Adding fog lamps? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #51
johnhuebbe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109072
What I Drive: 2013 White Focus SE 5-dr HB

FF Reputation: 1 johnhuebbe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looks good. Thanks for the photos. I'm going to do the same thing to my Focus. I'm debating if I should get the trim rings from the US or from China. Don't know if I want to wait 3-4 weeks (although your earlier post said 2 weeks).

Also, was the trim around the e-brake easy to remove to install the switch? And, can you take a photo of where you tapped in for power or post a link to a forum page showing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #52
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47691
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Monkeygrits Good Standing Member
Actually I think It may have only taken 2 weeks to receive the bezels. Ill edit that post.
Heres a pic for reference. Not mine. This add a fuse is in the 7.5 Amp slot. I used the 10AMP fuse slot directly below it. Its hidden by the fuses sticking out the add a fuse in the pic. Gives you an idea how it looks. You have to pull off the trim around the shift boot off before the ebrake trim piece. There is a bolt under the shift boot trim piece that needs removed plus the shift boot trim snaps into the ebrake trim piece. Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight or a cheap parts store and buy a set of trim tools so you dont gouge all your trim. (Click the link below) Dont use flat screwdrivers!
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html
Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #53
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
why not just vampire tap the headlight power for the fogs so that the fogs turn on w/ the headlights (like an auto-switch) instead of a manual switch?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Because the headlights are controlled by the BCM. You can try that on your car if you like but Im not trying to screw anything up. The switch power wire is only using a couple amps from the add a fuse. The power for the fogs comes directly from the battery and is controlled by the relay. If you wire them with no switch/relay your asking for trouble IMO. You could run the switch power wire to the headlight power I guess and leave the switch on achieving what you want. Mine just comes on with the ignition. I would also have to run the wire back out through the firewall to the headlight which would be another PITA. You might be able to tap the switch wire from the relay directly into the headlight power. Not sure though. I like having a switch.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #55
thejordan
Focus Addict

I see, I wonder how sensitive the BCM is, if it will notice the tap or not. i just don't want to have to run a switch to the inside, i'd rather it all just turn on when lights are on.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #56
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeygrits View Post
You could run the switch power wire to the headlight power I guess and leave the switch on achieving what you want.
If he is going to do that and leave the switch on and that would work, he wouldn't need the switch and he could do all the wiring under the hood.

OTOH, I KNOW the guys replacing the headlights with HID's had to be careful and add some resistors so the car didn't think a bulb was out. Not sure if a vampire tap to activate a relay would cause any issues, but I think it's conceivable.

In some ways the car is actually MORE sophisticated than you would prefer.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #57
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Youll have to play Guinea pig with this one but if I were you I would find a way to run a relay so your main power will be from the battery.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #58
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...2&postcount=19

Chaddz3 already did this on an S model and mentions a lot of the reasons for not using a vampire tap off the parking lights (I don't think it's a good idea off the headlights).

No reason that circuit couldn't be built without the switch if you NEVER wanted to use the headlights without the fogs, and I'm not sure why it couldn't be done under the hood if you preferred to, but you would have to find new ignition and parking lights trigger wires.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #59
thejordan
Focus Addict

When I get some free time, I'll look into it.

Thanks all for the helpful info.

Last edited by thejordan; 01-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #60
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...2&postcount=19

Chaddz3 already did this on an S model and mentions a lot of the reasons for not using a vampire tap off the parking lights (I don't think it's a good idea off the headlights).

No reason that circuit couldn't be built without the switch if you NEVER wanted to use the headlights without the fogs, and I'm not sure why it couldn't be done under the hood if you preferred to, but you would have to find new ignition and parking lights trigger wires.
So really all you would need to do instead of running the trigger wire from the relay to the switch would be to run the trigger wire directly to the parking light with a fuse of course to achieve what hes asking? Which would negate the switch and turn your fogs on when the parking lights were on but not draw but an amp or so from the parking lights?

Bookmarks & Social Networks