what's needed to beat a 240sx - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #31
BrokenSVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 35058
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 BrokenSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05STfocus1 View Post
My first post. I have a stock 05 st. Wondering what to do to it to beat my bros 240. He has basic bolt ons.
A similarly-modified Nissan truck? *rimshot*
#1229 of 3985 Date of Birth April 21, 2003
Borla Cat-Back/SVTF tip, Steeda Short Throw,FRPP 9mm Plug Wires, Upgraded "Big 3", HIA Short Ram, Xcal2 tuned by FocusSport, SRF TB, EAP Wheels(thanks John), Audiophile sub(thanks John), Euro Grill(thanks Aaron)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
09vistabluecoupe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67900
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SE coupe

FF Reputation: 2 09vistabluecoupe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenSVT View Post
A similarly-modified Nissan truck? *rimshot*
Or a Stanza, those used the KA24DE too. They weigh within like 50lbs of each other too.

I share the sentiment of the few wondering why people think he'll have trouble beating a 20 year old compact with a truck engine. Especially since the 240s an automatic.

Midwest crew #52
Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98863
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 toilet2000 Good Standing Member
I bet you'll beat him anyway. 240sx with 2.4 has about the same power as a duratec 23. But you got manual (auto's are the worst thing in the world in a race, the only thing he gets is no chance to slip while launching), and ST's has a different final ratio which makes all gear shorter (that's why these are quick for what they seem). No bolt-ons and you should probably beat him
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #34
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

Points 4,217, Level 41
Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilet2000 View Post
I bet you'll beat him anyway. 240sx with 2.4 has about the same power as a duratec 23. But you got manual (auto's are the worst thing in the world in a race, the only thing he gets is no chance to slip while launching), and ST's has a different final ratio which makes all gear shorter (that's why these are quick for what they seem). No bolt-ons and you should probably beat him
you should do some research before saying an auto sucks for racing. look at the new gtr, auto tranny and its race track ready off the lot. ask trubo tom about his turbo'd ford focus with an auto.

about beating the 240sx, have fun catching up. if he already has parts into it and knows your trying to become faster then him there is a good chance he will just keep modding so that you will never be faster.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanzx5 View Post
you should do some research before saying an auto sucks for racing. look at the new gtr, auto tranny and its race track ready off the lot. ask trubo tom about his turbo'd ford focus with an auto.
lol... do some research... a Nissan GT-R has a double-clutch transmission, which correspond to a dual-gearbox automated manual with independent clutch.

Automatic trannies have a torque converter, which uses fluid viscosity to reproduce clutch slipping without electrical needs (there's a vortex of oil which transmits the power). this HAS a lost of energy and IS less efficient than any manual trannies.

Modern autos use a lock-up clutch on the torque converter to prevent loss from constant slippage (NOT IN THE 90'S), look for lexus LF-A or IS-F, these are the only "performance automatics" that I know of. Any other cars with performance "auto" trannies are simply automated manual (single or double clutch/gearbox)

That being said, auto do not prevent power, but it is less efficient than a manual. For 2 cars that has almost the same specs (ST and 240sx), manual is a BIG advantage
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #36
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

Points 4,217, Level 41
Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
have you even heard of toms auto focus? yes an auto has its disadvantages but it still has its up sides. you cant miss shift an auto you can a manual. an exp driver in an auto putting down similar specs as a 5speed and the driver miss shift one time it can end the race for him. even pro's miss shift.

you are rgiht about the tranny on the gtr. was a bod example now since i think of it though.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #37
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

Points 2,754, Level 32
Points: 2,754, Level: 32 Points: 2,754, Level: 32 Points: 2,754, Level: 32
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
It already wins in my book haha, pm me for any info/performance part sites if you want i honestly didnt read through all the posts.
Still here!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #38
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

honestly, you have to be bad to miss shift at a point where a '95 auto tranny beats you... Even on a 240sx. Tom's focus' turbo'd, power is power. But the only advantage I see in autos is no (or almost) wheel splipage on start... which is really the only thing that on a FWD without LSD could make you lose.

Trust me, i know a lot about how auto trannies are made, even more in the 90's...

PS: If you want to win, just don't drop the clutch at 6000rpm and WOT right after, between 3000-3500 rpm launch and a lil' bit of time not at WOT for the car to catch up and you should be good.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
*yawn*
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #40
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
*yawn*
Sorry... I think my engineer-self took up the lead...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.