spi redline? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,515, Level 94
Points: 23,515, Level: 94 Points: 23,515, Level: 94 Points: 23,515, Level: 94
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I DO NOT want to see every thread on the SPI turn into a debate. Since it seems to be the same couple of guys every time, consider this your warning.

Also what's the use trying to shift at or near redline? it's outside the powerband... you're just wasting fuel at that point.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 33,862, Level 100
Points: 33,862, Level: 100 Points: 33,862, Level: 100 Points: 33,862, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Good for you and good for him, so what. Proves nothing in my case. Of course I do not know everything, but I can pretty much tear down and rebuild every unknown to me engine and put it back together to run forever. Same with ATX and no formal training in it. I have rebuilt many, they all lasted for years. Those people in Detroit know no more than us and the knowledge is out there. An SPI or zetec is a tinker toy to me. You should try like a six cylinder motorcycle like I have. Far more parts.

Clearly your mech did not want to do extra stuff to do the swap, all mechanics are in it for the money. That means you do the easy work and avoid the troublesome stuff if you're smart. You should try it for awhile, lose enough money and you'll come around to why he was the way he was. Of course they have to lie to back it up. At our garage, we wouldn't lie, just say why we won't do it and then offer the swap but at high enough cost to generally drive them away anyway. Everybody has big ideas until the money figure shows up. One is not in business to give money away to others. Problem is, the public now expects you to or you are not giving them FULL service, the major reason I left the parts business.

I do 100% of my own work, have never paid a cent to have work done except maybe machine work. I could do that if had the equipment.
For the record I'm not calling you out, please re-read my post again. I know the mechanic and this isn't the first time he has gotten in my face about issues. Sadly he the only one in town I would trust, he's one of people that thinks they know eveything but they don't. Second I always do my own work, I only would pay to have do something as major as a engine swap due to the fact I live in a apt complex. It's against the rules to work on a car, or have a non-running car. After talking to the mechanic and hearing what he had to say, I'm done with him. Luckily I was able to get a co-worker to let me use his garage so I could do the work myself.

Mike, everything was fine in the spi threads until amc wanted to call us out for praising the spi.

Sent from my LGL55C using FF Mobile
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
SergFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88326
What I Drive: 2001 black focus se

FF Reputation: 1 SergFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lol I was just wondering on the redline. Everyonce in a while I like to put my foot in it and hit the gas and who does do that everyonce in a while. And before I posted this I had my motor rebuilt and I got a newer tranny with a new clutch kit. I dont redline my car everyday only when I have too. I love my spi after all my work I put in it. Its something I can say Im proud of. I got it for free as a shell from my grand parents and after all my work time and money and parts and aftermarket parts its worth it.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #24
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,862, Level 100
Points: 33,862, Level: 100 Points: 33,862, Level: 100 Points: 33,862, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
There is a way to access a digital tach on your info screen on the regular cluster. It displays a few things. gotta find a link for that.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
SergFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Oh its cool I learn how to use it. Pretty neat thing to use. :) and max I shift with my spi is like 5500rpms.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
SergFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks to those who help me out. High five to you all!! Lol
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,862, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Oh I just found a video. lol

Well for those that don't know.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,181, Level 34
Points: 3,181, Level: 34 Points: 3,181, Level: 34 Points: 3,181, Level: 34
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 42%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
This time there may be three........

'For the record I'm not calling you out.........'

'until amc wanted to call us out for praising the spi.'

Gotta wonder what planet generates that type of diametrically opposed thinking in the same post and then tries to act like he had nothing to do with the controversy. I see that in three year olds.

For the record, I called no one out. Never meant to either. I certainly don't enjoy being insulted by morons who cannot touch what I've contributed to society though, and after a simple statement of fact that should have been clear to anybody that can think. Let them have their little enjoyment of life, warped though it may be. That does not repair the mental damage there.

If you can't take reality then stay in your little thought polluted world and by all means keep praising the junk engine, guess what, the SPIs will still keep blowing up, you can't change that because the coping mechanism used doesn't work. Expecting people to take apart running cars is nothing short of retarded, what if he lives in an apartment complex? (insert 50 other reasons here)

I'm done in this section and will not be here again, your little heads cannot accept any thoughts not your own. Glad I'm not condemned to that, and glad you are. Your own nature guarantees it.

Sorry Mikey, couldn't do it quietly, my apologies to you..........getting very close to dumping the whole internet car thing anyway, simply no rewards and way too many people trying to change reality that I can prove to myself time and time again. People can wallow in the morass of replace this and that for no reason at all, I replace (or simply fix) usually one part only and back to perfect running, sorry many of the rest of you haven't a prayer at doing that.........of course I can lurk and laugh and simply not contribute anymore, won't be my loss there.

Keep repeating: SPI good--SPI good--SPI good--SPI good--SPI good......and don't look at the dropped valve poll, it doesn't look good for SPI reliability, regardless of what you may think. Reality bites, does it not?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #29
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

Points 4,699, Level 43
Points: 4,699, Level: 43 Points: 4,699, Level: 43 Points: 4,699, Level: 43
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Just an FYI for the thread - If your SPI came with an ATX then you're limited to ~5k rpm.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #30
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 33,862, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
I curious now. How many rpms on a zetec w/atx?

Sent from my LGL55C using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.