My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3* - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Points 2,288, Level 28
Points: 2,288, Level: 28 Points: 2,288, Level: 28 Points: 2,288, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3*

Hey all, so here's the situation of what happened.
I was going uphill, and I was in sport mode. Once I got to about the top of the hill I put it in Drive. After that on the way down the hill, it auto-shifted down (rpm increased), instead of up, which I thought was weird cause it usually shifts up on downhills. Anyways I noticed that happen, and then I was preparing to turn right at the bottom of the hill, so I flipped my turn signal. It was then that I noticed the main screen said "Transmission not in Park", and all of the gauges read 0 as if the car was off. I check the stick and it was in Drive still. I then check the key and it was in the "off" position... So I had to really quickly just start the car because I had the turn coming up at the bottom of the hill. All I know is, i'm 99% sure it stalled out randomly while driving because all the signs of that happening were there. I was told that the DCT cannot stall out, and you can't damage the car because the car will auto-shift before you can. Anyways, I don't think I did anything wrong, and the car randomly stalled out.
As a background, I'v got 2,200 miles on it since I got it on Dec. 14, 2012, and I've been driving it pretty hard. I haven't done the 1st oil change yet.

Please respond if you've had similar issue or if anyone knows whats up. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,755, Level 59
Points: 7,755, Level: 59 Points: 7,755, Level: 59 Points: 7,755, Level: 59
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well, the transmission can't stall because it's a gearbox, and they don't do that...

The key can't be in the "off" position unless the gear selector is in park. You also can't restart the car unless it's in park (or neutral). Also, the key doesn't move by itself, something moved it if it was indeed in the off position.
Hatch Nation #29
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
mishka
Focus Addict

Points 2,288, Level 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
That's honestly what happened. The car turned off while driving around 20-25 mph downhill. It said "transmission not in park" and all the gauges read 0 and the meters were down at the bottom. The key was in the off position. I had to turn the key all the way and turn it back on, and it instantly turned on as if nothing happened.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,538, Level 94
Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
does it have kind of a permanent key? just curious. I thought it was just a push button.

key won't move on it's own though. it had to have been bumped.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
mishka
Focus Addict

Points 2,288, Level 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
no push button. just normaly key and spare key. as a side note, the spare key was the one in the car at the time, however they are both set to admin key so they are the same.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Hey all, so here's the situation of what happened.
I was going uphill, and I was in sport mode. Once I got to about the top of the hill I put it in Drive. After that on the way down the hill, it auto-shifted down (rpm increased), instead of up, which I thought was weird cause it usually shifts up on downhills. Anyways I noticed that happen, and then I was preparing to turn right at the bottom of the hill, so I flipped my turn signal. It was then that I noticed the main screen said "Transmission not in Park", and all of the gauges read 0 as if the car was off. I check the stick and it was in Drive still. I then check the key and it was in the "off" position... So I had to really quickly just start the car because I had the turn coming up at the bottom of the hill. All I know is, i'm 99% sure it stalled out randomly while driving because all the signs of that happening were there. I was told that the DCT cannot stall out, and you can't damage the car because the car will auto-shift before you can. Anyways, I don't think I did anything wrong, and the car randomly stalled out.
As a background, I'v got 2,200 miles on it since I got it on Dec. 14, 2012, and I've been driving it pretty hard. I haven't done the 1st oil change yet.

Please respond if you've had similar issue or if anyone knows whats up. Thanks.
Sounds like the computer got confused and decided to shut off. I think when they say that the dct can't stall, what they mean is that the system will automatically downshift to prevent being in too high a gear and not have enough RPMs

When you say that the keys were in the "off" position, do you mean that you had to turn the key to start the car again? When you did, did you feel the interval "clicks" as the key got into the "ACC" then "ON" positions? I ask because its a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car; rather, it's a spring-loaded mechanism where the key will spring back to the "ON" position.

If you didn't feel the bumps when you restarted the car, then it was probably in the ON position.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
mishka
Focus Addict

Points 2,288, Level 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdd View Post
Sounds like the computer got confused and decided to shut off. I think when they say that the dct can't stall, what they mean is that the system will automatically downshift to prevent being in too high a gear and not have enough RPMs

When you say that the keys were in the "off" position, do you mean that you had to turn the key to start the car again? When you did, did you feel the interval "clicks" as the key got into the "ACC" then "ON" positions? I ask because its a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car; rather, it's a spring-loaded mechanism where the key will spring back to the "ON" position.

If you didn't feel the bumps when you restarted the car, then it was probably in the ON position.
Yes, I had to turn the key all the way to start the car again. I'm not sure If I felt the interval clicks, because I had to react really quickly because the car was going down a hill and I had to stop. I don't know what you mean when you say the it's "a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car" . That doesn't make any sense to me.
The engine definitely turned off. (I know because, like I said before, all the gauges/meters 0'd out and it said "transmission not in P" - and that is exactly what it says if you turn the engine off and put in in Neutral or any other gear but drive.) That's all I can say. When I turned the key all the way to restart it, I never heard it "turn over", instead, all the gauges and computer screens just went back to normal instantly as if nothing ever happened.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,538, Level 94
Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
He means that some people think the key stays in the "start" position rather than "ON"

there's no motor for the key or anything like that. If the vehicle is in motion, turning it back to the "on" position will do exactly as you have described- just make it back to normal.

My point is, it still had to have been bumped. Do you have a lot of keys on a keychain?

Otherwise I may suggest an exorcist.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
mishka
Focus Addict

Points 2,288, Level 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
He means that some people think the key stays in the "start" position rather than "ON"

there's no motor for the key or anything like that. If the vehicle is in motion, turning it back to the "on" position will do exactly as you have described- just make it back to normal.

My point is, it still had to have been bumped. Do you have a lot of keys on a keychain?

Otherwise I may suggest an exorcist.
Haha well I do drive like a demon >;) Actually I was using the spare key at the time (just left the carwash and had given them the spare key), which had nothing on it - just 1 lonely key. So there was nothing to bump. The thought actually crossed my mind that maybe I bumped the key, but, I didn't.
I didn't even feel the car stall or anything really, granted I was going downhill and was playing music fairly loud. All I know is I saw the screen say that which I already described, and the rest of symptoms I described.
But you are correct about what happened when the car "restarted", it just looked back to normal.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,572, Level 98
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Gremlins in the dash turned the key off while you were driving. Bug bomb the car, that makes them drunk, and then maybe they will only chew up the owner's manual (nobody uses it anyway).

Seriously, it's probably an isolated incident that will never happen again. Maybe the key was halfway between ON and ACC, and some bump or something caused it to back up to ACC and turn the engine off while you were driving. The thing is- the key was off, that's why the engine was off. Thank goodness you're in a DCT and not an earlier AT which wouldn't allow you to crank the engine while in D. That's something I noticed in reading your description. If it ever happens again, you can have the transmission looked at all you want to, but there won't be any problems there. The problem will be in the lock cylinder or the ignition switch.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.