Focus Problem - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
ruger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108963
What I Drive: 2003 blue se

FF Reputation: 1 ruger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Problem

I Have a '03 focus. my problem is yesterday while driving everything shutdown
the gas gauge went to empty the speedo went to zero lost all the lights and i was still driving the car. So i pulled onto the shoulder and put the car in park and it died. after about 10 mins it started and everything went back to normal
and drove it home. the battery is brand new. Same thing happened twice before except the car didn't die. anyone have any ideas why this happened ? before yesterday it was 3 weeks before it happened.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
I Have a '03 focus. my problem is yesterday while driving everything shutdown
the gas gauge went to empty the speedo went to zero lost all the lights and i was still driving the car. So i pulled onto the shoulder and put the car in park and it died. after about 10 mins it started and everything went back to normal
and drove it home. the battery is brand new. Same thing happened twice before except the car didn't die. anyone have any ideas why this happened ? before yesterday it was 3 weeks before it happened.

Thanks
Get the battery and alternator checked out. All the power and electrical dying has me leaning towards that. I'm guessing the new battery is the only thing keeping that car started. The auto stores or AAA should be able to test both for you.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
ruger
Focus Rookie

took it in to the shop that works on my cars and on the way it died again. waited about 10 mins and started up and continued on my way. guy who runs the shop can't find any problems. altrenator is fine , battery is fine , battery cables fine nothing loose . so im puzzled as to why this keeps happening
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
worfz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98426
What I Drive: 2003 SE Sedan 2.3L PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 worfz Good Standing Member
When you said you lost all the lights in your first post, which lights did you mean? Were you driving with headlights on and the headlights died at the same time the gas gauge and speedo went to zero? And at that point the car was still running normally otherwise until you stopped and put it in park?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
ruger
Focus Rookie

headlight were on monday night when it lost power but didn't die. tuesday afternoon no headlights on when it died. inside interior light was very dim . no lights on this morning when it happened again
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I'd replace the power cables, my focus did that before I would loose all the gauges and the light and sometimes the car would still run or it would shut off. I went through a couple of alternators before finally replacing the cables and haven't had a problem since.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks