adding power... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65298
What I Drive: 00 ZX3 Kona, 00 ZX3, 04 SVTF

Points 4,386, Level 42
Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 xy0s08 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
adding power...

does anyone know if a 2000 focus that doesn't have power windows, locks or mirrors if the car is per-wired for those to be added? either in the locations where it needs to be or at least to the molex plug in the kick panels?

MARCH ROTM 2010 Midwest crew #58
9/11 was an inside job! fluoride is poisoning all of you! The Federal Reserve is a private bank that is making fake money and bankrupting America! Open your eyes to what is going on in the US! Infowars.com
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,838, Level 71
Points: 11,838, Level: 71 Points: 11,838, Level: 71 Points: 11,838, Level: 71
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
AFAIK, wiring is identical UNTIL it gets to the doors, so internal door wiring is needed...

Moving this to Mk 1 interior for additional help....

Last edited by sailor; 01-25-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Add
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

Points 468, Level 9
Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
Actually wiring is NOT identical. Cars that weren't wired from factory are going to need a wiring harness transplanted from a car that was wired for it, or a brand new wiring harness. Pick through the junkyards, you're more than likely to be able to find a car to pull from. I started the whole process, pulling the power window wiring, motors & switches and the power lock mechanism and switches and all the interior door wiring. Once I got all that I realized that I'd need the new harness, which is the next part of my quest. The car I pulled all the parts from was scrapped when I went back to get the harness. Also be sure to grab the GEM module if you want to add a wireless keyfob in the future. If you're going so far as to pull the wiring harness, it's not that much extra work. Wiring harness sucks to pull in these cars btw. It will take you a little while. The donor car is good practice because you won't have to worry so much about ripping it up or damaging it. I just took a razor blade to the carpet when I needed things.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Points 4,386, Level 42
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewts86 View Post
Actually wiring is NOT identical. Cars that weren't wired from factory are going to need a wiring harness transplanted from a car that was wired for it, or a brand new wiring harness. Pick through the junkyards, you're more than likely to be able to find a car to pull from. I started the whole process, pulling the power window wiring, motors & switches and the power lock mechanism and switches and all the interior door wiring. Once I got all that I realized that I'd need the new harness, which is the next part of my quest. The car I pulled all the parts from was scrapped when I went back to get the harness. Also be sure to grab the GEM module if you want to add a wireless keyfob in the future. If you're going so far as to pull the wiring harness, it's not that much extra work. Wiring harness sucks to pull in these cars btw. It will take you a little while. The donor car is good practice because you won't have to worry so much about ripping it up or damaging it. I just took a razor blade to the carpet when I needed things.
So when you did this where was the GEM module at and what else is attached the the harness? That I need to be aware of? And I am guessing that the car without all the power had all the bolt holes and everything there to be added just not the actually parts.
9/11 was an inside job! fluoride is poisoning all of you! The Federal Reserve is a private bank that is making fake money and bankrupting America! Open your eyes to what is going on in the US! Infowars.com
Old 01-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Points 468, Level 9
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I haven't finished pulling everything yet. Initially I pulled all the parts for the power mirrors, locks and windows out of the door. I actually haven't pulled the wiring harness yet. Initially I just clipped all the wires just on the inside of the door jam wire coupling, thinking I'd just be able to wire it all together from there. Wrong. Got to go back to pull the whole wiring harness. Problem is I essentially destroyed the wiring harness off the car I pulled from already. Anyhow the GEM module is located behind the glove box.

Apparently there are five versions of the central locking module:
1. Central locking
2. Central locking and remote control
3. Central locking, double locking and remote control
4. Central locking, double locking, remote control and alarm system
5. Central locking, double locking, remote control and alarm system with infrared interior scanning

I'm hoping to find the GEM associated with 1-3, 4 & 5 just seem like too much trouble.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Points 4,386, Level 42
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I started looking today at the module and the harness on the car side today and it looks like its going to be a lot of work its all tapped into the car harness and is all going to have to be cut out of the other harness.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Points 468, Level 9
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Cutting won't be necessary if you pull the ENTIRE interior wiring harness. That being said, you are going to have to remove the majority of the interior trim, pull carpets back, probably remove dash, etc etc. I've done this kind of job before and it just involves being extremely anal and thorough. Being a perfectionist doesn't hurt either (<-- all describes me). Spent a few years working in a body shop before I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do my entire life.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
xy0s08
Focus Addict

Points 4,386, Level 42
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewts86 View Post
Cutting won't be necessary if you pull the ENTIRE interior wiring harness. That being said, you are going to have to remove the majority of the interior trim, pull carpets back, probably remove dash, etc etc. I've done this kind of job before and it just involves being extremely anal and thorough. Being a perfectionist doesn't hurt either (<-- all describes me). Spent a few years working in a body shop before I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do my entire life.
well its a very good thing that i know how this car comes apart then isn't it.. i wonder how much a harness is going to cost from the junk yard.
was it pretty easy adding the window and lock motors?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Points 468, Level 9
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Windows and locks are fairly easy to install. I would recommend that if you are going to do the install of all the parts yourself, then you should go to a junkyard that will let YOU pull all the parts you need off yourself. That way you get a better understanding of how they will be going into YOUR car. Taking something apart is the best way to learn how to put it back together. If somebody else takes it apart for you, you might not be able to figure out how everything goes back together. Also, if this is a first time kind of thing for you, don't be afraid to pull out your phone and take lots of pictures. That will give you the ability to go back and see how things are supposed to look.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
thingsidont
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90749
What I Drive: 2001 sterling grey ZX3

Points 465, Level 9
Points: 465, Level: 9 Points: 465, Level: 9 Points: 465, Level: 9
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 thingsidont Good Standing Member
you could just find all the connections you need and run your own wires. I plan on getting the wire harness in the doors and all the hardware needed and just run wires where ever i need. so that way i can avoid redoing the entire harness.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.