Installing Heated Mirrors - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #81
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)

The wire is in the door. This is inside the car where it plugs in
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #82
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
Hello all, just some feedback and my experience. I have a 13 se, it has turn indicators on the mirror. I have all power windows, no IA, and no auto up down on any windows except drivers. I bought a right side mirror with turn and heat ( I dont care about puddle light) I plugged it in and turned rear defrost on and the heated mirror works. I then ordered the left which is not yet installed. I will report back after the left is in. I did not address anything with the BCM. It was simply plug and play with my configuration. I would imagine that could change with options, but it did work for me.

Rich
How much were they? Where did you order from?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #83
Bigbot45
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87124
What I Drive: 2014 Q50 - Formally 2012 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Bigbot45 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hello all, just some feedback and my experience. I have a 13 se, it has turn indicators on the mirror. I have all power windows, no IA, and no auto up down on any windows except drivers. I bought a right side mirror with turn and heat ( I dont care about puddle light) I plugged it in and turned rear defrost on and the heated mirror works. I then ordered the left which is not yet installed. I will report back after the left is in. I did not address anything with the BCM. It was simply plug and play with my configuration. I would imagine that could change with options, but it did work for me.

Rich
I think anyone with 4 power windows but no IA/Auto Up/Down should share the same experience as yourself. I don't think the puddle lamps will happen though without replacing all of the door hardware.
1990 Mazda Protege <-- 1986 Subaru GL-10 Turbo
1986 Volvo 240 DL
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #84
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
The wire is in the door. This is inside the car where it plugs in
Perfect. Looks like I know what my next purchase is. Now to find out the cost + the cost of getting them painted.
EDIT: Never mind on getting them painted. Looks like you can swap the covers. But found one on eBay. Heated, puddle lamps and folding mirrors. Now that'd be nice.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #85
redlightrich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108392
What I Drive: 2013 white se

FF Reputation: 1 redlightrich Good Standing Member
Hello Novus, when I say "plugged it in" I mean the mirror has a female end built into the frame, when you bolt the mirror in place, its portion of the plug is in place. The wiring harness end is right behind the door tweeter, which simply snaps off. If your current mirrors are good, the plastic painted portion unclips ( carefully) and will snap into the new one. I still did not replace the left one as I am waiting for it to show up from the dealer. I expect no issues, but you never know. I will report back when I install the left.

Rich
Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #86
Squeak
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103881
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic Candy Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 Squeak Good Standing Member
Hello Everyone,

I want only genuine Ford parts so I found this

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...rd&model=Focus

I believe that is the Heated Mirror w/ Signal and Puddle . Does that look right to you guys?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #87
Titanium Tony
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98460
What I Drive: 2012, Wht Platinum,Ti Hatch,hdg pkg

FF Reputation: 4 Titanium Tony Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Hello Everyone,

I want only genuine Ford parts so I found this

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...rd&model=Focus

I believe that is the Heated Mirror w/ Signal and Puddle . Does that look right to you guys?
I found some on Ebay for less;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-OE...8d2c52&vxp=mtr
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #88
Squeak
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103881
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic Candy Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 Squeak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Tony View Post
So these are just the parts right? Like the mirror and the lights not the case. So I would have to find a blue case that has a spot for the light?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #89
redlightrich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108392
What I Drive: 2013 white se

FF Reputation: 1 redlightrich Good Standing Member
Hello all, just an update. I did buy and install the left one as well. Just to go over what I have, so you can draw your own conclusions. I have a 13 SE, with the 201A package ( I think) anyway, my car had turn signals in the mirrors and power mirrors. NO puddle light. I have regular remote key/fob NO I/A. I have power windows on all doors, but only one touch on drivers door.

I bought heated, power, turn signal mirrors from my local Ford dealer. They come WITHOUT the painted surface. If you tilt the mirror glass, you will find the release tabs on top. I think it is best to wait until you have the new mirror so you can see it without the painted cap as that view will show exactly where the tabs for release are. The painted cap from the original mirror just clips onto the new one.

Anyway, I simply removed the originals and installed the new ones, hit the rear defroster and they work. They actually heat up fairly quickly.

When I took the right mirror off originally to inspect, I noticed that Ford is using very tiny wiring pins in the plugs. This is what prevented me from simply swapping out the glass for heated glass.

I compared my original to the new heated mirror, and the only differnce I can see was the heated glass, and 2 wires that run from the back of the mirror glass to the plug in the base of the mirror assembly.
If anyone can find these "micro" pins, then it is absolutely possible to save some money and buy the glass as opposed to the whole assembly as I did.

My next project is to install heated seats using the factory parts. They sell everything seperately. The wiring is already in place, so I will sort this out soon. Then I will have the winter package I wanted but could not find.

I hope this writing helped someone.

Be well

Rich
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #90
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hello all, just an update. I did buy and install the left one as well. Just to go over what I have, so you can draw your own conclusions. I have a 13 SE, with the 201A package ( I think) anyway, my car had turn signals in the mirrors and power mirrors. NO puddle light. I have regular remote key/fob NO I/A. I have power windows on all doors, but only one touch on drivers door.

I bought heated, power, turn signal mirrors from my local Ford dealer. They come WITHOUT the painted surface. If you tilt the mirror glass, you will find the release tabs on top. I think it is best to wait until you have the new mirror so you can see it without the painted cap as that view will show exactly where the tabs for release are. The painted cap from the original mirror just clips onto the new one.

Anyway, I simply removed the originals and installed the new ones, hit the rear defroster and they work. They actually heat up fairly quickly.

When I took the right mirror off originally to inspect, I noticed that Ford is using very tiny wiring pins in the plugs. This is what prevented me from simply swapping out the glass for heated glass.

I compared my original to the new heated mirror, and the only differnce I can see was the heated glass, and 2 wires that run from the back of the mirror glass to the plug in the base of the mirror assembly.
If anyone can find these "micro" pins, then it is absolutely possible to save some money and buy the glass as opposed to the whole assembly as I did.

My next project is to install heated seats using the factory parts. They sell everything seperately. The wiring is already in place, so I will sort this out soon. Then I will have the winter package I wanted but could not find.

I hope this writing helped someone.

Be well

Rich
Sounds just like it was on my Dodge Dakota. It was just the glass that was needed to be swapped as the harness was already there. As for the seats, this is something that I have been looking into as well. I was able to find a part number for the heated seat switch, but I misplaced it

Since winter is going to be coming to an end soon. This is something that is not a priority right now, but will be something I'd like to have this upcoming fall/winter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks