12 Focus Depreciation That Bad? Really? <DATA ANALYSIS INCLUDED> - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Jdog913

Fan#: 84424
What I Drive: .

FF Reputation: 3 Jdog913 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The information is presented nicely. However, from an engineering stand point it doesn't prove anything to me. There needs to be further analysis of the data. Further analysis includes checking for the skewness of data. Any Questions, send me a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog913 View Post
The information is presented nicely. However, from an engineering stand point it doesn't prove anything to me. There needs to be further analysis of the data. Further analysis includes checking for the skewness of data. Any Questions, send me a PM.
Consider the data while developing your own thoughts on the subject or ignore it, those are your only two choices. I have no intention on spending any more time on it.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog913 View Post
This data is statistically valid and doesn't need deeper analysis. It's pretty obvious the conclusions you can draw.

Don't see what engineering has to do with this either.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
I don't particularly care about depreciation, because I drive 30,000 miles a year and am very OCD with preventive maintenance. I plan on going 200,000+ miles on any vehicle I purchase so that I can get the most value out of it.

People that buy a 2012 compact and trade it in on a 2013 will never be happy...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Awesome post, thank you for doing all that work. A good friend purchased a brand new BMW 330XI, hardly drove it, stored for the winter. The next year during the summer, we looked at what people were selling them for, it had dropped by $15,000. His jaw dropped when he saw the exact same car listed on Auto Trader. But due to the price he paid and the depreciation, it all works out to be the same as most cars.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
This data is statistically valid and doesn't need deeper analysis. It's pretty obvious the conclusions you can draw.

Don't see what engineering has to do with this either.
I'd be curious what else he'd want to do to it. The bias in the data is already stated - he used 5 cities. Given that and the fact that there was a decent amount of variation in between the cities, its pretty obvious that this is a sample of what is out there.

With that said, THANK YOU, OP, this is g great! Really nicely done. If I could give you a +1, i would. Why doesn't the mainstream car media do this kind of analysis? Oh, because they don't give a shit.

I'm only bummed because evidently I didn't get *that* good a price on mine. I think I was 10-12% off MSRP.

:\
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Awesome post, thank you for doing all that work. A good friend purchased a brand new BMW 330XI, hardly drove it, stored for the winter. The next year during the summer, we looked at what people were selling them for, it had dropped by $15,000. His jaw dropped when he saw the exact same car listed on Auto Trader. But due to the price he paid and the depreciation, it all works out to be the same as most cars.
I really don't think I'd ever buy a new BMW or Mercedes. I'd have looked for a used focus if there were any when I got mine.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
There is a reason the cruze sales are high in the Cleveland area, there are built in lordstown Ohio about an hour away.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Who's doing that? Nothing wrong with trying to minimize expenses, and resale value certainly affects your transportation expense.
It does indeed, but resale value is affected by so many variables that doing any planning on it seems fairly futile.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
I plan on going 200,000+ miles on any vehicle I purchase so that I can get the most value out of it.
Yeah, that was my plan, too.

But the last 7,000 miles have taken such a toll on my sanity there is not a snowball's chance in hell I'll keep this annoying heap of crap (thanks Hines Park Ford!) for any longer than I have to.

Bookmarks & Social Networks