Should I dump my Focus?? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #61
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomenter View Post
Since I know myself, I'm the Toyota guy. In fact, I did my internship there and drove hundreds of Corollas so I'm speaking as a semi-experienced person in this threat. There is no doubt that they are very reliable and efficient. They will also last longer than any other brands in the world, including Honda which is known to have obvious transmission problems since 1998-started with V6 accords. I've made most of my friends buy nothing but Toyota.

You will just have make up your mind about what you want. Do you want to drive a car that gives "fun" behind wheel or you want to drive a car that only takes you from point A to B..
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephd View Post
Everyone I know that has or had a Corolla, never had a single problem with it.
I remember and still miss my 95 Toyota P/U. I had that truck for 10 years, and sold it to a buddy with 155K and still running strong!
Sometimes with fun comes with a lot of headaches and expense.
My Jeep Wrangler was the perfect example. Never a headache, but lots of fun and expensive to own and drive.
I still would like a fun car to drive. But with expenses of a house. Cheap transportation and fuel economy need to take the wheel first. So for me point A to B is more important.
Just take a look at the local bone yards. Lots of fun vehicles sitting there reduced to rusty heaps.
So you guys are voting for me to get the Corolla?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #62
josephd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84356
What I Drive: 2007 SE Dark Toreador Red Pearl

FF Reputation: 1 josephd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
No, you will take a big hit if you trade your Focus. Stop worrying and drive your car and concentrate on paying it off. I was in your shoes when I traded my Wrangler when I bought my house.
I realized that rolling over one loan into the next just to be happy or have fun, leaves you broke and under water on the value of your ride. That is why kept mine, and now it is paid off.
The new Focus is a nice car, if you like it and enjoy driving it. Then stop worrying about problems that may or may not come. ;-)
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #63
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephd View Post
No, you will take a big hit if you trade your Focus. Stop worrying and drive your car and concentrate on paying it off. I was in your shoes when I traded my Wrangler when I bought my house.
I realized that rolling over one loan into the next just to be happy or have fun, leaves you broke and under water on the value of your ride. That is why kept mine, and now it is paid off.
The new Focus is a nice car, if you like it and enjoy driving it. Then stop worrying about problems that may or may not come. ;-)
You know, you're right. I need to just stop worrying and enjoy the car like I was before all of these thoughts entered my head!

When I'm not worrying about it, I really do enjoy the car. I have the MFT update on a USB drive that I still need to install and my girlfriend pre-paid to have my windows tinted. So I just need to do those things and enjoy!

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #64
josephd
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
You know, you're right. I need to just stop worrying and enjoy the car like I was before all of these thoughts entered my head!

When I'm not worrying about it, I really do enjoy the car. I have the MFT update on a USB drive that I still need to install and my girlfriend pre-paid to have my windows tinted. So I just need to do those things and enjoy!

Thanks for the input.
I am happy to help. And I wish for you to be happy as well. I talk from experience when it comes to my 07. I was at several dealerships before I decided what made the most sense. At the end of the day, it is only a car. Good luck buddy.:)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #65
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillon View Post
at the end of the day, it is only a car.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #66
josephd
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #67
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
when it starts bucking and shit explodes, then start worrying about your alternative options
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #68
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106045
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Quote:
A Corolla is no guarantee of steadfast reliability. My dad has an '08 Corolla, and has had some fairly significant problems with it. His ECU packed it in when him and my mum were making a left through a busy intersection, stranding them. It also does not like staying in proper alignment, despite being adjusted repeatedly. This has led it to go through tires unreasonably quickly. My Focus gets better mileage as well. And, while it cost more than 20 grand (Cdn$), it doesn't have some features one might expect, like cruise control. It also has a super-bland 4-speed auto. It drives okay at lower speeds, but I don't really like it on the highway. It's nowhere near as fun to drive as a Focus.

When I brought my Focus to show him, he liked it so much I figured he was going to pick one up himself, but he says he'll run the Corolla into the ground before getting another car, now that it's paid off. To be fair, it already has over 180,000km on it, so that's a plus for reliability. My dad generally likes cars, and can get pretty excited about them, but clearly views his Corolla as a commuting appliance.

So, to summarize, don't get into an appliance car! Keep your driver's car.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #69
Focus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86441
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 Focus2012 Good Standing Member
For me, I bought my car new in 2012, and will keep it for at least 5 years... then I will be trading up to my dream car, a new BMW 335i
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #70
Sal Paradise
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108914
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Sal Paradise Good Standing Member
The corolla is not equal to the Focus. How much will it cost you if you hate the corolla and miss the Focus and want to go back? I really miss my Focus when my wife takes it and I have to drive the mini van. The Corolla gets lower MPG too. In addition to being slow and obsolete.

I looked at trading in my Focus for a Fusion but the trade in value would be less than I owe. I'm sticking with my Focus, which runs perfectly and I am really happy with it anyway. Sometimes its cheaper and better to stay with what you've got. The used car market when I bought my Focus in 2011 was just insane. Stripped 3 year old econoboxes coming off lease with 40k miles for $13k. Hell no. The Focus is an awesome car. I'm keeping mine and you should just keep yours.

Bookmarks & Social Networks