DRL to Fogs - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Skippy905
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84128
What I Drive: 2006 Honda Pilot

FF Reputation: 2 Skippy905 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
Splicing and switching the wiring is the old way of doing things. Our cars computers are advanced enough that they could just send the power there. I'm sure there is a way of doing it. We really need to get some Ford service techs on here...
On my Pilot it was one simple switch of wiring to change my DRL's down to my fogs. It may have been the old way, but it was very effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
LiamSRi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87832
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - Orange

FF Reputation: 1 LiamSRi Good Standing Member
This is what I'm trying to do at the moment. There is no way for ford to make fog lights as drl's. Had it out with the techies and the head office. Now the only way I can see doing it is buying a drl switch kit (on with ignition then turn off with headlights) and wiring it to the switched live of the relay for the fog lights. Hence it just switching on as if the button was pressed and still have the functionality of the fogs when you need them. But I'm sure the car will recognise something is switched on and throw it up as a fault.

I've also looked into the led bulbs, 64 smd's, they will give out adequate light for a drl but would be utterly useless in foggy conditions. The beam pattern gets screwed up with led fog bulbs.

Now ford uk have said any alteration of electrical components will void warranty.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
mcdiv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94558
What I Drive: 2012 titanium, kona blue

FF Reputation: 1 mcdiv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Has anyone figured out how to do this? I would really prefer to have my fogs as my DRLs.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbot45 View Post
I doubt this can be solved by wiring. Remember the lights are all controlled by a module that can be re-programmed. I did exactly this with my Jetta. I used the VAG-COM and had to switch a bit in one of the control modules. My DRL's then went from my low beams to my fogs.

If you can find a willing tech at a Ford dealer; maybe they can search the modules and change the coding?
on my 2000 Cabrio we had before the Focus, I had Vag-Com (just used it to reset the ever returning "secondary Air Injection System Fault") I just ordered the Euro Headlight Switch, got a wiring Diagram and Disconnected the DRL (were in the Low beams "lenses smoked quicker") Had Off, Park, On options, and rewired the tails to the Correct Sequence (from out to in " Stop, Tail, Fog") sooooo much better.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
on my 2000 Cabrio we had before the Focus, I had Vag-Com (just used it to reset the ever returning "secondary Air Injection System Fault") I just ordered the Euro Headlight Switch, got a wiring Diagram and Disconnected the DRL (were in the Low beams "lenses smoked quicker") Had Off, Park, On options, and rewired the tails to the Correct Sequence (from out to in " Stop, Tail, Fog") sooooo much better.
i had my local tuner guy do it for me.. (did it on my zx3 focus too).. Took about an hour or so to install a toggle switch on the dash under the light switch (very discrete) and wire up the whole thing... now fogs come on on start up just like reg. drls.. i can turn them off if i wish w/ the toggle switch.

I had the factory drls turned on when i bought the car but hated that ALL the lights on the car were on ALL the time.. so had them deactivated.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
RAF_S197
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91991
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford white Sport Black Pack

FF Reputation: 21 RAF_S197 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Is there anyway to change the DRL's from the low beam headlights to the amber marker lights in the headlights?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Im not good with electrical things nor auto wiring so i took my car to a local tuner shop i trusted and they did the work for me. My fogs ( which i never use as we dont get fog here but once or twice a year) are now my drls. The tuner guy rigged them so i now have a discrete rocker switch on the dash under the oem light switch so i can still turn the fogs on or off at will. Left in the 'on' position the fogs light up and go out when starting or shutting off the engine. I then had my dealer disable the factory drls.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
CeeBee
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101389
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Ti 5-Door 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 CeeBee Good Standing Member
I did this on my 2000 VW Passat and Toyota Yaris to match the Audi DRL config... DRLs are amber parking lights and fogs. No special dash switches were required, no functions were lost and it was all taken care of by wiring in a couple of cheap automotive relays and diodes.

If I had the wiring schematics for the car I could figure it out, but I don't.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
I did this on my 2000 VW Passat and Toyota Yaris to match the Audi DRL config... DRLs are amber parking lights and fogs. No special dash switches were required, no functions were lost and it was all taken care of by wiring in a couple of cheap automotive relays and diodes.

If I had the wiring schematics for the car I could figure it out, but I don't.
On my 2000 VW cabrio, i just got the Euro switch, rewired the taillights to the Euro Config, and eliminated the DRL's with the Euro Switch, you have more options Off, Park, ON.... so much better. and it had provision for rear Fog, which I also wired up.
http://www.rebeldevil.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->