TPS system gripes - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
jeff_nc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106534
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jeff_nc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TPS system gripes

I've had winter tires and wheels mounted on my 2013 Focus for about a month now and I am not happy about what I've learned about the tire pressure sensor operation.

First off, I park about 25 feet from where my summer wheels with sensors are stored. Furthermore, I mostly drive around my small village of Asheville, NC. Doing this, I am never notified of a tire pressure fault.

The whole reason I was excited about getting the TPS was my prior experience with low-profile tires on a Mazda Protege 5. On that car, I once had a front tire flat, and drove several miles with my only sensation being a slight steering wheel pull to the side. Only when other drivers pointed at my tire did I realize I had a flat. By that time, I had bent the wheel.

However, it seems like the TPS would not help me in the same scenario, as you have to drive about 20 miles before the sensor displays a fault. I took a trip to the coast recently, and indeed, started getting the warning beeps and display each time I started the car.

By the way, the warning changed over time. At first, it was beeps, then the low tire light and the "I" light on the dash were lit. Then, it changed to where I got a fault on the information screen and had to press the OK button on the steering wheel to clear it.

Now that I am back home, however, parking near my summer wheels has cleared the fault and I am back to no warnings. Time for Ford to rethink this thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That's how every manufacture except for Audi, and vw are I deal with diff tpms system on a daily basis at my job, all the different makes and models tpms system suck
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'sexclusiveZx3 View Post
That's how every manufacture except for Audi, and vw are I deal with diff tpms system on a daily basis at my job, all the different makes and models tpms system suck
They don't really "suck" if you take the time to calibrate them by training each sensor to the BCM individually. It's quite simple and only takes a few minutes. Most people (and dealership's for that matter as well) don't bother training the sensors and as long as the warning "light" goes out, that seems to be "good enough".
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_nc View Post
I've had winter tires and wheels mounted on my 2013 Focus for about a month now and I am not happy about what I've learned about the tire pressure sensor operation.

First off, I park about 25 feet from where my summer wheels with sensors are stored. Furthermore, I mostly drive around my small village of Asheville, NC. Doing this, I am never notified of a tire pressure fault.

The whole reason I was excited about getting the TPS was my prior experience with low-profile tires on a Mazda Protege 5. On that car, I once had a front tire flat, and drove several miles with my only sensation being a slight steering wheel pull to the side. Only when other drivers pointed at my tire did I realize I had a flat. By that time, I had bent the wheel.

However, it seems like the TPS would not help me in the same scenario, as you have to drive about 20 miles before the sensor displays a fault. I took a trip to the coast recently, and indeed, started getting the warning beeps and display each time I started the car.

By the way, the warning changed over time. At first, it was beeps, then the low tire light and the "I" light on the dash were lit. Then, it changed to where I got a fault on the information screen and had to press the OK button on the steering wheel to clear it.

Now that I am back home, however, parking near my summer wheels has cleared the fault and I am back to no warnings. Time for Ford to rethink this thing?
Really? It's Ford's fault that you park your car next to the wheels with the TPMS in it?

Either move the wheels so it doesn't affect the car readout, get TPMS in the winter wheels, or deal with it.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
cuke2u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87358
What I Drive: It's in my sig..

FF Reputation: 2 cuke2u Good Standing Member
HI, in Europe we have a different system on our Foci's for detecting deflation of a tyre and one that uses the abs system to read the rotation of a tyre, when a tyre deflates its rotational speed will change and then we get the warning. Thus it doesn't matter what size wheel you've got, or tyre for that matter, as once set any changes in the speed of the wheel results in a warning. I think that maybe, for some legal reasons, our system can't be used in your country. Here is Ford's take on it http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=28050
18" 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels
Manual 6-speed gearbox,,,
Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Part of your monthly inspection for your car is the tire pressure. This suggested by Ford and located in your manual: Page 383

Owner checks and services
Certain basic maintenance checks and inspections should be performed
by the owner or a service technician at the intervals indicated. Service
information and supporting specifications are provided in this owner’s
guide.
Any adverse condition should be brought to the attention of your dealer
or qualified service technician as soon as possible for the proper service
advice. The owner maintenance service checks are generally not covered
by warranties so you may be charged for labor, parts or fluids used.
Engine oil/coolant change intervals
Engine oil As indicated by the message center: do not
exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)
Engine coolant,
initial change
6 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km)
(whichever comes first)
Engine coolant, after
initial change
Every 3 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km)

Check every month
Engine oil level
Function of all interior and exterior lights
Tires for wear and proper pressure, including spare
Windshield washer fluid level

Check every six months
Battery connections; clean if necessary
Body and door drain holes for obstructions; clean if necessary
Cooling system fluid level and coolant strength
Door weatherstrips for wear; lubricate if necessary
Scheduled Maintenance

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Did you train the sensors? My extra set of wheels is right behind my garage and I've never had an issue since I've trained my new wheels with the Ford tpms remote thingy
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
Did you train the sensors? My extra set of wheels is right behind my garage and I've never had an issue since I've trained my new wheels with the Ford tpms remote thingy
From what I read on the forums here the sensors in the Focus are self learning. This would be backed up with my friend putting SE 16" wheels on his ST, and not having to do anything with the sensors. And he doesn't park near the other set of wheels either.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Benner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 77653
What I Drive: 2003 Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Benner Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
HI, in Europe we have a different system on our Foci's for detecting deflation of a tyre and one that uses the abs system to read the rotation of a tyre, when a tyre deflates its rotational speed will change and then we get the warning. Thus it doesn't matter what size wheel you've got, or tyre for that matter, as once set any changes in the speed of the wheel results in a warning. I think that maybe, for some legal reasons, our system can't be used in your country. Here is Ford's take on it http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=28050
No we have that system too. Its an older and less reliable system. Takes more of a psi drop to set the indicator off. And if all the tires slowly leak theres never an indicator.

To the OP. Take your car and get the TPMS sensors recalibrated to the car. It'll help a ton. Do it everyday at work and makes a ton of difference.

AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR TIRES!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I've never had a car with TPMS and just recently the light came on and sure enough all the tires were a bit low but I don't think the sensor was tripped til one of them went below 26psi.

Bookmarks & Social Networks