Writer ordered to pay $174,000 dollars for a test drive - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Writer ordered to pay $174,000 dollars for a test drive

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...210104855.html

Basically the writer asked a owner of a porches worth $2 million to do a test drive. They agreed. The writer hired a racer to race the car and shit happened and the engine blew.

Owner sues the writer and wins $174,000

Here's my take on it, to own this car you must be very wealthy, you loaned your car out for personal satisfaction and it was destroyed by accident you pay the bill.

Also I'm going to assume the owner isn't a moron (he's rich) so why didn't he pull out insurance on the car? Maybe he is self insured (you can do this if your rich).

If I'd be the owner of a old race car that was worth millions and I was going loan the car I'd make sure to make the people who want to borrow my car pay an insurance. That way if anything goes wrong insurance pays.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Doesn't work that way. When you rest a car is the rental company responsible?
"British journalist Mark Hales arranged with retired racer and collector David Piper"
The writer arranged with the owner, he was also the one that drove it for the photo shoot for exclusive shots. In other words he was also doing it for monetary gain. The writer should have known enough to take out a policy for it just like any other job he does.
I've been on the losing end of the stick from a friend "borrowing" a car then dissapearing. Only for me to find out from the police it had been totalled, along with 2 other cars. Yeah great, I'd still had insurance on it altho he was supposed to have gotten some. but you know what, it cost me alot altho I had absolutely no involvement... a car, impound fees, insurance going to high risk, as well as various tickets for parking and such, time off work to try and straighten the mess out, etc.
Will I ever let a friend borrow a car again? not without insurance on it first to make sure my butts covered and my car is covered. especially if it were to be used for something such as this. I'm not paying for someone elses fun and profit and neither should this owner.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, the guy driving should have clarified the 'contract' to drive the car before he jumped in.
Either he accepted the responsibility for NOT blowing up the engine. Or didn't.
Seems to me from the article the driver DID accept responsibility to not over rev the engine. And then he did over rev it. blowing it up.
That makes the driver responsible.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sad story. I think both parties are at fault for not signing a real contract.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We don't know how the engine was blown either. It could've been a shift screw-up- totally the driver's fault. I bet nobody else will drive it after that, or who knows, maybe the owner will appreciate driving it more.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks