Block Heater Question - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #31
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
I was working on a house and one of the neighbours couldn't get his new f150 to start so be called the dealer and they sent out two mechanics to get it started and take it to get repaired if needed. Demand they send someone to help get it started if you want or ask for a loaner until its fixed. Besides that I don't know if you can do anything
I didn't think of a loaner, it would be nice to not have to put my car through those brutal cold starts. My main worry is that I tried starting my car in this terrible weather 20-30 times, I guess I just figured the block heater would or was working. I don't want to have damaged my car.

To be fair the dealership was extremely nice, and kept the car indoors for me the whole day, and made sure it was warm when I left. But once I get it home tonight it's back to the same ball game.

I am a bit peeved about the hours I've missed at work though and bumming rides, it's money out of my pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #32
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
I feel your pain. I've gone through replacing the block heater not once, but twice already :S

And yes, first time the dealership didn't have it so I had to drive it across town the next day to drop it off. Second time, different dealership, I talked to the parts department in the morning to confirm they might have one and nope. Had to leave it over night for the next 3, yes 3 days for them to complete it.

Otherwise car is running great :P
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadworthy View Post
I feel your pain. I've gone through replacing the block heater not once, but twice already :S

And yes, first time the dealership didn't have it so I had to drive it across town the next day to drop it off. Second time, different dealership, I talked to the parts department in the morning to confirm they might have one and nope. Had to leave it over night for the next 3, yes 3 days for them to complete it.

Otherwise car is running great :P
Wow twice eh? That's a pain for sure! I'm hoping it's a one time thing.

I can't drive to a different dealership, (the closest other one is 2 hours away) so I'm still just waiting. Luckily the temperature is supposed to increase over the weekend. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer if they've even received it.

3 days to replace a block heater!? Is it a really difficult install on this car? I would definitely need a loaner if it took that long. I've been getting by bumming rides and using my company truck for the past few days with it not starting in -40. I can't keep that up for another week though.

Otherwise I have few complaints with my car, just odd squeaks and rattles that I will get fixed when it's not so cold, and my paint chipping from the tail light, again waiting till it's not -40 and covered in ice. I'm happy with my car just upset that this happened.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Yeah. The job only takes about an hour. If the dealership had it in stock (no one apparently does) they would have been able to complete it that day. The dealership that took three days had to order the part, got it late on the second day and then didn't have time :S He mentioned that the new vehical, PDI guy was the one that installed all of the block heaters (surprised a regular tech didn't do it....).

I haven't really tested mine again but maybe I'll doublecheck. I know when mine was working and it was only about -12 to -15, 8 hours being plugged in virtually had the coolant at temp on startup! lol
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
During my last oil change, the young technician who, being in Florida, had never seen a block heater gave mine quite a look. He really wasn't sure what a wire that looks a lot like a house AC wire was doing in a car. I pointed to my Minnesota license plate, which caused a light to go off in his head. "Oh," he said
"that's the block heater, ain't it?"
Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #36
JMD787
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91481
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 JMD787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I think the block heaters on this car don't have the best reliability. I had my original one replaced at 4 months and the second one is getting worse and worse at heating up the car. Will make sure to have it replaced again before my warranty expires.

I planned on keeping this car 7-8 years but with all the problems I've had, I can't wait to get rid of it. Block heater, transmission, MFT, squeaks & rattles, paint chips from mis-aligned body panels. I've never had a new car that required this much attention.

As for the oil, there isn't too much of a difference between 0W-20 and 5W-20 so if the dealer is being a prick about it I wouldn't let it bother you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks