Chances of Auto ST w/in next few model years - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Fan#: 68979
Location: The Hills of, WV
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

Posts: 303
FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Chances of Auto ST w/in next few model years

What do you think the chances are Ford comes out with an auto transmission option for the ST...select shift with paddles?

I'm cool with the manual, but I would need an automatic option if I were to purchase since my wife has no experience with a manual transmission.


Shorty Long is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
erogers10287
Focus Enthusiast
 
erogers10287's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101431
Location: East Greenbush, NY
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

Posts: 50
FF Reputation: 2 erogers10287 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would say it would depend on the demand. I know the Mazdaspeed 3 doesn't come in auto and it's been out for a while now...
erogers10287 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,489
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Teach your wife or get her her own car... I don't see it happening, not when the aforementioned MS3 is without and the STi is without, the only car it'd really be directly competing against then is the GTI, maybe the EVO MR.

And if you look at Ford History... Paints an even better picture for "not happening"
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!
 
LouBomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Fan#: 32545
Location: Chicago, IL
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Posts: 8,039
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Teach her how to drive stick... Funny enough my wife drove my mothers minivan today to move some shit.. And this is what she texted me...


My fiesta st is going to be manual lol non of this automatic sshit..


It brought a tear to my eye.. She drives a Svt btw




Sent from my JailBroken iPhone.
__________________
2000 Turbo Zx3
2003 Pitch Black SVT
2000 SPI 220k miles all original THE UNICORN
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
LouBomb is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Deftmetal
Moderator
 
Deftmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105884
Location: Pennant sk, Canada
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Posts: 7,330
FF Reputation: 8 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBomb View Post
Teach her how to drive stick... Funny enough my wife drove my mothers minivan today to move some shit.. And this is what she texted me...


My fiesta st is going to be manual lol non of this automatic sshit..


It brought a tear to my eye.. She drives a Svt btw




Sent from my JailBroken iPhone.
Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
What do you think the chances are Ford comes out with an auto transmission option for the ST...select shift with paddles?

I'm cool with the manual, but I would need an automatic option if I were to purchase since my wife has no experience with a manual transmission.
Not so much
__________________
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Deftmetal is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict
 
AZfocus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 92484
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

Posts: 658
FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
What do you think the chances are Ford comes out with an auto transmission option for the ST...select shift with paddles?

I'm cool with the manual, but I would need an automatic option if I were to purchase since my wife has no experience with a manual transmission.
It will probably happen by or in the 2014 model year. I have tried to find the article I read where someone was interviewing someone from R&D at Ford. They said they were working on it. The DCT was going to need to be beefed up and they were going to get it right before they introduced it, unlike the DCT in the 2012 Focus. In most any given high performance model car that comes with a DCT/DSG and a manual option. The DCT/DSG outsells the manual by like 60/40 or more. So Ford knows they are missing a lot of sales without the DCT/DSG option. This car thing is a money thing for Ford and I am sure they want to capture all those missing sales. I would likely buy one myself when it comes with the DCT.
AZfocus2012 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Fan#: 68979
Location: The Hills of, WV
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

Posts: 303
FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
that's good to hear if true...although i shudder to think about a DCT-equipped ST given the problems they've had with it on the regular Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
It will probably happen by or in the 2014 model year. I have tried to find the article I read where someone was interviewing someone from R&D at Ford. They said they were working on it. The DCT was going to need to be beefed up and they were going to get it right before they introduced it, unlike the DCT in the 2012 Focus. In most any given high performance model car that comes with a DCT/DSG and a manual option. The DCT/DSG outsells the manual by like 60/40 or more. So Ford knows they are missing a lot of sales without the DCT/DSG option. This car thing is a money thing for Ford and I am sure they want to capture all those missing sales. I would likely buy one myself when it comes with the DCT.
Shorty Long is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
CharlieRose
Focus Enthusiast
 
CharlieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86472
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

Posts: 138
FF Reputation: 1 CharlieRose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Boy, I hope Ford doesn't douche-up the car by putting an auto transmission in it.
CharlieRose is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
AJK31
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83106
Location: Omaha, NE
What I Drive: 2011 Red Focus SE

Posts: 33
FF Reputation: 1 AJK31 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRose View Post
Boy, I hope Ford doesn't douche-up the car by putting an auto transmission in it.
Agreed! It is a waste to make a performance car such as the ST and put an automatic in it. However, I would like to see a flappy-paddle gearbox at some point. Give it quicker shifts and really optimize the 252 hp under the hood.
__________________
At 108 MPH i can still get 27 MPG.
AJK31 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Budderybunz
Focus Enthusiast
 
Budderybunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107821
Location: Minneapolis, MN
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Turbo

Posts: 265
FF Reputation: 1 Budderybunz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Slim to none
__________________
2004 Screaming Yellow SVT Turbo
Budderybunz is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.