2000 focus wheel bearing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
rbianca87
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108508
What I Drive: 2000 red SE

FF Reputation: 1 rbianca87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 focus wheel bearing

Hi I have a 2000 ford focus se. I need me rear wheel bearings. Would it be easier to replace the whole drum? Or the hub assembly? Also if I have abs is there anything important I need to know before replacing them? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Yea its 10x easier to change the drum, also check your brake shoes when they're off, other than that its pretty easy
Still here!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
rbianca87
Focus Rookie

New*
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
rbianca87
Focus Rookie

Thanks! I'll look into doing that. Are there any how to videos? I have a Haynes manual would that take me through the whole process? I'm new to this lol
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The problem replacing the drums alone or the hub assembly without replacing the drums is that you have a 200 ft-lb nut to remove in order to get the drum off of the hub. If you have a long "cheater" bar, this is not much of a problem. The bigger problem is re-torquing that nut- now I am personally not afraid of over torquing something that needs to be torqued over 150 ft-lbs, especially in a position like this where the massive amount of torque is spec'd for the simple reason of insuring the nut is completely tightened.

If you remove the hub from the rear, then you only need to loosen 4 35 ft-lb bolts that hold the hub to the back plate. Now, if you choose to remove it that way, you must then loosen the 200 ft-lb nut off the vehicle- this is not easy, so remember to loosen the nut before you remove the hub from the vehicle.

If you are replacing the hub and drum at the same time, this is more expensive, but you can simply unbolt the old hub/drum, and bolt in the new one. You will still have to use a cheater bar to tighten down the nut on the new hub/drum to 200 ft-lbs, but that's it.

I would also recommend having some brake parts grease handy, and possibly shoes and a drum brake rebuild kit. That way you can replace the shoes and rebuild the drum brake assembly while you're in there. It is VERY wise to purchase the drum brake spring tool for $5. This is a $5 tool that can save you thousands in dental work because most people who do drum brake jobs with pliers end up chipping or breaking teeth out eventually.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
curtisparker82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108061
What I Drive: 2002 black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 curtisparker82 Good Standing Member
the rear wheel bearing is in the drum....i know you can get them from napa as a set...you'll need a 29-30 mm socket for the drum nut and a slide hammer to take the drums off...take pics so you know how it goes back together
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
A pair of dikes works amazing for drum brake springs. And if your looking for a tool that works like a "spring tool", a long flathead screwdriver works the same way.

Bookmarks & Social Networks