Tell me why I should get a Focus & what to expect - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
^ all this...

Get an +05 zx3/4/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Find a nice SVTF and call it a day
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
06_infrared_zx4
Teddy_Ruxbin

Fan#: 91369
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 4 06_infrared_zx4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
05-07 Focis have "lifetime" air filters. This isn't as great as it sounds. Most of us remove the lifetime filter and replace it with an aftermarket CAI filter.
Mine was replaced by a FSWerks Cool-Flo within the first 3 months of ownership.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Why get a Focus?

I have an 05. I used to purchase nothing but used cars because I could fix those cars. I've had this car for 7 years. I have not had to do one major repair yet. I have replaced shocks and struts, and at 60k miles I replaced the brakes with an SVT brake kit- but I still had more than enough pad on there. Most of the problems with these cars are simple. Although I would personally not like the weak brakes of the 00-04 Focis. SVT brake kits can still be purchased for about $900, and you might be able to locate used parts for less. I highly recommend this even though you'll need 17" wheels. My car can out stop Corvettes. I have to be careful who is behind me in case I have to slam on the brakes.

I finally have a chance to repair the car because it has "tumble flap" problems which might be something you could run into when looking at 05+ Focis. It could actually save you some money on the car because typically people think it's valve noise or injector noise. It won't really hurt the car, but it sounds like the engine is coming apart. You could talk down an owner over that. Believe me, the dealers will certainly not give them much for it on trade in. It costs about $300 in parts to repair, you need a new intake manifold. You can save some money if you can find someone with a good used manifold.

The way to tell the difference is to use the mechanic's stethoscope trick. Listen to the valve cover. If the valve cover is silent- then listen to the intake manifold, you should hear your rapping sound there. I wouldn't tell a seller that, but at least you know that the car is not going to self destruct as a result of this noise. I drove mine for 50k miles with horrendous tumble flap noise. Very soon I'll be doing a How-To on replacing the intake manifold. There is already a How-To on removing the tumble flaps entirely- however this reduces low end torque, and makes the car less fun to drive.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
autolite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have A 2006 129,000 miles only issue is the front sway bar endlinks clunk going over bumps easy and cheap to replace them.Bonus in the Duratec is there a timing chain not a timing belt.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
06_infrared_zx4
Teddy_Ruxbin

Fan#: 91369
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 4 06_infrared_zx4 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolite View Post
I have A 2006 129,000 miles only issue is the front sway bar endlinks clunk going over bumps easy and cheap to replace them.Bonus in the Duratec is there a timing chain not a timing belt.
Mine does this even tho the endlinks are new. Just because of the FRPP suspension. Need adjustable ones. Not gonna worry about those until the k-sport coilovers get installed though.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49029
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX3 SAP

FF Reputation: 4 Marbs Good Standing Member
I have an 06 and my only problem was my crank shaft pulley going out on me. Never had a problem otherwise, 78K on the clock.
2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->