2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 65 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #641
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGal View Post
Fast forward to last night when on a more gentle acceleration we heard an odd "grinding" noise (sounded like dragging something plastic on the ground or shaking gravel in a plastic bottle) and a shudder going up a slight incline into our driveway that felt like the car was going to stall out.

I'm exceedingly frustrated and my daughter no longer feels safe driving her car. This was quite an investment as it was to be the car that got her through her senior year of high school and all the way through college before she'd need a new car. We didn't go cheap here as even as a (slightly) used car we dropped $20K.

Perhaps Ford needs to realize that most of us might be willing to sacrifice a few mpg for a car that actually accelerates when called upon to do so, doesn't roll backwards on an incline, and doesn't shudder nearly to a stall when you can't put the pedal to the metal in city traffic.
So far that I've heard, no one that has had the "grinding" noise has fixed it with flooring the car 5 times. That might fix the shuddering issue for the non-leakers, but that "grinding" is the clutch slipping which means the clutch is probably already bad (contaminated with oil, or overheated by some other means).

The good news is that my clutch has been acting up for over 18k miles, so you'll still be able to get some life out of it. The bad news is that unless your car has an external transmission oil leak, Ford doesn't care about you. The noises don't go away, your friends will laugh at you, and you're probably raping your engine mounts.

Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #642
SouthernGal
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108932
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SouthernGal Good Standing Member
Some pleasant news!

Cory,

Thanks for the reply. I got some good news from the dealer's service department, but I will send you a PM.

Strix - Thanks for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time.

Kam - Thanks for the reply and the tip. When we get the car back I will remember that.

PratoN - Thanks.

Now for the good news. I got a call from the service manager and after some time being befuddled (the reprogramming was the most current) over why the issues were still going on he did some more research and some more looking. They found a leak in the transmission system (not an external leak) so the dual clutch assembly was getting transmission fluid on it.

They're keeping the car for a while to fix the leak and replace the clutches.

In the meantime they gave me a loaner so that we're not trying to juggle to schedules with one car. It's a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and it's really quite nice. It is interesting to see what the transmission is suppose to feel like. It is more like riding in a well-driven manual transmission. The shifts are more noticeable than in an automatic, but it isn't nearly enough to make you say, "What the heck was that?"

So I've got hopes that once the transmission leak is fixed my daughter's car will be running as it should - which will make both of us very happy.

Thank you all for your advice and feedback. I really appreciate it. I was at my wits' end last night (as was my daughter). I will be back once the repairs are finished to let you know how it all worked out ... and hopefully we'll both be back in love with our respective Foci!

Though I have to admit after driving the 2012 sedan for a couple of days I might just be willing to cheat on my beloved 2010!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #643
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
They're keeping the car for a while to fix the leak and replace the clutches.

In the meantime they gave me a loaner so that we're not trying to juggle to schedules with one car. It's a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and it's really quite nice. It is interesting to see what the transmission is suppose to feel like. It is more like riding in a well-driven manual transmission. The shifts are more noticeable than in an automatic, but it isn't nearly enough to make you say, "What the heck was that?"

So I've got hopes that once the transmission leak is fixed my daughter's car will be running as it should - which will make both of us very happy.
Good news. Things are looking up. But you might want to temper your hopes just a bit. I had my clutches replaced too and it still shifted sloppily and shuddered afterwards (I think it was a software issue). That's when I did the 5 hard starts and it got much better.

It's great that you have a nearly perfectly operating loaner to compare to. Now you know what's possible. But I'll tell you, a perfectly operating DCT (which mine has been for short periods here and there) is just as smooth as a conventional automatic but shifts even faster. So if your loaner's shifts are more noticeable than a conventional auto, even that one may have some minor issues.

But definitely post again to let us know how it all worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
The bad news is that unless your car has an external transmission oil leak, Ford doesn't care about you. The noises don't go away, your friends will laugh at you, and you're probably raping your engine mounts.

Enjoy.
Wow, bad day?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #644
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Wow, bad day?
I don't mean to speak for PratoN, but I can tell you that every day I have to drive my car is a bad day. And the further I have to drive it, the worse of a day it is.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #645
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Cory, Thanks for the reply. I got some good news from the dealer's service department, but I will send you a PM...
Youíre welcome, SouthernGal! Iíll keep an eye on my inbox.

Quote:
...The good news is that my clutch has been acting up for over 18k miles...
PratoN,

Itís very important to me that you get this resolved. Please contact me via PM so I can arrange a follow-up from your regional customer service manager.

Quote:
...There are many on here, like me, that have had problems but eventually got them fixed for good...
It puts me in a good mood when I see youíre enjoying your ride, kam327.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
I don't mean to speak for PratoN, but I can tell you that every day I have to drive my car is a bad day. And the further I have to drive it, the worse of a day it is.
Strix,

I see you were called; let me know if you change your mind on going back to the dealer.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #646
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Wow, bad day?
Little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
PratoN,

It’s very important to me that you get this resolved. Please contact me via PM so I can arrange a follow-up from your regional customer service manager.
I am due for an oil change...
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #647
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
...I am due for an oil change...
PratoN,

I know what would go perfectly with that oil change: a call from your friendly neighborhood CSM. LOL Say the word and Iíll set it up.

Cory

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #648
hound
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99777
What I Drive: 2012 black titanium

FF Reputation: 1 hound Good Standing Member
i got a new clutch assembly put in two days ago.runs fantastic!
i took the tech for a ride before christmas.he drove for 15 minutes then i drove 15 minutes then him again and geuss what it slipped and he said YAH ITS A SLIPPING.took a month and a half to get the parts in..theres a north american back order on them.got it in and let me say it has never driven this nice.no bucking no jerking no slipping no anything.feels like an automatic trans now.i hope this lasts.he told me its an updated part.
now for the new mft update BLAH
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #649
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound View Post
i got a new clutch assembly put in two days ago.runs fantastic!...
Thanks for posting an update, hound; it makes me really happy to see this!

Cory

Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #650
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
So I put off getting my tranny problem looked at for a few months and drove it for around 14k miles with it shaking and slipping the clutches. After around 6k miles the slipping mostly went away but still shuddered between 1st n 2nd gears when taking off from a stop. I have around 32k total miles on it, May2011 build.

I was worried they might not replace my clutches after drive testing or not find a leak in the bell housing seal. Wasn't sure if they would even look for it ... But they did and it was a leak at the bell housing! Repair for new clutches is under way and eta is 2days to complete. Getting a free rental in the mean time! Really happy to get this done so I can enjoy the dct like when it was new!

Will post back results after I get it back. Hope the rest of you guys (PratoN) get yours fixed too.

Last edited by noahsfocus; 01-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks