How is the ST on the highway? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013 Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Everlastingboost
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52136
What I Drive: Outback - looking for a ST

FF Reputation: 1 Everlastingboost Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How is the ST on the highway?

Looking for real world experience on our crappy north american roads. I'm in colorado and some of the roads have gigantic potholes and lots of cross winds are a daily occorence. Is the new focus quite on the highway? Is the suspension bumpy on uneven surfaces? I know its a sport tuned suspension but I'm looking for something that has the best of both worlds. From the reviews the ST does get fairly close to that. So lets hear what the real user experience has to say?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
erogers10287
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101431
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 2 erogers10287 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I live in upstate NY and we too have crappy roads. I think road noise is fairly quiet for a sports car. It's about the same or better as a titanium. I had mine under coated too so that helps a lot. The ride isn't that harsh but you can def tell its been sport tuned but I like it. It soaks up bumps fairly well but it does like to skip across those wonderful frost heaves on the highway.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Everlastingboost
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52136
What I Drive: Outback - looking for a ST

FF Reputation: 1 Everlastingboost Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erogers10287 View Post
I live in upstate NY and we too have crappy roads. I think road noise is fairly quiet for a sports car. It's about the same or better as a titanium. I had mine under coated too so that helps a lot. The ride isn't that harsh but you can def tell its been sport tuned but I like it. It soaks up bumps fairly well but it does like to skip across those wonderful frost heaves on the highway.
Great to hear! Anyone else?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlastingboost View Post
Looking for real world experience on our crappy north american roads. I'm in colorado and some of the roads have gigantic potholes and lots of cross winds are a daily occorence. Is the new focus quite on the highway? Is the suspension bumpy on uneven surfaces? I know its a sport tuned suspension but I'm looking for something that has the best of both worlds. From the reviews the ST does get fairly close to that. So lets hear what the real user experience has to say?

Thanks!
Go to your dealer and ask them for an extended test drive. I did that down here in Austin, TX where the roads aren't great either. Wind noise in an ST is about as quiet as a Titanium. However, tire and road noise is a little more pronounced in the ST. Also, the ST is more bouncy or bumpy on the road, due to its stiffer sports tuned suspension. You can definitely feel the difference over rough roads but it's not bad.

I use the GTI, Mazdaspeed3 and ST when I compare highway noise and cabin NVH in performance hatches. The GTI is the most comfortable on rough roads and quietest at highway speeds. The Mazdapspeed3 is the bumpiest and loudest at highway speeds. The ST is somewhere between those two. Each have their own charming qualities but overall, I prefer the balance of the ST.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Macky21
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75644
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST

FF Reputation: 3 Macky21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have no complaints about road noise or bumps when it comes to the ST. I came from a lowered SVT and a very low BMW so comparing those to the ST makes it seem like I'm on a cloud, ha ha.
Hatch Nation #116
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
The biggest difference I found when driving an ST on the highway was the faster steering ratio. Just a tug on the wheel will change your direction pretty violently on the highway if you're not paying attention.

Also, all Ford vehicles with the EAPS (Electric assist power steering) are designed to compensate for crosswinds.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

Join the cause! 3 Door Fords for America! facebook.com/3DRS4US

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Lots of bad roads around where I live, and the ST seems to handle them well. Tracks straight despite bumps and doesn't get bounced around. As has been said, it's a taut suspension, so you can feel the road, but it does handle potholes fairly well. (Thank God that one was one a test drive and not my car... *cough*)

It does seem quiet to me when cruising as well. Mostly tire noise, no wind noise, and the engine is very quiet when the Sound Symposer (TM) isn't open (3000+ RPM). The ST is quite well mannered when you're not throwing it around, which is one of the things I like about it. (Others that want a more raw car-handling experience occasionally dislike it, in fact.)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
Shempi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94961
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Shempi Good Standing Member
The weekend my dad picked up his ST3 we woke up early that Saturday to take a cruise. We went to the back country roads to play around and let me tell you the handling is phenomenal. When it was my turn I took it out to the highway and did some lane hopping through cars, it was really fun and we were turning heads! All in all the ST3 suspension is perfect IMO. Not to low that you're bumping all around, but just low enough to get that amazing handling like the SVT's show us.
2002 Sonic Blue SVTF #661
2013 Tangerine Scream ST3
Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
I have a 12 Focus SEL and a 13 ST. The ST is quieter going down the road than the SEL. When we got the SEL I though the quietness of it was amazing for a compact car.

There is a 5 mile section of road that I travel every day going to work, it has to be in the too 10 worest roads in Mass. Anyway, the PT Cruiser the ST replaces would jar your eyes it was do bad on this road. The ST and SEL just float over the pot holes and broken pavement with no jarring or bottoming.

The suspension is stiffer on the ST than the SEL but not by much and much much less than I expected.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105907
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue ST3

FF Reputation: 1 aernan Good Standing Member
The ST is very quiet. They had to add the sound sympozer so you could hear the engine noise. The steering is very firm and great for mountain roads but still usable on the freeway. I haven't noticed the wind pushing me around. The amount the wind effects the car is a function of it's side profile. That's all corrected with wind tunnel testing these days.

On my drive home there is one spot where I bottom out in my Range Rover if I'm hauling in the ST I hear the sound of the gas strut compressing but no bottom out. I have also managed to jump the car a couple of times and the landing is smooth without bottom out. So I don't think your going to be jarred by potholes unless your going very slow.

Bookmarks & Social Networks