Squeaks, creaks, and rattles - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #101
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Anyone else's windshield make kind of a clicking or ticking noise when going over bumps?
Could be a few things - battery cap, coolant reservoir, cowl/covers by the windshield wipers, etc.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302626
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #102
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Thanks. I think this is a bit different as it is morr a click than a rattle. I read in some other car forums that the windshield shrinks some when it is cold and might move a bit against its gasket or frame or whatever.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #103
ca45006
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87648
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ca45006 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Anyone else's windshield make kind of a clicking or ticking noise when going over bumps?
Mine does - It sounds like a metal hitting glass. It sounds like its coming from where the top of the windshield meets the roof. It starts when the temp drops under 45 degress and gets worse (louder and more frequent) as the temp gets colder. Since the temp here in central Ohio has been really cold (under 20 degrees F) it's getting really bad. I wonder how many other people have this problem and if there is a fix. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #104
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca45006 View Post
Mine does - It sounds like a metal hitting glass. It sounds like its coming from where the top of the windshield meets the roof. It starts when the temp drops under 45 degress and gets worse (louder and more frequent) as the temp gets colder. Since the temp here in central Ohio has been really cold (under 20 degrees F) it's getting really bad. I wonder how many other people have this problem and if there is a fix. Thanks.
Some of the posters in the Scion threads said they fixed the problem with double sided foam tape or foam weather stripping added between the glass and the frame.

Mine is coming from exactly where you describe.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #105
cafelatte
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112193
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 cafelatte Good Standing Member
I've had the headliner creaking/rattling problem since I bought the car back in late 2011. The long story below might be interesting to anyone thinking of getting it fixed by a dealer.

After initially getting the dealer to even acknowledge that there was a problem, the solution after several visits seems to be: 'apply glue, hope for the best'. It's not fixing the problem. Even after a customer service escalation, the solution was to go back to the dealer, more glue. Given the headliner has to come down for them to fix it, each time there's more minor wear and tear on the inside of the car, and at least another wasted half day for me. I really like this car, but I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought it. I feel like a nuisance customer at this point (because I take the car into the dealer for the 'normal' stuff too).

Does Ford seriously not acknowledge there's an issue with this? The headliner around the moon roof is flimsy, and this glue obsession might be fun for the mechanics, but it's clearly not a permanent fix.

details:

February '12, I bring it in for the 11E04 emissions recall, and ask them to fix the headliner. After some insistence there really is a rattle, I wait a few hours and I'm told that it's fixed. If I remember correctly, the reason given was 'misaligned magnets', and I didn't have any reason to doubt him (The notes say 'RESECURED MOLDING'). Seemed okay for a while, but there's a bit of a rattle in the colder mornings. A warm summer followed, so it wasn't a huge problem.

November '12, the rattle is back almost full time, so I have it investigated when I'm in for the next service. I get 'NO PROBLEM FOUND, UNABLE TO DUPLICATE RATTLE'. I insist on a proper investigation. The next week I get a loaner car for two days, during which the dealer calls me saying they can't find a rattle - I insist that there is one, especially in the mornings when it's colder. Eventually, I get the car back with the note 'CK FOR RATTLE DID NOT CONFIRM BUT HEARD CREEK NOISE INSPECT HEADLINER AND REGLUE RD TEST OK'. The car reeks of glue for a day, but the rattle (sorry, 'creaking') is gone. I notice part of the headliner in the rear is a bit crushed, but I don't care because it's not that prominent and mostly I'm just happy it's fixed.

Feb '13, the creaking is back - not as bad as before, so I decide I'll just live with it. Ford happen to email me, asking me for a review of the car. They say that good or bad it'll go up. My review generally praises the car (I do like it a lot), but mentions that some of the parts and build quality aren't great. Instead of posting the review, I get an escalated customer care issue. The rep who calls me is friendly, but insists I bring the car back to the dealer, despite my reluctance. I have to explain the situation to the dealer from scratch, even though the rep says he spoke to the dealer about this issue. I'm feeling like a real nuisance customer at this point. After a couple of hours I get the car back with the note "RECHECK HEADLINER FOUND RIGHT FRONT LOOSE REGLUE HEADLINER OK LAST TIME WAS THE REAR OFF HEADLINER CAME LOOSE". I'm assured that it should be fixed, and I head off. The service rep rings me 2 days later and I confirm that the problem is fixed, which I regret doing now. A couple of days later I notice more marks on the dashboard trim, and of course, the creaking is back.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #106
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

^ I think when it comes to rattles, you really just need to fix it yourself -because the dealership is going to keep following the recommended method of fixing it - which is more glue.

In humid continental climates, the glue WILL fail - it's just a matter of time. If you have the moonroof, let it fail - the headliner can't fall as it's also supported on the sides as well as with 3M locking strips around the moonroof. Instead, stick felt (or foam) in between the glue of the headliner and the metal supports (or roof itself) to stop the rattling.

If you don't have a moonroof, you'll have to have the dealership fix it or take the whole thing down yourself... so good luck with that.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #107
cafelatte
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112193
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 cafelatte Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
^ I think when it comes to rattles, you really just need to fix it yourself -because the dealership is going to keep following the recommended method of fixing it - which is more glue.

Instead, stick felt (or foam) in between the glue of the headliner and the metal supports (or roof itself) to stop the rattling.
I think if there were no moon roof, or the headliner weren't so flimsy, this problem wouldn't be so acute.

It does appear that the 'fix it yourself' approach is the most popular, but then again, I'm guessing people here are comfortable with doing stuff like that. It's not as if I'm useless with my hands, it's more the fact that I bought a new car so I'd have a warranty and could have the dealer take care of any problems. It didn't occur to me that Ford would be so incapable in this instance.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #108
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
I had a headliner rattle and it was pretty apparent that the entire liner was becoming detatched...I took it to the dealer, they used a "repair kit"...still there. I got hooked up with "customer service" via this message board...no dice. I got one of those online dealer surveys via email and expressed my frustration on that form. I got a call from the dealership the next day and a brand new headliner a few days later. It's as good as new now.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #109
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafelatte View Post
It's not as if I'm useless with my hands, it's more the fact that I bought a new car so I'd have a warranty and could have the dealer take care of any problems. It didn't occur to me that Ford would be so incapable in this instance.
That's exactly how I feel. Headliner rattle, clutch issues, possible suspension clunks, seat and speaker rattles, etc. and the only things I've seen even remotely close to fixes are procedures that users on this website have tried.

There was a reason I stopped driving my last car with 170k miles - it was because I had graduated and needed to work full-time and didn't want to deal with the uncertainty in reliability of my other car. I was also sick of having to fix it myself all of the time.

Granted, this car hasn't left me stranded anywhere (yet) - but at least I could repair my 2002 Escape at night/on the weekends and not be late for work. Currently, I have to drop it off at the dealership without getting a rental just to be told that my problems are either normal or non-existent.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #110
RockyD
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93737
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 RockyD Good Standing Member
I traded mine in last week mostly because of the constant rattles. My wife's VW is 12 years old and rock solid, not a single creak or rattle. When I had to sit in the back seat while my wife drove just so I could identify rattle locations, I knew I was done.

Bookmarks & Social Networks