Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters) - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #31
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I forgot to check to see if the shutters were closed tonight, but in the 9.8 or so miles the car only increased in temperature from 14 C to 92 peak (dropping to 88 C getting off of the freeway and coming off the ramp, heating back up to about 90C by the time I parked the car.

The gauge reads about half (Hex 41 any point above 40-45C) but below that it does tend to climb semi normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #32
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
It depends on where or how you drive, I don't have a scan gauge, but I do have the AGS and if you put the car into test mode (hold down the left OK button on the steering wheel from before the car starts until after the computer boots up and says TEST and scroll up or down you'll see various test parameters including the actual temperature sensor reading in degrees C.

The standard gauge is basically an idiot light for the most part reading normal before the car has even heated above 50C, normal operating temperature is nearer to 90-97C depending on conditions. I haven't timed the warm up, but the car can go from 14 or 21C up to around 60 + C in just a mile or so in town at slow speeds and getting stuck at lights, e.x. stopping for lunch during the work day, the car cools down to 50ish c and then heats back up to maybe 70ish on the return mile depending on how long you take to get back out.

The AGS doesn't seem to work for me visibly unless its really cold and I've commanded maximum heating performance (max defrost), or rather it didhn't start to become noticeably effective until winter. During the summer months or with the a/c on in the fall I did not see the shutters completely closed.

This doesn't mean they weren't working or that they are broken, they could have been partially closed while driving along, however when the car was parked each time I went to look through the lower grille (the one that is easier to see the shutters in) was wide open.

The top and bottom grille shutters are linked to a single motor and temperature sensor as far as I know.
Latelly mine are almost always 100% closed. Canadian winter + short route to work.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #33
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermax View Post
Latelly mine are almost always 100% closed. Canadian winter + short route to work.
I've seen them stay closed over 10+ miles lately in winter, but during the summer I almost never saw them even slightly move, doesn't mean they hadn't run calibration tests or to have been partially closed while driving but opening again when the car gets warm on a warm day.

Of course on 40+F days I've seen the shutters close when it was 20-30ish in the morning and then open up on the way to grab lunch even after only 1.3 miles or so.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #34
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
More data...
So i decided, in a temporary fashion, to completely block off the 3 black openings below the license plate and the one body color opening that is the furthest down on the bumper itself. I then took it for a test drive on some 45mph rural roads, and then 20min on a 65mph highway, and this is what I found...

Outside temp was between 45degF and 50degF, the car still did not hit operating temp "fast".
On my 20min highway drive, it still only reached operating temp when i got to my destination.
I never saw anything above 200degF on my scangauge.
The radiator fan did not turn on.

When time permits, I will be blocking off even more of the grille openings to see what happens.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Not sure Kysor shutters or taping off grille openings will have anything to do with how quickly the car warms up.

Until coolant in the engine reaches a "normal" temperature the thermostat is closed, preventing the warmed coolant from circulating through the radiator. So while closed shutters reduce drag, preventing air from flowing over stagnant, ambient temperature coolant in the radiator shouldn't speed warm-up. I suppose closed shutters would increase underhood air temps a bit, that really shouldn't affect warm-up times in any significant way.

Bookmarks & Social Networks