2012 Focus - Aftermarket Stereo possibilities. - Page 25 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #241
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I can't wait to see that installed. I may very well buy one in the next couple months.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #242
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

Points 2,867, Level 32
Points: 2,867, Level: 32 Points: 2,867, Level: 32 Points: 2,867, Level: 32
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrums View Post

One thing that has me confused: on the top of the DIN cage is a basic wiring diagram with the following note:

Parking brake must be connected to B- or video will not show.

B- is shown as the negative terminal of the battery. I'm wondering if grounding the parking cable pertains only to the ability to play video in motion? Or does it need to be grounded for the HU to function at all?

Is there an easy place to grab the parking cable signal in the factory harness for the MFT?
Mine is showing a delivery for tomorrow. So they obviously mixed up yours and my order! I'm glad you got your in though! If I get mine tomorrow, which I should, I will install it tomorrow night if I can.

About the parking brake. The last unit I bought did not have anything like that??? I will let you know what I figure out when I get mine tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any other install questions.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #243
cgrums
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108510
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cgrums Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLarson View Post
Mine is showing a delivery for tomorrow. So they obviously mixed up yours and my order! I'm glad you got your in though! If I get mine tomorrow, which I should, I will install it tomorrow night if I can.

About the parking brake. The last unit I bought did not have anything like that??? I will let you know what I figure out when I get mine tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any other install questions.
I'm glad they got your order sorted. I read a bit more and it seems that the parking brake wire (from the headunit) is to be grounded, this allows for full functionality of the screen in motion.

One thing I noticed is that there is no SD card in the slot, I'm assuming for the GPS software. I've ordered a 2 GB (non-HC) card and plan to install iGo Primo for the navigation software. Do you have a preference for navigation software?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #244
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,867, Level 32
Level Up 78% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
I'm glad they got your order sorted. I read a bit more and it seems that the parking brake wire (from the headunit) is to be grounded, this allows for full functionality of the screen in motion.

One thing I noticed is that there is no SD card in the slot, I'm assuming for the GPS software. I've ordered a 2 GB (non-HC) card and plan to install iGo Primo for the navigation software. Do you have a preference for navigation software?
It "should" come with the required software for everything. Including the GPS maps.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #245
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,867, Level 32
Level Up 78% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Well I got my stereo in today. I've noticed a few issues right off the bat. Things which I greatly prefer about the first unit I bought (aside from it never turning on). The first thing which I noticed that bugged me was no labels on most of the wires. There is a very vague wiring diagram on the unit itself but it kind of sucks. For example it says the back up camera is the yellow RCA. But there are three yellow RCA's.

The second major downer in my book was that the movewell unit had an extra female USB which I ran to my glove. This was perfect since I have an iphone 5. Or to hook up my brothers android phone etc. Well this unit only comes with a first gen iphone connecter.
This means I will need to buy an adapter. Dumb. And most of you will too.
The third issue.
This is the wire to connect to the cars antenna. Well the focus has two of these wires and this unit only has one.
The fourth issue.
There are at least three wires I have found which have special clips that will not hook up to my car. (Maybe a mft car???)
The movewell unit was much more plug and play and the clips felt like the clicked together better. If that makes sense.
I may install it tonight. I may not. I'm actually a little bummed about it. Hopefully installing it successfully will raise my opinion about it.

Ps. The front if the unit looks A+.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #246
cgrums
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108510
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cgrums Good Standing Member
I'm glad that I didn't buy anything prior to this unit, so it ends up being my baseline for features / fit & finish.

Some things I observed:

- The two lower corner 'buttons' are just covers that, for me, were in their sockets very tightly. They open from inboard to outboard and you have to pry them *just* a bit. Behind the lower left cover is the SD card slot, behind the right cover is the front USB port. That took me a while to find (with no mention in the 'manual').

- The video inputs/outputs on the rear of the unit have raised letters on the sides of the connector indicating their function.

I'll be able to comment on Saturday as to the difference in wiring vs. the stock MFT.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #247
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

I wonder how bad of a job it will be to get that thing going in my s model. I have next to no features. I may just say screw it and spend the money on my mustang or on my arsenal...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #248
dpando1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92144
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus SE Sport Package

Points 225, Level 4
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 dpando1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
I wonder how bad of a job it will be to get that thing going in my s model. I have next to no features. I may just say screw it and spend the money on my mustang or on my arsenal...
Easy..you want to put down the cash on arms and ammunition!
hahahah

seriously though....
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #249
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpando1 View Post
Easy..you want to put down the cash on arms and ammunition!
hahahah

seriously though....
I'm picking up a 1911 this weekend.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #250
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,867, Level 32
Level Up 78% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
I'm glad that I didn't buy anything prior to this unit, so it ends up being my baseline for features / fit & finish.

Some things I observed:

- The two lower corner 'buttons' are just covers that, for me, were in their sockets very tightly. They open from inboard to outboard and you have to pry them *just* a bit. Behind the lower left cover is the SD card slot, behind the right cover is the front USB port. That took me a while to find (with no mention in the 'manual').

- The video inputs/outputs on the rear of the unit have raised letters on the sides of the connector indicating their function.

I'll be able to comment on Saturday as to the difference in wiring vs. the stock MFT.
I also noticed the raised letters on the sides of the connectors as I installed it last night.

Yeah I was aware if the sd and micro USB on the face of the unit. But why they would put the micro USB on the face and not have a USB for the glove instead of an iphone cable is beyond me.

I love when car threads move to gun talk(I'm not being facetious). I'd love to buy a nice 1911. But they are big $$$.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.