My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3* - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
mishka
Focus Addict
 
mishka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107408
Location: Germantown, MD
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Posts: 975
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3*

Hey all, so here's the situation of what happened.
I was going uphill, and I was in sport mode. Once I got to about the top of the hill I put it in Drive. After that on the way down the hill, it auto-shifted down (rpm increased), instead of up, which I thought was weird cause it usually shifts up on downhills. Anyways I noticed that happen, and then I was preparing to turn right at the bottom of the hill, so I flipped my turn signal. It was then that I noticed the main screen said "Transmission not in Park", and all of the gauges read 0 as if the car was off. I check the stick and it was in Drive still. I then check the key and it was in the "off" position... So I had to really quickly just start the car because I had the turn coming up at the bottom of the hill. All I know is, i'm 99% sure it stalled out randomly while driving because all the signs of that happening were there. I was told that the DCT cannot stall out, and you can't damage the car because the car will auto-shift before you can. Anyways, I don't think I did anything wrong, and the car randomly stalled out.
As a background, I'v got 2,200 miles on it since I got it on Dec. 14, 2012, and I've been driving it pretty hard. I haven't done the 1st oil change yet.

Please respond if you've had similar issue or if anyone knows whats up. Thanks.


__________________
~ Shadowfax ~
mishka is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks
 
Joeywhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85247
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Posts: 2,712
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well, the transmission can't stall because it's a gearbox, and they don't do that...

The key can't be in the "off" position unless the gear selector is in park. You also can't restart the car unless it's in park (or neutral). Also, the key doesn't move by itself, something moved it if it was indeed in the off position.
__________________
Hatch Nation #29
Joeywhat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
mishka
Focus Addict
 
mishka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107408
Location: Germantown, MD
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Posts: 975
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's honestly what happened. The car turned off while driving around 20-25 mph downhill. It said "transmission not in park" and all the gauges read 0 and the meters were down at the bottom. The key was in the off position. I had to turn the key all the way and turn it back on, and it instantly turned on as if nothing happened.
__________________
~ Shadowfax ~
mishka is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
mikebontoft
Toxx
 
mikebontoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Fan#: 58647
Location: SLC, UT
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Posts: 26,026
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
does it have kind of a permanent key? just curious. I thought it was just a push button.

key won't move on it's own though. it had to have been bumped.
__________________
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
mikebontoft is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
mishka
Focus Addict
 
mishka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107408
Location: Germantown, MD
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Posts: 975
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
no push button. just normaly key and spare key. as a side note, the spare key was the one in the car at the time, however they are both set to admin key so they are the same.
__________________
~ Shadowfax ~
mishka is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast
 
felixdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105655
Location: London, ON, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

Posts: 84
FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Hey all, so here's the situation of what happened.
I was going uphill, and I was in sport mode. Once I got to about the top of the hill I put it in Drive. After that on the way down the hill, it auto-shifted down (rpm increased), instead of up, which I thought was weird cause it usually shifts up on downhills. Anyways I noticed that happen, and then I was preparing to turn right at the bottom of the hill, so I flipped my turn signal. It was then that I noticed the main screen said "Transmission not in Park", and all of the gauges read 0 as if the car was off. I check the stick and it was in Drive still. I then check the key and it was in the "off" position... So I had to really quickly just start the car because I had the turn coming up at the bottom of the hill. All I know is, i'm 99% sure it stalled out randomly while driving because all the signs of that happening were there. I was told that the DCT cannot stall out, and you can't damage the car because the car will auto-shift before you can. Anyways, I don't think I did anything wrong, and the car randomly stalled out.
As a background, I'v got 2,200 miles on it since I got it on Dec. 14, 2012, and I've been driving it pretty hard. I haven't done the 1st oil change yet.

Please respond if you've had similar issue or if anyone knows whats up. Thanks.
Sounds like the computer got confused and decided to shut off. I think when they say that the dct can't stall, what they mean is that the system will automatically downshift to prevent being in too high a gear and not have enough RPMs

When you say that the keys were in the "off" position, do you mean that you had to turn the key to start the car again? When you did, did you feel the interval "clicks" as the key got into the "ACC" then "ON" positions? I ask because its a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car; rather, it's a spring-loaded mechanism where the key will spring back to the "ON" position.

If you didn't feel the bumps when you restarted the car, then it was probably in the ON position.
felixdd is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
mishka
Focus Addict
 
mishka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107408
Location: Germantown, MD
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Posts: 975
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdd View Post
Sounds like the computer got confused and decided to shut off. I think when they say that the dct can't stall, what they mean is that the system will automatically downshift to prevent being in too high a gear and not have enough RPMs

When you say that the keys were in the "off" position, do you mean that you had to turn the key to start the car again? When you did, did you feel the interval "clicks" as the key got into the "ACC" then "ON" positions? I ask because its a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car; rather, it's a spring-loaded mechanism where the key will spring back to the "ON" position.

If you didn't feel the bumps when you restarted the car, then it was probably in the ON position.
Yes, I had to turn the key all the way to start the car again. I'm not sure If I felt the interval clicks, because I had to react really quickly because the car was going down a hill and I had to stop. I don't know what you mean when you say the it's "a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car" . That doesn't make any sense to me.
The engine definitely turned off. (I know because, like I said before, all the gauges/meters 0'd out and it said "transmission not in P" - and that is exactly what it says if you turn the engine off and put in in Neutral or any other gear but drive.) That's all I can say. When I turned the key all the way to restart it, I never heard it "turn over", instead, all the gauges and computer screens just went back to normal instantly as if nothing ever happened.
__________________
~ Shadowfax ~
mishka is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx
 
mikebontoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Fan#: 58647
Location: SLC, UT
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Posts: 26,026
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
He means that some people think the key stays in the "start" position rather than "ON"

there's no motor for the key or anything like that. If the vehicle is in motion, turning it back to the "on" position will do exactly as you have described- just make it back to normal.

My point is, it still had to have been bumped. Do you have a lot of keys on a keychain?

Otherwise I may suggest an exorcist.
__________________
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
mikebontoft is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
mishka
Focus Addict
 
mishka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107408
Location: Germantown, MD
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Posts: 975
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
He means that some people think the key stays in the "start" position rather than "ON"

there's no motor for the key or anything like that. If the vehicle is in motion, turning it back to the "on" position will do exactly as you have described- just make it back to normal.

My point is, it still had to have been bumped. Do you have a lot of keys on a keychain?

Otherwise I may suggest an exorcist.
Haha well I do drive like a demon >;) Actually I was using the spare key at the time (just left the carwash and had given them the spare key), which had nothing on it - just 1 lonely key. So there was nothing to bump. The thought actually crossed my mind that maybe I bumped the key, but, I didn't.
I didn't even feel the car stall or anything really, granted I was going downhill and was playing music fairly loud. All I know is I saw the screen say that which I already described, and the rest of symptoms I described.
But you are correct about what happened when the car "restarted", it just looked back to normal.
__________________
~ Shadowfax ~
mishka is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI
 
whynotthinkwhynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 18416
Location: the armpit of TN, Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Posts: 20,128
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Gremlins in the dash turned the key off while you were driving. Bug bomb the car, that makes them drunk, and then maybe they will only chew up the owner's manual (nobody uses it anyway).

Seriously, it's probably an isolated incident that will never happen again. Maybe the key was halfway between ON and ACC, and some bump or something caused it to back up to ACC and turn the engine off while you were driving. The thing is- the key was off, that's why the engine was off. Thank goodness you're in a DCT and not an earlier AT which wouldn't allow you to crank the engine while in D. That's something I noticed in reading your description. If it ever happens again, you can have the transmission looked at all you want to, but there won't be any problems there. The problem will be in the lock cylinder or the ignition switch.
__________________
Be eclectic.
---The Complete How-To Archive--

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
whynotthinkwhynot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.