2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 29 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #281
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblaes_99 View Post
took my 2012 focus in for service, was told that everything was working as normal and there is no problem.

today, the tx would not engage in reverse at all. I had to push it out of the parking space only to find out it wouldn't shift out of 1st either. limped home with my hazards on at 10 miles per hour in my brand new ford.
Make a video of it happening for us to see. Would be great to see it happening, and you can show your dealer as well.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #282
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
I am sorry to hear that everyone is having these problems; mine seem minuscule in comparison. However, I am still awaiting the dreaded summer heat to come back (since I live in the desert) to hear this thing grind like a blender. I did hear something when I was coming off a highway on to a side road the other day, but the wheels were turned to the left about half way. It sounded like the wheel was rubbing the inside of the well or a slight grinding, but I could not get it to duplicate.

I was also wondering if anyone has had their battery cover pop off? I heard a rattling in my engine and went to check it, only to find the cover was flopping around in there – I know it is not a huge concern, but it will not clip on right. I do not want to be one of ‘those’ customers who complains about every squeak and rattle, but I paid good money for this thing and I think it should be immaculate, considering thing I drove it off the lot with 67 miles – does anyone else think so, or am I being too picky?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #283
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
I am sorry to hear that everyone is having these problems; mine seem minuscule in comparison. However, I am still awaiting the dreaded summer heat to come back (since I live in the desert) to hear this thing grind like a blender. I did hear something when I was coming off a highway on to a side road the other day, but the wheels were turned to the left about half way. It sounded like the wheel was rubbing the inside of the well or a slight grinding, but I could not get it to duplicate.

I was also wondering if anyone has had their battery cover pop off? I heard a rattling in my engine and went to check it, only to find the cover was flopping around in there – I know it is not a huge concern, but it will not clip on right. I do not want to be one of ‘those’ customers who complains about every squeak and rattle, but I paid good money for this thing and I think it should be immaculate, considering thing I drove it off the lot with 67 miles – does anyone else think so, or am I being too picky?
When I got delivery of my second 2012 Focus (1st one was bought back by the dealer) The battery cover was loose and I was not able to fix it properly, went back to the dealer the service guy was able to do it but even him had a hard time. There is a specific spot if is a little bit off it wont clip on.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #284
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblaes_99 View Post
...today, the tx would not engage in reverse at all...
rblaes_99,

I confirmed your regional customer service manager will be calling you soon. Please see your inbox for my PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
...I've had shuddering in the past, but nothing even remotely like what you've described...
It’s great to see community support, unfocused1. Have you mentioned this to the dealer? Send me a PM with your contact information (VIN, name, phone number, dealer details, and mileage) and I’ll be happy to escalate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
...Maybe they actually get their cars fixed, instead of being told that it's all in their head and that if the dealership says it's normal then there is nothing more that can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
...I'd probably use my magical powers to get my car fixed before I came on the internet to diagnose my problem...
Quote:
...I heard a rattling in my engine and went to check it, only to find the cover was flopping around in there – I know it is not a huge concern, but it will not clip on right...
Strix, PratoN, & sdwcam01,

I still have everyone’s contact information from before; please send me a PM requesting a follow-up call and I’ll ensure your CSM contacts you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermax View Post
...The battery cover was loose and I was not able to fix it properly, went back to the dealer the service guy was able to do it but even him had a hard time. There is a specific spot if is a little bit off it wont clip on.
This is a great recommendation, powermax; thanks for offering your advice.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #285
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
It’s starting to warm a bit more here in the desert, and the sound of grinding was in the air this afternoon…
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #286
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 319, Level 6
Points: 319, Level: 6 Points: 319, Level: 6 Points: 319, Level: 6
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
It’s starting to warm a bit more here in the desert, and the sound of grinding was in the air this afternoon…
man, that is some serious discouraging. ever since the new england winter hit, all problems disappeared from my 2012 dual clutch focus transmission. I guess I wait for spring to start the escalation process all over again. At least I have compiled a very extensive file on it from discussions here and at the ford focus facebook page.

It is very discouraging watching so many people all being told this is normal but after dogged persistence, getting ford to replace seals, clutches bearings etc, then the problem is gone.

If it was normal, cold weather could not make it disappear.

If it was normal, new parts could not make it disappear.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #287
tamAtFord
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111610
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 tamAtFord Good Standing Member
Thanks everyone for posting about your experiences in this thread. On the one hand I'm glad to find that this is a known problem; on the other, now I'm really not looking forward to going back to the Ford dealer. Last time I took it there during the winter for the rumbling noise, they said it was normal and gave the car back to me. Now that the temperatures are above 50F, the scraping noise has started. I just bought this car used (still under warranty). It's my first Ford (was loyal to Toyotas and Hondas previously) and am super disappointed about this major issue. I'm kind of embarrassed to take people in my car now "what's that noise??"... And many friends have been asking me about how I like the Ford and I feel like I should rescind my initial answer :(

If anyone is still reading this thread, any advice for how to get this fixed with the least resistance from Ford's side?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #288
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Don't accept the "normal" response from any dealer. The evidence that it is not normal is common sense and many many dealers are replacing clutch assemblies to resolve it. (mine included). My advise is to go to the dealership armed with info from this forum (kind of a sad commentary given that this issue is so obviously not normal that Ford dealerships insisting that it is are really making themselves look like total jacka#@#). There are a number of examples here of people getting this exact issue resolved.

The customer service rep here can also help you if you get push back.

A grinding transmission is not normal - it is the sound of your transmission being worn out prematurely. You don't need to be an expert to be sure of this so don't let the "experts" try to pull the wool over.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #289
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamAtFord View Post
Thanks everyone for posting about your experiences in this thread. On the one hand I'm glad to find that this is a known problem; on the other, now I'm really not looking forward to going back to the Ford dealer. Last time I took it there during the winter for the rumbling noise, they said it was normal and gave the car back to me. Now that the temperatures are above 50F, the scraping noise has started...
Hi tamAtFord,

I want to step in here and see how I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start working on your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
...The customer service rep here can also help you if you get push back...
Thanks for the recommendation, Sprint!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #290
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 535, Level 10
Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
The customer service rep here can also help you if you get push back.
Not that I've seen. Unless by 'help' you mean telling you that there's nothing they can do if the dealership says it's normal.

Quote:
A grinding transmission is not normal - it is the sound of your transmission being worn out prematurely. You don't need to be an expert to be sure of this so don't let the "experts" try to pull the wool over.
It's not 'worn out prematurely' if it makes it to the end of the warranty period. That's all that matters to Ford.

Quote:
Good luck.
You'll need it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.