2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 190 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #1891
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here's the sound of a bad Drop Link Bar/Rod. This is EXACTLY the sound I'm having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1r869BV3o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #1892
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
...This is EXACTLY the sound I'm having...
Dysan911,

Iím able to include this when I escalate the concern to your regional customer service manager. So I can do that, please PM me your phone number, full name, dealer details, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #1893
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Dysan911,

Iím able to include this when I escalate the concern to your regional customer service manager. So I can do that, please PM me your phone number, full name, dealer details, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Cory
Cory, Thanks but I'm not sure if you realize I've already taken my car into my local dealer's service dept and they've made an attempt to repair it already. When I told them it didn't fix the issue I got told basically that they want to see I'm completely satisfied and that I have plenty of warranty left, they will talk to the technician who worked on my car and get back to me. This was Wed. I guess it takes a while to talk to a technician. If sending you anything can do anything more for me than I've already done let me know.

Thx.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #1894
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Here's the sound of a bad Drop Link Bar/Rod. This is EXACTLY the sound I'm having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1r869BV3o
remove the sway bar and end links. don't just disconnect it, as it may be hitting things or vibrate more.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #1895
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
remove the sway bar and end links. don't just disconnect it, as it may be hitting things or vibrate more.
thats about a 3 hour job ,have to lower the subframe to get the bar out,just talked to my dealer about cost yesterday(for a steeda bar) since no dealer(4) will even look at my car(car leans right front and bad steering,clunk)
Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #1896
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Z,

When you said you dropped the sway bar or (End links). You were referring to the drop link right? Thats the same thing correct?

I removed the endlinks entirely and ziptied the sway bar tight with heavy duty wire ties, with tension in both directions (up and down). That thing wasn't moving anywhere.

Regardless of what I did, the noise didn't improve when I removed the endlinks or mass dampers.

The last thing I did prior to trading the car was reinstall the stock dampers, strut bearings, mounts, and associated hardware. The noise got worse after reinstalling the factory bits.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #1897
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I removed the endlinks entirely and ziptied the sway bar tight with heavy duty wire ties, with tension in both directions (up and down). That thing wasn't moving anywhere.

Regardless of what I did, the noise didn't improve when I removed the endlinks or mass dampers.

The last thing I did prior to trading the car was reinstall the stock dampers, strut bearings, mounts, and associated hardware. The noise got worse after reinstalling the factory bits.
Well then it's gotta be the LCA where it mounts to the frame. I mean wtf else can it be?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #1898
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
Well then it's gotta be the LCA where it mounts to the frame. I mean wtf else can it be?
aren't there 3 or 4 bushings on it?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #1899
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
aren't there 3 or 4 bushings on it?

yeah I think so and I'm leaning more towards the bushing where it attaches to the subframe. This could be another part that sensitive to extra weight in the car, braking and turning (Extra stress on the bushing during these conditions)
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #1900
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
yeah I think so and I'm leaning more towards the bushing where it attaches to the subframe. This could be another part that sensitive to extra weight in the car, braking and turning (Extra stress on the bushing during these conditions)
if the bushing is too thin or the bolt hole too wide, i could see it being a suspect. you'd have to measure the bushing dimensions and call around to find an aftermarket one to fit in (or cut one to size).

if you jack up the car on one side and try to shake the wheel, it should be reproducible. it's the same trick when checking the wheel bearings.

Bookmarks & Social Networks