Block Heater Question - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
JMD787
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91481
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 JMD787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
After being plugged in for 3 hours put your bare hand on the valve cover it should be slightly warm and your temp gauge should be close to the middle, maybe at the lower range of the normal operating temp window. If not I'd have the dealer replace it under warranty.

After a 3 hour plug in mine pumps out heat very quickly after starting the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD787 View Post
After a 3 hour plug in mine pumps out heat very quickly after starting the engine.
It is mornings like today's that I wish I would have purchased that option!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
It is mornings like today's that I wish I would have purchased that option!
The block heater was only $25, but it as also listed as a fleet only option in the order guide, so I'm not sure how easily it would have been to get your dealer to have found a car configured the way you wanted with the heater also vs having to spend extra and get it installed after the car is built.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
detonator555
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93875
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan, Candy Red

FF Reputation: 1 detonator555 Good Standing Member
+1 for full synthetic. I didn't even plug mine in last night (oops...forgot) at -25 c, and it started fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
-25 and started fine. Just turned over an extra revolution or two

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
Only thing I have noticed when it gets down that cold is that sometimes the active grilles make some god awful squeal when they cycle open then closed. On another note (and sorry to derail post) do you notice if your shutters close all the way after you start it up and its that cold. Mine cycle properly (all open, then close) but then they open up a quarter inch.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaToX View Post
Only thing I have noticed when it gets down that cold is that sometimes the active grilles make some god awful squeal when they cycle open then closed. On another note (and sorry to derail post) do you notice if your shutters close all the way after you start it up and its that cold. Mine cycle properly (all open, then close) but then they open up a quarter inch.
I thought I read that the louvres don't fully close when you have the windshield defrost on? When it's cold, my car squeaks (for 1/2 a second or something) when I turn on the windshield defrost on. I never checked if it was the AGS or the blender door, though.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
Quantos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100622
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Sedan Focus Man.

FF Reputation: 1 Quantos Good Standing Member
o.O

I don't see a plugged car having troubles starting! Mine doesn't have a block heater, and started correctly these past few days. Now granted, it's not as smooth as usual, but I never get a feeling that it won't start at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
Well update from me: It's -40c here (-49 with the windchill).

I've been leaving the car plugged in overnight. I don't bother with a timer because I've had my 2 extension cords and timers stolen. So I just bought a cheaper cord with a light in it. It's actually so cold that the plastic covering over the cord shattered today when I pulled to unplug it. Once again I'll be off to the shop to buy a new cord.

The temperature gauge is all the way cold and it take 15-20 minutes to reach normal operating temperature.

My suspension is squealing loudly over even small bumps, it's like my tires have dog squeaky toys on them it's insanely loud. I can't identify the squeak's location, but am assuming it's suspension.

Car is at the dealer this morning, I'm almost certain the block heater isn't working since the car wouldn't start this morning. As an added bonus the trunk latch doesn't work in the cold either. It froze in the open position when I popped it to go get my snowbrush.

The first time I plugged in my car when I started it the temp gauge was around 15% after a night outside at -20. Since then it's been all the way cold.

Hopefully the dealer has good news for me. I asked the dealer if I could go for a lower viscosity oil, they said no.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
And as for that god awful squeal noise when first starting I thought it was my belts, at these temperatures it lasts around 80-90 seconds.

Bookmarks & Social Networks