Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Oh how I missed her..

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  ZXthrizzle05 
#1 ·
Well as many of you may know about 7 months or so ago i messed up the head in my focus by sucking up some water. In lieu of buying a new toy project (ls1 fd rx7) I hadnt been motivated to fix the car. Well i finally got the motivation. And i can say ITS ALIVE!!!..

I didnt realize how much i had missed my car. You would think that driving around a 400whp v-8 2800lbs rx7 would satisfy my urge for what my focus gave to me I realized today that it did not. Even just a few pounds of boost (waiting until i feel comfortable about the head before i go big) and the way the car drives I realized it truly is one of a kind. Here is the post in the archives now that gives a better history of me and my car ( http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4244252#post4244252 )

For those that dont know my car I posted about it in the ride of the month forum. ( http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306663&page=5 ) Look about half way down the page and it gives just a small history of my car. I was thinking about selling it when i bought my rx7 (funny enough right after i posted the for sale ad is when it broke.. haha. she told me [slap]) but after not having it for a while and driving it again today she is home for good again. I cant sell her she holds too much of an amazing story in my life.

For those that do know my car.. DANCE WITH ME.....[woot] ....Oh and vote for me for Ride Of The Month...[giddy]

See less See more
#3 ·
i dont. Its a simple setup. all i did was use the egr hose for the return line. tapped it into the fuel tank. stuffed some fuel cell foam in my tank. left the canister in there so i have a fuel gauge. then bought a walbro HP pump (there is a difference that from the regular walbro) extended the feed hose and stuffed it into the back of my tank at the bottom between some of the fuel cell foam.. That simple. Or are you talking about thh fitch fuel system?

#4 ·
glad to hear you got it back. i know what you mean about missing the car lol. if they got better mileage i would get me another to play with. but i am going to end up with a tdi wagon and just modding the miata

Tim

#5 ·
Better mileage???? I average 27mpg. Mixed spirited driving. and over 30mpg on freeway. Thats not good enough to you for a 400+whp car? To me thats good for any car. lol

#11 ·
my sti and miata both get 27mpg. and no hat isnt close to good enough for me. no need for another car that gets the same as my others. a tdi gets 45-50mpg. and as far as 400whp when i get my ls swap in the miata it will get better mileage than it does now lol

#8 ·
yes i could and look into it. its a system motor trend tested a few years back and it raises octane level of your current fuel by gauranteed 3 points. and btw.. the concerns i had with the head i put on were confirmed today. it had one of the spark plugs that looked a bit off to me and unfortunately i got into a little bit of boost and it blew the spark plug right out of the hole. so back to square one again.

#9 ·
When I tested a car with the fitch inline part they claimed a higher octane with an increase in HP and TQ

On the dyno the car had about .8 to 1.2 deg knock before and after the install and made less then 1.5 HP gain which could of been from anything , showed me there was no octane increase and shown no gains in over performance in HP or TQ

Tom

#12 ·
not to thread jack here but tonight I went and did some 10psi pulls. first two in second gear were pretty good, mind you its steady rain and the -ground is covered in water. then the next two runs it almost felt like misfire to me and or that im having NO control what so ever and it felt like when it crept to 5k the car was jumping like when someone is learning how to drive a manual for first time and stalling it with the bunny hop bounces. I have a feeling I snapped the dog bone. gonna wait till tomorrow and see if the rain let up and I get more traction and that symptom isn't there

#16 ·
When I tested a car with the fitch inline part they claimed a higher octane with an increase in HP and TQ

On the dyno the car had about .8 to 1.2 deg knock before and after the install and made less then 1.5 HP gain which could of been from anything , showed me there was no octane increase and shown no gains in over performance in HP or TQ

Tom
When they tested it on an ls1 it produced more hp on 89 octane than the motor did with out it on 91 octane. they said that it picked up an average of 17 hp. Also the Air force uses it on all of their vehicles on the flight line. So Im not sure but Thats got to mean something.

what was your concern with the head?
Well i went and picked up a used head hoping it would last me until i got my head rebuilt. Or at least for a little while. Well when i got the other head cleaned up I noticed some small dents/dings on one of the cylinder sections of the head (no damage to the valves so i didnt think that was gonna be a problem) Then after i got the head installed and i went to install the spark plugs. on cylinder #1 the spark plug sat lower than all the others. So i checked to make sure it didnt hit or anything and snugged it down (it was more difficult to snug down as well) I had a feeling that at some point that spark plug hole had been repaired. So my concern with it was that it wasnt going to hold boost. and I was right. so im going to take the head off again and take it back and just fix my head like i should have to begin with.

#21 ·
probably not. i mean hell my head has over 100k miles on it the last 60-70k boosted. so im sure the stock valves are still good. Ill just get one to replace the bad one and then get a valve job and it all cleaned up good.

#20 ·
dude just take 30 seconds to jack the car up and peek at the tranny mount. if you broke that thing and go to get into the boost that motor is going to buck hard enough for it to break vacuum lines and the intake manifold smack the firewall. ask me how i know. i just dont want to see you having more problems by breaking it worse when you can just do a quick visual first and then if its intact you can go get in the boost and see what happens.

and it might help to take a datalog as well. im sure tom would be happy to take a peek at it and tell you whats going on if you asked.

#24 ·
where the maf is located doesnt matter. its where the air filter is at. if its getting cold air then its probably getting wet. turbo moves a lot of air very quickly when your in boost and sucks that water in and pushes it to the maf. it wont hurt any thing just cant really get high boost when its raining lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.