for him to make the repairs and picked it up today. He was gone but the owners wife told me that he had found a cracked and broken vacuum hose underneath the throttle body and to drive the car and see how it performed and if there was any improvement. From what I can tell he replaced the two hoses that connect to the two sensors located at the top front of the intake manifold but regardless, there is no change at this point. Tests indicate that the Catalytic converters are O.K. so shouldn't be a problem there. The air filter still seems to be O.K. although it probably won't be long before I'll need to convert to a K&N. I'm concerned that it's going to be tough to diagnose unless it is one of those butterfly valves. The car has always had a little stumble in it in the morning when I first take it up to about 45 or 50 but it seems to stumble more now even after it's warmed up. Anyone have a similar experience with their 2.3?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.