Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics" - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #31
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
Having worked in the industrial control industry, a lot of onlookers used to say fix it with software. Sometimes a kludge can be done, but it's really hard to fix broken actuators and leaky seals with a software update.

And as far as Ford not working on this, I've had 4 different versions of DCT software installed on my car so far (2011 factory, December 2011, 12B37, and a newer version when I took it in Jan 2013.) Somebody is doing something, I'm just not quite sure what it is. It still hasn't removed the oil from my clutches or fixed my squeaking actuator.
Currently working in the industrial controls industry, I 100% agree. The "mechanicals" always think it's my software's issue, when it's typically a valve sticking or something of the sort. Therefore, if it's a broken actuator or a leaky seal, then of course that cannot be fixed with program updates. Those parts need replaced by the dealer.

I personally (to my knowledge) do not have hardware problems. So, I only notice the software issues, which is what I was commenting about above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #32
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott02 View Post
I actually purchased this car because it had the DCT transmission. I had one in California for a rental and really liked the DCT. As a general comment, I think the DCT actually functions quite nicely considering it IS a manual transmission, and also for how new the concept is.

Being 100% realistic, 50% of the manual transmission drivers I've driven with, drive more jerky than this DCT. Seriously... Think about that one.

I actually feel the DCT up and down shifts quite smoothly, and was also pleasantly surprised on how well it takes off from a stop in 1st gear.

However, that said, there are certain situations where things can go awry. For instance, when driving slowly (just above creeping) up a decent slope, say from a stop light. The programming makes it upshift to 2nd gear WAY too early, and the car starts jerking and lunging.

Is this the transmissions fault? Nope.
Is this the drivers fault? Nope. (but in hindsight, he/she could just simply press the accelerator pedal a little bit more like he/she would have to do in a manual car, and the car wouldn't try to upshift into 2nd)
Is it the Transmission Controller's programming fault? Yes, I do think so.

In my opinion, the majority (if not all) of the "issues" that people have with the DCT, could be fixed in the software.

So to me, this leaves two questions...
Why is Ford Engineers not working like crazy on updated software?
Why is NO ONE ELSE working on better software?
~~~If I had more time, I'd be all over this.

In the VW world many manufacturers flash the DSG Trans Controller for better performance, firming shifts, moving shift points, making it all around "better", etc.

If there is something sketchy or quirky with a car (or anything for that matter) it only takes someone with enough drive to fix it.
REF your quote below... I solved that problem by leaving the tranny in S mode when creeping... that pretty much eliminated the problems you are describing.. good luck.

However, that said, there are certain situations where things can go awry. For instance, when driving slowly (just above creeping) up a decent slope, say from a stop light. The programming makes it upshift to 2nd gear WAY too early, and the car starts jerking and lunging.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
REF your quote below... I solved that problem by leaving the tranny in S mode when creeping... that pretty much eliminated the problems you are describing.. good luck.
Oh, I do know that switching into S will drastically help the too quick upshift problem, but honestly, I do not think that the programming should be written in a manner that the operator needs to shift it into S, when he/she does not want to be in S mode.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #34
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by roswelltop View Post
Dear Ford,
Regarding your letter acknowledging the grinding, whining, clicking, clunking and other sounds of metal on metal, it is only fair that copies of this letter be clearly posted on EVERY new Focus with the 6 speed Power Shift Transmission.

I would think that the letter should be affixed next to the manufacturer's "window sticker" so that every potential customer can make an informed decision.

In other words Ford, this is nothing more, nothing less, than drug manufacturers do in posting the possible adverse affects to those who use their drugs right their on the bottle. And in your television advertising, you can run a little banner right there at the bottom of the screen.

What? It might decrease sales? I say poppycock! Despite being told that drugs will make users bleed, choke, cough, wheeze, poop, pee uncontrollably, vomit, forget stuff....and on and on, it makes NO difference. Prescription drug use is at an all time high. Heck, you might even sell more cars.....

Yours very truly,
The Average Joe
You're probably right. After all, our is a society that carries cups of hot coffee in its crotch, burns itself with said coffee, then sues the provider of said coffee for excessive hotness.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #35
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89751
What I Drive: 2011, charcoal,se focus

FF Reputation: 1 1940150 Good Standing Member
Or, what would have been wrong with the focus tranny they had? My 2011 shifts as smooth as cream, I get from 35 to as much as 45 MPG. Why fix what ain't broke????
Old 06-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #36
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940150 View Post
Or, what would have been wrong with the focus tranny they had? My 2011 shifts as smooth as cream, I get from 35 to as much as 45 MPG. Why fix what ain't broke????
Because the 4F27E was broken. It's wasn't very smooth or efficient. It had four widely spaced ratios so unless you could keep it in 4th gear with the torque converter locked it got terrible fuel economy, it also tended to shift all over the place with the lightest change of throttle application.

I was not fond of the sloppy transmission behavior of the 2009 and 2011 models I'd driven.

The DCT I owned operated properly and was so much nicer to drive than any MKII automatic.

A 4 speed is less efficient than a 6 speed, the only car in the class still using the old gearbox technology is the Corolla, and although they still sell well it's well behind being the best in class.

I did however end up with an ST because that was what I really wanted in the first place.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #37
njkphoto
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117005
What I Drive: 2013 Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 njkphoto Good Standing Member
New Car Saturday--Noise

Hello to all

I just bought my first 2013 Ford Focus SE (and ford in general) this Saturday. Love the style and drive. I am originally from Europe so I always wanted a fairly small stylish car. Now..That was Saturday..Drove the car from the dealer home with windows up. Didn't hear anything. When got close to home and turned down window I heard a regular grinding noise, rattle, (I am horrible explaining noises in English) going very slow and between 1-2. This is not happening all the time. I am suspecting it's the regular noise but because its not really bad I was thinking mounts, something loose..etc..I read the Ford Letter here but still I am thinking to call the dealer tomorrow morning and bitch..The car has 450 min..got it with 177miles on cause the had to bring me a black. I would say you hear it 2 times out of 5 maybe? If this was the DCT should be doing it all the time? Ford says the clutch needs to brake in..so is that BS should I wait?

Sorry for hijacking the thread..I just dint want to make a new one for this issue.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #38
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
I would wait until at least 1,000 miles before taking it to the dealer. Green clutches take a while to break in, and like the letter says, it can take up to 1k miles. Mine made the same noises until around that time, and I now have 2,100 on the car with zero issues.
Give it a few hundred more miles and see what happens. My car is a 2013 and from what I've experienced, they've fixed a lot of the problems that affected the 2012's, so after your inital break-in period, you should be fine :)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #39
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
I have 12,000 miles. They replaced my clutches/seals around 4,000 miles. It's been great since then, but if I rev high in the lower gears 1,2, or 3, the higher it revs, once it gets passed like 4,000 RPM, I start to hear a high-pitched grind, but as soon as I shift up it squeels again but then goes away. Is that normal/anyone else experiencing this? I have the DCT. Basically I don't hear any noises unless I rev high. It's not a loud grind/squeel but sounds like metal on metal for sure.
I wanna install my Injected tune but am thinking to take it in and have it checked by the dealer first?
opinions? thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
I have 12,000 miles. They replaced my clutches/seals around 4,000 miles. It's been great since then, but if I rev high in the lower gears 1,2, or 3, the higher it revs, once it gets passed like 4,000 RPM, I start to hear a high-pitched grind, but as soon as I shift up it squeels again but then goes away. Is that normal/anyone else experiencing this? I have the DCT. Basically I don't hear any noises unless I rev high. It's not a loud grind/squeel but sounds like metal on metal for sure.
I wanna install my Injected tune but am thinking to take it in and have it checked by the dealer first?
opinions? thanks.
Sure doesn't sound normal to me...but who knows what the dealer will tell you.

Before you do your "injected tune", be aware that this could compromise your factory warranty. There's another thread about this topic, but the bottom line is that Ford and other manufacturers are aware that aftermarket tunes are available that can be "undone" by owners before bringing the car in for service, and they have developed ways to determine if the tunes have ever been done.

Naturally, if Ford has any reason to presume the tune contributed to an otherwise-warrantable claim, they will likely deny coverage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->