To all the Ti to ST converters... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To all the Ti to ST converters...

I am curious to know what made you make the switch from a Ti to an St. I know some things are obvious...the ecoboost engine perhaps and the 6MT. However, other than those two things (and maybe the Recaro seats), I can't think of any other reason why one would make the switch. In my case, I purchased a 5MT Ti hatch about four months ago for 21.5K. Are the engine, 6MT and recaro seats that much better? I guess if I had paid 27 - 28 K for my car, I think I would be thinking differently. By the way, my car is not a base Ti: It has the upgraded suspension and tires (18" summer tires, stiffer suspension), and the premium package (leather seats, power driver seats). It does not have navigation or the winter package (I am in Florida so but wup about that).

I've never owned a sports car so maybe I just don't know what it means to drive a hot hatch.

Comments are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
160 hp vs. 252 hp need I say more.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

The ecoboost engine is definitely a strong selling point.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Ti=fuel e efficient fun
St=powerful fun

From what I've noticed at least
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Are the engine, 6MT and recaro seats that much better? I guess if I had paid 27 - 28 K for my car, I think I would be thinking differently.
Maybe they are? I paid $26.5k for my car because there were no incentives when I got it. I'm trying to be an adult I commute 100 miles a day, so I couldn't justify trading it in and buying another new car. Although my limping clutch in a 1.5 year old car is annoying as hell, it's not worth another $5k in debt to me. If that were the sole reason for trading it in, I could have the clutch replaced twice for the same amount of money.

Also, I'll be damned if Ford gets me to buy another new car from them.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Maybe they are? I paid $26.5k for my car because there were no incentives when I got it. I'm trying to be an adult I commute 100 miles a day, so I couldn't justify trading it in and buying another new car. Although my limping clutch in a 1.5 year old car is annoying as hell, it's not worth another $5k in debt to me. If that were the sole reason for trading it in, I could have the clutch replaced twice for the same amount of money.

Also, I'll be damned if Ford gets me to buy another new car from them.
Ouch!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
160 hp vs. 252 hp need I say more.
Pretty much. I wouldn't get the recaros though. I sat in a ST2 and it was like blocks of wood digging into my shoulder blades. After a min of sitting in it I didn't even want to drive it. My back is way too wide to be comfortable in it past the 5 min ride to work.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Naturally, the power is one of the reasons I love the switch, but it actually wasn't my primary reason for doing it.

What I liked about the Ti and didn't want to give up: Nice looking 18" wheels and tight suspension, and secondarily the dark headlights.

What I wanted rid of: DCT & MFT.

There was no way to downgrade to a loaded SE & still get big wheels. I don't like the shiny 17s they put on the SE. The only way for me to keep the big wheels & upgraded suspension and get away from the MFT was to go with an ST1. A 5-speed Ti would've gotten me halfway there, but there was no point in paying to make the change and only getting 1/2 of what I want. I even caved on my 1st & second color choices (White & Silver) to make the change, so that's how bad I wanted out.

I loved everything else about my Ti, and in fact really miss those seats...but that was a compromise I was willing to make. The ST1 seats are basically the same frame, but the leather looked so much better. But that's something I can fix by throwing money at it later.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
I sat in an ST2 while visiting my dealer recently. My service manager owns one and personally grabbed the keys to the one parked out front of the dealership and let me sit in it and start it up. I knew better than to test drive it. I think my Ti is zippy. NOt FAST like an ST by any means but zippy and more than overkill for the typical slow drivers we have around here on a daily basis.

I have read that many did not like the Recaro's. It was either you hated em or loved em. Well I agree they don't feel as nice as my Ti seats. Those seem to fit my back perfectly and the Recaro's would dig in a little bit where you felt like you weren't actually flat against the back of the seat. I certainly felt like I could take a corner though and not budge which is probably the intention of such supportive seats like that. I"m sure I could get used to them. The Clutch and the reach of the Stick was Pefect. The throws would be very 2nd nature and not require you to feel like you had to reach forward out of the seat to get to the gears. Just set your elbow down on the arm rest and row through the gears with ease.

WHat appeals to me the most about the ST is the Power, Looks and unique aspect of it. Around here lately there are a million FOFO's on the road.

Last edited by Dysan911; 01-22-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I drove a couple of ST2s and, while I'm not the skinniest guy on earth, I'm not obese by any stretch, but the lateral supports squeezed me too tightly. My ribcage pushed against them when I took a deep breath, and it was borderline claustrophobic for me.

Then I drove an ST1 and I felt like I was driving my Ti. Would love to have them re-skinned in the Ti leather, or just replace all the seats completely. ($$$ )

Bookmarks & Social Networks