Block Heater Question - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
at that temp block heater is mandatory the coolant is close to freezing at that temp. Just noticing your sig, says your in Toronto. Didnt know it was that cold there recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,794, Level 32
Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 11 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNFocusFan View Post
The temperature gauge is all the way cold and it take 15-20 minutes to reach normal operating temperature.

My suspension is squealing loudly over even small bumps, it's like my tires have dog squeaky toys on them it's insanely loud. I can't identify the squeak's location, but am assuming it's suspension.
Sounds like my car this morning (-4*F). Super squeaky and it didn't get to operating temperature until a mile onto the highway (~3 miles / 10 minutes) - of course, I don't have a block heater.

EDIT: -40*C? Holy Christ. http://www.findlocalweather.com/weat...re_canada.html
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #23
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaToX View Post
at that temp block heater is mandatory the coolant is close to freezing at that temp. Just noticing your sig, says your in Toronto. Didnt know it was that cold there recently.
I'm from Toronto but working on a contract up in northern Ontario.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,794, Level 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
I'm from Toronto but working on a contract up in northern Ontario.
At temperatures that low, it sounds like your car would need a 60%/40% or 70%/30% (which I don't even think is recommended) coolant to water ratio. And I'd say screw Ford and get some Mobil1 full synthetic 0W-20.

Also, what temperature does 5W-20 oil freeze at...?

EDIT: Apparently it's called a "pour point" in oil. As it turns to peanut butter and is basically useless.

And I don't even know how well that number relates to "rapid cold starts" - whatever those are... Where are those users that praise AMSOIL when you need them?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
At temperatures that low, it sounds like your car would need a 60%/40% or 70%/30% (which I don't even think is recommended) coolant to water ratio. And I'd say screw Ford and get some Mobil1 full synthetic 0W-20.

Also, what temperature does oil freeze at...?
I have no clue, I'm going to make sure I get the service guy to document that he said no to a lower viscosity oil. He said since he used Motorcraft 5W20 Semi-Syn it's fine even this cold... I just don't want to void the warranty, I've only got 7000kms on it.

I called the shop, they're looking at it now. Will update you guys. Whoever decided that living at these latitudes was a good idea
Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,794, Level 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Well, looks like the Motorcraft oil is getting really thick at those temperatures (-42*C). Worst yet, 0W-20 will only buy you a few degrees (-47*C), but not much.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...0Synthetic.pdf

http://www.uslube.com/SPEC%20SHEETS/...Eng%20Oils.pdf
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Well, looks like the Motorcraft oil is getting really thick at those temperatures. Worst yet, 0W-20 will only buy you a few degrees, but not much.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...0Synthetic.pdf

http://www.uslube.com/SPEC%20SHEETS/...Eng%20Oils.pdf
Thanks for looking that up! I was googling with nothing coming up useful. I searched for low temperature additives but nothing looks promising. Still no news from the dealer. I hope they at least managed to get my trunk to stay shut.

I'm not too technical with that stuff, so pour point is the point at which the oil is next to useless? It's around -35c ~ - 39c when I try to start it which is damn close to pour point but not right at it. I'm guessing that I'm losing a lot of protection at those temps and it's not good for the engine. Does it being within spec make a difference?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #28
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Well here's my result. Apparently my block heater doesn't work and hasn't for awhile if at all. Also my squeaking was a result of a lack of grease in a strut bushing. The explanation wasn't clear.

The local Ford dealer won't get a block heater in until Friday at the earliest, at which point the cold snap is expected to lift.

To be honest with you guys I'm pissed. I've missed quite a few hours of work because my car wouldn't start due to the cold. Today alone I was 2 hours late. Had my block heater been working my car would have started and I wouldn't have had to deal with all this. The car isn't even 9 months old, has 7100km.

Should I be calling ford to complain about all this? It's supposed to be -39 again tonight and I doubt my car will start in the morning.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,794, Level 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Well here's my result. Apparently my block heater doesn't work and hasn't for awhile if at all. Also my squeaking was a result of a lack of grease in a strut bushing. The explanation wasn't clear.

To be honest with you guys I'm pissed.

Should I be calling ford to complain about all this? It's supposed to be -39 again tonight and I doubt my car will start in the morning.
Sorry about your luck - I don't think complaining will really solve anything, I'm willing to bet that your car won't start tomorrow either. As for the squeaks, I wonder if I should be greasing my strut bearing(s)?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #30
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 5,882, Level 49
Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

The local Ford dealer won't get a block heater in until Friday at the earliest, at which point the cold snap is expected to lift.

To be honest with you guys I'm pissed. I've missed quite a few hours of work because my car wouldn't start due to the cold. Today alone I was 2 hours late. Had my block heater been working my car would have started and I wouldn't have had to deal with all this. The car isn't even 9 months old, has 7100km.

I was working on a house and one of the neighbours couldn't get his new f150 to start so be called the dealer and they sent out two mechanics to get it started and take it to get repaired if needed. Demand they send someone to help get it started if you want or ask for a loaner until its fixed. Besides that I don't know if you can do anything
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.

Bookmarks & Social Networks