My '12 SE Picture/Project Thread - Page 55 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #541
Glockboy98
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97799
What I Drive: 2012 blue candy SE.

Points 323, Level 6
Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Glockboy98 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
These things are great. The girlfriend bought me one for Christmas. Impressed so far and i'm Pinching pennies to get the stealth exhaust. Driving with it is fun. The car is louder, which isn't a bad thing, and maybe it'll save me some cash on gas...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #542
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 21,629, Level 92
Points: 21,629, Level: 92 Points: 21,629, Level: 92 Points: 21,629, Level: 92
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Mods, can this be moved back to the showroom?
SR#74/SMk3C#17/YBOC#03
Bill M.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #543
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 124,710, Level 100
Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That should have fixed it!
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #544
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107778
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Focus S

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 scada Good Standing Member
Just finished reading thru all the posts. Thank you for all of the details. Gives me a lot of ideas on what to do to my silver sedan.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #545
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Hehehe.. unless you're pretty liberal with the pedal, trust me, this AI can very much be heard from the cabin.

In the summer when the bay gets full of hot air, the engine makes the sexiest f---ng noise you can imagine for 4-5 seconds until all that hot air is flushed... You'd swear you're driving a WRX STi
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #546
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Points 21,629, Level 92
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
I liking the subtle roar at lower RPMs, and then at 3500-4000 it really gets loud.

I will try a small isolator on one of the heatshield mounts though; a nut is right on metal of the engine bay and I suspect it's the cause of an infrequent rattle when the pedal is pushed harder. A small rubber washer should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scada View Post
Just finished reading thru all the posts. Thank you for all of the details. Gives me a lot of ideas on what to do to my silver sedan.
No problem, thanks for reading it all!
SR#74/SMk3C#17/YBOC#03
Bill M.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #547
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Points 21,629, Level 92
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Intake part II:

Tonight I picked up a couple of parts and updated the intake a little. The assembly now consists of the FSWERKS heatshield, a K&N filter, and a K&N prefilter.

The reason for the filter swap was due to availability of the oils for the two filters; I can easily get (and have) K&N re-oiling supplies whereas I didn't know if I could get the specific supplies for FSWERKS' filter. Plus I have experience with this brand and like their products.

The prefilter had to go on for winter as the intake's location puts the filter in the path of dirt and water being sprayed on the front of the car.

I have no actual complaints with the original filter though, just to be clear. This is more about personal preference and making maintenance easier for myself.
SR#74/SMk3C#17/YBOC#03
Bill M.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #548
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Points 21,629, Level 92
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
An important note for Mk3 owners with intakes:

As my last post showed, I swapped in a new K&N filter a few days ago. Well, the next evening trouble popped up. I noticed when driving that night that the engine note was a little different. It wasn't by much, but I was able to pick up on it. Shortly after, the CEL suddenly came on. I was just coming up on a gas station so I pulled in and popped the hood. The problem was easy to spot; the filter had fallen off!

I reinstalled it and finished the short drive back to my house, after which I promptly swapped back to the ITG filter. I figured the K&N just wasn't gripping the MAF sensor housing enough and wiggled loose. I left the car like that to come back later and check for dirt in the intake tract.

This morning I pulled it apart to check inside the intake pipe and throttle body, hoping that the dislodged filter hadn't allowed anything troublesome in. That all looked good fortunately, but I found the potential culprit for the issue.

That is the OEM MAF sensor housing, which the FSWERKS intake uses. Note the nice bend in the foreground; it would seem that using a clamp on this can cause the plastic to crush slightly under the pressure. It's relatively thin and from the factory the filter merely sits on it without being tightened down.

For the time being the filter still seals and the Focus is back together; the CEL has to be cleared still though. A replacement housing will be on its way soon.

If there is good news to come out of this, it's that there's potential for a machined metal sleeve to be made, to fit inside the plastic housing and prevent this from happening with aftermarket filters; Sonic's Mk3 Crew is always looking to stay one step ahead.
SR#74/SMk3C#17/YBOC#03
Bill M.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #549
87astro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106795
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE

Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 87astro Good Standing Member
How and where do we go about getting one of those machined metal sleeves you speak of?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #550
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
An important note for Mk3 owners with intakes:

As my last post showed, I swapped in a new K&N filter a few days ago. Well, the next evening trouble popped up. I noticed when driving that night that the engine note was a little different. It wasn't by much, but I was able to pick up on it. Shortly after, the CEL suddenly came on. I was just coming up on a gas station so I pulled in and popped the hood. The problem was easy to spot; the filter had fallen off!

I reinstalled it and finished the short drive back to my house, after which I promptly swapped back to the ITG filter. I figured the K&N just wasn't gripping the MAF sensor housing enough and wiggled loose. I left the car like that to come back later and check for dirt in the intake tract.

This morning I pulled it apart to check inside the intake pipe and throttle body, hoping that the dislodged filter hadn't allowed anything troublesome in. That all looked good fortunately, but I found the potential culprit for the issue.

That is the OEM MAF sensor housing, which the FSWERKS intake uses. Note the nice bend in the foreground; it would seem that using a clamp on this can cause the plastic to crush slightly under the pressure. It's relatively thin and from the factory the filter merely sits on it without being tightened down.

For the time being the filter still seals and the Focus is back together; the CEL has to be cleared still though. A replacement housing will be on its way soon.

If there is good news to come out of this, it's that there's potential for a machined metal sleeve to be made, to fit inside the plastic housing and prevent this from happening with aftermarket filters; Sonic's Mk3 Crew is always looking to stay one step ahead.
That ID is already the chokepoint in the air tract leading to the throttle plate. IMHO, you don't want to put anything in there that will reduce that ID. A solution to this particular problem is the bracket that Mike(Shade-010) made, which keeps the filter bottomed out on whatever housing it is sitting on. Or, attach(superglue) a thin band of rubber to the outside of the OD, which would give the filter hose clamp something a bit softer to grip, while also increasing the OD just enough to make it tighter to the filter ID.

I really want one of Steeda's aluminum MAF's, but I want to adapt it to my closed airbox also. Someday....
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.