2013 Focus Titanium. NAV or Not - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
That's one of the reasons I've never used it. I. Can use the navigation on my phone and connect via Bluetooth and get the same turn by turn instructions with out having to worry about logging into sync and downloading the route or having to redownloading if I go off the planned route.
That is absurd...downloading the route? What MFT are you using lol it takes all of five seconds and redirects quicker than my galaxy and i love the navi on the galaxy. No signal issues whatsoever where the stupid phone would have signal issues sometimes locking onto gps.

Notice how the only people saying not to get it are the ones WITHOUT it...coming from someone with the nav and who owned also owned an mk3 without because i thou gg t it would be a.waste....the nav is so much better!

Let me clear the air here and say that sync services navigation SUCKS. I can have a poi or destination spoken, searched, or typed in within the span of one minute but that retarded sync services takes forever and 60000 menus to go through to Enter a destination.

Botoom line, are you going to buy a 27,000 premium car with a huge mft screen and skip navi? That's like buying a tent and gear but hiking with sandals

If your gonna settle without navi don't waste the money on MFT period...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
danno428cj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38992
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium 4dr. Silver

FF Reputation: 1 danno428cj Good Standing Member
I went from no nav to the MFT nav, and I love it, i have used Garmin, Tom Tom, and my galaxy s2, i like the Ford nav the best
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Points 5,481, Level 47
Points: 5,481, Level: 47 Points: 5,481, Level: 47 Points: 5,481, Level: 47
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Go with the Nav. I was skeptical but glad I got it. Here's some advantages I've found so far.

1. An 8-inch screen

2. You can control everything using voice commands without taking your hands off the wheel

3. Turn list view. Because of the big screen, MFT Nav can display the map and the turn list at the same time. It's so helpful knowing the next couple of turns

4. Music volume is automatically lowered when MFT Nav speaks

5. Dead-reckoning. MFT Nav is integrated with the car. When there's no GPS signal(in a garage, tunnel or under tall buildings), it estimates the location using gyroscope, vehicle speed, steering direction and etc

6. Next turn is displayed on the 5'' LCD in the instrument panel. This helps keep your eyes on the road

7. Route recalculation is almost instant. As soon as you miss a turn, it guides you to the next turn
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
The integration is great, in that it works with any audio source (spoken directions, as opposed to having to have BT audio active) and the directions appear on-screen.

That said, the voice commands are absolutely dreadful in terms of being quick to enter most anything. For example...

MFT

Me: "Destination Intersection"

MFT: "First Street"

Me: "3rd Avenue"

MFT: "Please Choose"
[list of W 3rd Ave, E 3rd Ave, 3rd Ave without a direction, etc. appear on screen]

Me: "W 3rd Avenue" (and that's assuming I know which one it is - usually, I don't)

MFT: "Second Street"

Me: "High Street"

[list of N High St, S High St, High St without a direction, etc. appear on screen]

Me: "N High Street"

MFT: "When Ready, Press Set As Destination..."

^ Remember that this is the best-case scenario!

If that doesn't make you want to drive the car into the wall, I don't know what will. Contrast that with...

Google Maps

Me: "Map of 3rd Avenue and High Street, Columbus, Ohio."

^ That's it. And it finds it. The end.

I've resorted to using Google Maps on my phone, coupled with this app, to send complicated directions to the car via Sync Services. It's not a perfect solution, but it's faster than fighting with the system.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
spiderpig
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107025
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 spiderpig Good Standing Member
If you use the sync services it will give you the directions on the information window as well.

Overall, it's really a personal choice. I think that smartphone and IPad's offer more choices in navigation options then the Nav unit.

Even though you sacrifice some of the convience of voice commands, I haven't found it that hard yet. Overall, if I'm going somewhere I put in the address before I start driving so don't really need to talk to my car. I tend to use the voice commands for pretty much everything else (calling people, climate control, etc...).

Good luck with your choices!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
I have Nav on mine and I love it. I find it cheap to have a 25k+ car (Canada pricing) and to buy then a mount for your TomTom when u can have the Nav integrated in the system. And it works great ! For those having problems with the voice commands for Nav, please upgrade to the latest MFT version, a lot of commands were revised.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 9,178, Level 64
Points: 9,178, Level: 64 Points: 9,178, Level: 64 Points: 9,178, Level: 64
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
The integration is great, in that it works with any audio source (spoken directions, as opposed to having to have BT audio active) and the directions appear on-screen.

That said, the voice commands are absolutely dreadful in terms of being quick to enter most anything. For example...

MFT

Me: "Destination Intersection"

MFT: "First Street"

Me: "3rd Avenue"

[list of W 3rd Ave, E 3rd Ave, 3rd Ave without a direction, etc. appear on screen]

Me: "W 3rd Avenue" (and that's assuming I know which one it is - usually, I don't)

MFT: "Second Street"

Me: "High Street"

[list of N High St, S High St, High St without a direction, etc. appear on screen]

Me: "N High Street"

MFT: "When Ready, Press Set As Destination..."

^ Remember that this is the best-case scenario!

If that doesn't make you want to drive the car into the wall, I don't know what will. Contrast that with...

Google Maps

Me: "Map of 3rd Avenue and High Street, Columbus, Ohio."

^ That's it. And it finds it. The end.

I've resorted to using Google Maps on my phone, coupled with this app, to send complicated directions to the car via Sync Services. It's not a perfect solution, but it's faster than fighting with the system.
So you fault a system that wants to get you to an exact location instead of choosing for you where you want to go?

How often does someone really use "destination intersection" as a point? I go where I want to go, "destination POI" or "destination street address."

The system works awesome.
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
Bought nav with my Ti really for resale. It would be harder to get a good price down the road without it. Car has an 8" screen and people will expect nav on it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
So you fault a system that wants to get you to an exact location instead of choosing for you where you want to go?

How often does someone really use "destination intersection" as a point? I go where I want to go, "destination POI" or "destination street address."

The system works awesome.
Maybe I wasn't clear - it's the fact that it lacks (seemingly) obvious logic that I'm faulting. I'm fine with it confirming that it picked the correct, exact location. But the problem is that it brings up a list of cross-streets and intersections that don't even exist.

In the example above, High and 3rd, there is only one point where they cross, and it's only W 3rd and N High. (That may not be accurate, as it's just an example I made up, but that's not the point here). A smart system, like Google Maps, realizes this and deduces that's the only option if I ask for 3rd and High. MFT, on the other hand, pops up a list, and if I pick the wrong one then tells me it doesn't exist, and then the cycle repeats until I finally pick the right combination.

As for "Destination Intersection" usage... I actually use it semi-frequently. Often I know where I'm going and just want to use Nav to get close to that point from wherever I currently am.

And in terms of POIs, that's a clusterfuffle as well sometimes. I ask for one, it tells me to choose from a list, and then never displays the list... all while Sync Lady is getting increasingly insistent that I choose one of the options (that aren't visible).

Perhaps it's been improved in v3.5.1 (I just upgraded today) but the performance to date has been, shall we say, less than robust.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 13' Tuxedo Black ST3, 08' ZZR-600

Points 488, Level 9
Points: 488, Level: 9 Points: 488, Level: 9 Points: 488, Level: 9
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
That is absurd...downloading the route? What MFT are you using lol it takes all of five seconds and redirects quicker than my galaxy and i love the navi on the galaxy. No signal issues whatsoever where the stupid phone would have signal issues sometimes locking onto gps.

Notice how the only people saying not to get it are the ones WITHOUT it...coming from someone with the nav and who owned also owned an mk3 without because i thou gg t it would be a.waste....the nav is so much better!

Let me clear the air here and say that sync services navigation SUCKS. I can have a poi or destination spoken, searched, or typed in within the span of one minute but that retarded sync services takes forever and 60000 menus to go through to Enter a destination.

Botoom line, are you going to buy a 27,000 premium car with a huge mft screen and skip navi? That's like buying a tent and gear but hiking with sandals

If your gonna settle without navi don't waste the money on MFT period...
Not sure if I confused you or not but I was talking using my phone over sync. I don't use the sync services for navi (downloading the route, etc). It's a waste of time when you have a phone that does the same thing better.

That said I do like the MFT better than using my phone, less clutter of positioning a phone and looking at a small screen, the navi works really well with voice control and I like the added information from points of interest, (landmarks, gas prices, atm locations, etc).
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.