My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3* - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
If you can't get the car to shut off while in drive, then you're going to have problems getting a dealer to do anything. They can't fix what can't be re-created.

It could just have been an isolated incident- maybe not happen again. If it is what I thought, something is wrong with the ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch, then you should be able to recreate it.

If the transmission lost power, it would probably just go into N or stay in whatever gear it was in.

Sorry about the gender mix up.
Ok that sounds reasonable. I haven't tried re-creating it yet. I will, and will let you know what happens. And as far as I could tell the transmission stayed in drive during the event because it was in drive when I turned the key and it came back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
mishka
Focus Addict

update: today I tried to re-create the problem - and I did.
I was only going about 5 mph in the parking lot, but I grabbed the key and switched it to off while it was rolling in drive. The screen read, again, "transmission not in park, switch to P." I then turned the key to start the engine... guess what... wouldn't start!!! That's right the engine would not start when the car is in drive, rolling, and engine off. I was like... wtf do I do, because I can't restart the car... this is not what happened before - when the car died going downhill before I just turned the key and the car came back to life (while in drive). HOwever this time it wouldnt do anything in the parking lot. So I thought maybe try neutral. I switched to neutral and then the key worked and the engine started.
can anyone else try and re-create this? I hope someone can explain to me wtf happened going down that hill, and if I should take it in to dealership.

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have an explanation for you- your car is not an automatic transmission. It's a DCT, so you had clutches engaged when you were going fast on that hill. That's how it started- just like a manual transmission vehicle that was shut off with the key, it would decelerate, but if you turned the key back on- the engine would fire right up. However, the transmission has to be turning fast enough to turn the engine fast enough to fire. At 5 mph in whatever gear you were in, it wasn't enough.

Since you can recreate it, and you should not be able to turn your key off while the car is driving, then you should go see your dealer, and recreate it for the service manager. That's the important thing for taking a car in to be repaired- you must be able to recreate the problem, if you can't, then it's not a problem. Things happen sometimes, weird things, outer limits, twilight zone weird, and those things never happen again- without any explanation.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
mishka
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I have an explanation for you- your car is not an automatic transmission. It's a DCT, so you had clutches engaged when you were going fast on that hill. That's how it started- just like a manual transmission vehicle that was shut off with the key, it would decelerate, but if you turned the key back on- the engine would fire right up. However, the transmission has to be turning fast enough to turn the engine fast enough to fire. At 5 mph in whatever gear you were in, it wasn't enough.

Since you can recreate it, and you should not be able to turn your key off while the car is driving, then you should go see your dealer, and recreate it for the service manager. That's the important thing for taking a car in to be repaired- you must be able to recreate the problem, if you can't, then it's not a problem. Things happen sometimes, weird things, outer limits, twilight zone weird, and those things never happen again- without any explanation.
Yeah, you're right I should take it into the dealer. The only other mystery now is why did the car engine just turned off randomly like that going down the hill? I did not bump the key.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #25
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Something is wrong with the lock cylinder or the ignition switch, it shouldn't turn back to allow it to turn off anyway.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
mishka
Focus Addict

Just got off the phone with the service guy at my dealership. He said the exact same thing you guys said: it should not be able to turn off in motion -it's a safety feature. They told me to bring in the car Monday after work and they would get me a rental free of charge, and that it should be fixed the next day.
I'm glad it will be fixed, i'm just still frustrated that something like this could go wrong with a brand new car. One of the reasons I bought a brand new car was for the peace of mind that nothing would go wrong. Hopefully it's the only issue with my car.

Also I've been worrying about my MPG. It's hard to believe it can get up to 40mpg on highway. Granted I do mostly city driving, but my cars total "career" mpg so far is 25 mpg... is that something I should think about asking about when I bring to dealer?
Also, I need an oil change. Would it make sense to ask them to do it at the same time? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
mishka
Focus Addict

I just talked to my dad, and he said that it's possible that they give me a brand new car, if the problem repeats itself and/or cannot be fixed, according to "lemon law". Is this true even though I have about 2500 miles on it?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
mishka
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
I just talked to my dad, and he said that it's possible that they give me a brand new car, if the problem repeats itself and/or cannot be fixed, according to "lemon law". Is this true even though I have about 2500 miles on it?

Thanks.
I think I just answered my own question: http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Doc...-LLsummary.pdf

And yes I did just quote myself
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Don't know if you use winter fuel like we do here in Canada, but winter fuel gives you poorer gas mileage

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...yvQFvGPKsgg8ew
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #30
mishka
Focus Addict

disregard this post

Last edited by mishka; 01-25-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks