2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 188 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #1871
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Seriously though, I know they’re working hard on it.

Cory
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHHAAAAAA what a joke!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1872
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
I find this photo interesting.

Its the one part that appears directly attached to the strut tower. (Yellow) Also another observation is in every video I've found on Youtube. The sound when heard from directly next to the strut (outside). It sounds like crunching plastic.. How stiff a material is that dust boot.

Not a Focus but doesn't that sound familiar? We have a similar control arm setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhb6UrWomc
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #1873
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
In all fairness, a service appointment still makes sense. *IF* the dealer mechanics /technicians pass along information they receive. Also, likely some of the noises some of us hear may be tied to other issues, such as the wiper fluid reservoir rattling (I believe that was a fix for a couple people) or something else that could be resolved with a visit.
Question was directed to Cory.

And since you have a big *IF* in your response - plus we know how most these issues are being handled and/or brushed off by dealerships - I kindly dismiss your overall logic...for the time being.

The CSR's assigned to this site should be empowered to do more than just re-direct and coordinate. They need to communicate more info. Like summarizing that these issues can be the result
of various causes (as you have so succinctly pointed out) or that "as we wait for a more broad-based fix to be formalized for this, everyone should get into the dealer to register their concern"...
at a minimum, regardless if they respond with NTF (no trouble found). More importantly, they should pass along official communications of the concern - like progress reports. It's the least
they could do.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #1874
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
I have the clunk but haven't done anything about it since there is no real solution.
You are a wise man to not let your dealership _attempt_ to repair the issue. It is a waste of time, and in my case, caused additional problems that still plague me.

Quote:
If there is a real solution coming, will I need to have registered a complaint in order for me to be able to be eligible for the fix?
I don't think so. On both points.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #1875
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
It does sound a lot like the POS plastic sway bar end links on a Mk I Focus when they go bad. I honestly don't care at this point as there is no indication that it causes any kind of real problem. Yeah, it is annoying, but it certainly isn't keeping me up at night.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #1876
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
When I i was under the car today I did find one other pieces that made sound. It's the same piece in the picture above with the black arrow. The brake line is mounted on it. You can move it around and clunk it against. The strut pretty easy. It looked like it could be insulated pretty easy.

What is that piece.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #1877
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Rev,

I found a couple good videos too on Youtube. When this driver rolls back and forth over his driveway curb you can't miss it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w19NZS3i-GE

and this one is interesting too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se7pC9_LY3g
That's it!

Cory, could you forward this to the engineers? It captures exactly the noise I'm getting from my car.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #1878
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowah View Post
Please tell them to find something soon. The time left on our warranties is ticking away.
A recall or tsb doesn't matter if you're under warranty or not, you get it fixed for free regardless of the mileage.

I know a lot of you are frustrated, I would be too, but a lot of you don't understand the kind of bureaucracy that's goes on in a corporation especially one so engineering dependent. Things take time. Two weeks to you is like a fiscal quarter to a company.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #1879
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
When I i was under the car today I did find one other pieces that made sound. It's the same piece in the picture above with the black arrow. The brake line is mounted on it. You can move it around and clunk it against. The strut pretty easy. It looked like it could be insulated pretty easy.

What is that piece.
Lip,

That is the mass dampener I believe. Its supposed to quell any vibrations. If you suspect it might be the source, try isolating it and see if that helps.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #1880
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The mass damper has no effect on the noise. People with and without them have reported the noise, and I also tried removing them myself to test that theory.

I noted no improvement.

Bookmarks & Social Networks