2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 189 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #1881
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
The mass damper has no effect on the noise. People with and without them have reported the noise, and I also tried removing them myself to test that theory.

I noted no improvement.
Z,

When you said you dropped the sway bar or (End links). You were referring to the drop link right? Thats the same thing correct?

I am so convinced that it's the Drop link bar. Its the only thing thats attached to a portion of the suspension that is effected by turning (which is one of the triggers for this noise) and braking. I also for the heck of it went on youtube and typed in Drop Link Noise and there was a video of a car (not focus) that had that same damn noise as ours.
It just seems like when you brake or turn that your loading up that bar and if it's binding or not attached in a proper way (design flaw). I dunno, Maybe another theory on why after we have our cars "repaired" that they have to remove and replace that bar during the fix and its just a matter of time before it loosens enough to cause some binding and rattle.

I mean what in the world else can it be. I don't think it's an issue with the Strut itself. As many as has been replaced, something would be a little odd if that many batches of struts were defective. Springs really don't go bad.

I think I"ll get the car up on jack stands this weekend and see if I can look around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1882
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
...If there is a real solution coming, will I need to have registered a complaint in order for me to be able to be eligible for the fix?
teamDFL,

I recommend sending me a PM with your contact information. This way, I can forward it up the line and arrange for a call from your regionís customer service manager. Please include your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
...Just add another 150+ person next to me and I can reproduce the sound by hitting the right bumps and the harder I nose dive the car...
I want to offer you my help, but Iím unable to escalate the concern without your contact information, Dysan911. Please PM me with the details I mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
...We decided to have me come back as soon as it gets colder out. That was fine with me. I want it to be really obvious...
Lipshurt,

Donít hesitate to shoot me a PM with any details you want forwarded before your next follow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
...My guess is we'll never know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
In all fairness, a service appointment still makes sense...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
...The CSR's assigned to this site should be empowered to do more than just re-direct and coordinate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowah View Post
...Cory, could you forward this to the engineers? It captures exactly the noise I'm getting from my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
...what a joke!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
...Things take time. Two weeks to you is like a fiscal quarter to a company.
Iím passing along what Iíve been assured, guys. I also relay important info up the line from the forums Iím on. In the long run, having a Ford certified technician inspect the vehicle is the best way to go.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #1883
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
teamDFL,

I recommend sending me a PM with your contact information. This way, I can forward it up the line and arrange for a call from your regionís customer service manager. Please include your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.
While I appreciate the offer, what is the point? I haven't taken it to the dealer since there is no real fix available. What's the point? Waste of my time and theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
In the long run, having a Ford certified technician inspect the vehicle is the best way to go.
If he cannot fix the root problem, I do not agree. Yes, there is a small chance that something else is wrong that he could fix, but otherwise they are just going to waste my time.

Understand, I am not upset by this, but if I start wasting my time when there is no actual long term solution, I very quickly will be.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #1884
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
I find this photo interesting.

Its the one part that appears directly attached to the strut tower. (Yellow) Also another observation is in every video I've found on Youtube. The sound when heard from directly next to the strut (outside). It sounds like crunching plastic.. How stiff a material is that dust boot.

Not a Focus but doesn't that sound familiar? We have a similar control arm setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhb6UrWomc
Quote:
Rev,

I found a couple good videos too on Youtube. When this driver rolls back and forth over his driveway curb you can't miss it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w19NZS3i-GE

and this one is interesting too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se7pC9_LY3g

What I can't figure out is, why does the noise for a lot of people only occur with passengers in the car. Just add another 150+ person next to me and I can reproduce the sound by hitting the right bumps and the harder I nose dive the car (suspension compressed) the stiffer something is getting under the car and rattling. Has anyone already tried replacing the end links on the sway? I suspect Zillion probably already did.
My sound had a much faster attack and decay than that sound .... it literally sounded like one of those dog clickers.

As far as I'm concerned ... it's the frame .... that's why Ford won't admit to it.

REV
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #1885
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
While I appreciate the offer, what is the point?...
teamDFL,

If you choose not to go to the dealer at this time, I can still log it when escalating. This is important to understand the scope of a particular concern.

Cory

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #1886
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Rev,

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=misQUpCGewI
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #1887
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Fair enough. I will get you the info you requested. I am happy to help get to real solution as fast as possible. I hope you understand that I just don't want to waste my time when there isn't a true fix yet.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #1888
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
No ... that's a rattle .... mine was once and done per road imperfection.

REV
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #1889
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
A recall or tsb doesn't matter if you're under warranty or not, you get it fixed for free regardless of the mileage.
I'm pretty sure TSBs aren't free if you're outside of the warranty period.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #1890
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. I will get you the info you requested. I am happy to help get to real solution as fast as possible...
You got it, teamDFL; Iíll keep an eye on my inbox.

Cory

Bookmarks & Social Networks