Newbie! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > South West Fanatics > Fanatics: SoCal

Fanatics: SoCal Regional discussion Forum for planning events and sharing information with all Members in the Southern California area

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
JCloud_ZX3_01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108632
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JCloud_ZX3_01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Newbie!

Hello everyone. I am a Subaru convert. The 07 WRX wagon I had was fun (too much fun) but too expensive to maintain, insure, etc. for the overall quality of the car. My ex gf had a 2001 Focus with well over 150K on it and, despite numerous rattles and noises (and cosmetic damage) it zipped around remarkably well. So, as soon as I decided to sell the money pit WRX I found myself a black 2001 ZX3 with 84K on it. It had some minor body damage and the paint is terrible BUT it drove well and passed my mechanic's test.

I've had the ZX3 for about 2.5 years now (it just hit 100K) and I spent a little money chasing a coolant leak before it completely cracked when I was out in the desert! But, I got the whole coolant system replaced, along with the hoses, and while I was at it, had the timing belt replaced :)

Since then, minimal problems. Including that mess, I've spent about $1,100 in repairs AND maintenance on the car. It drives quite well and feels strong, except I'm getting the top motor mount replaced to see if it stops the annoying and LOUD vibrations while driving!

I just had almost all of the factory recommended 100K maintenance done on the car and I'm hoping to drive it for as long as I can. That being said, I'm seriously considering investing in some performance/gas mileage upgrades for the little guy. It does have the dual cam Zetec engine.

Where do you recommend I start? Chip? Intake? Exhaust? Other? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Welcome to FF!

Regarding performance, it depends on your budget. You can pick up a jackson racing supercharger for ~$1500 these days that will get you about 80hp, and the JRSC's can be carb legal if you get one with the sticker.

You can also get a turbo kit with FSwerks that will put you around 230hp at the wheels, which will make you faster than most WRX subies (not STIs). http://fswerks.com/zetec-turbocharger.htm

If you dont want to go FI, or dont have the money, then your first and best mod is to get some better suspension. I recommend KYB adjustables, and H&R Race springs. Those will make your focus handle like its on rails. In terms of performance, that's your best bang for the buck.

Engine-bay wise, grab a SVT header, CAI, and a FSWERKS Stealth Cat-back, and call it a day. That will net you about 20hp, and give your car a mean exhaust note.

regarding chips, the only option with foci is to get a proper tune. Go get a SCT Xcal 3, and find a tuner to do you right. FSWERKS is local and knows how to do things right.

Come out to the meets sometimes!

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
JCloud_ZX3_01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108632
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JCloud_ZX3_01 Good Standing Member
Thanks Viper Threat. I don't mean to doubt you, but seriously!? faster than my old 07 WRX!? That would have to include suspension upgrade right? That Turbo 2.5 L 4WD w/LS was ridiculous off the line! I would think the Focus would have trouble transferring that kind of power to the road (without just doing burnouts)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. a suspension upgrade sounds like a good idea. The car already handles great. With those upgrades it would be ridiculous! Where do you suggest I find a reasonably priced SVT header/install?

P.S. I'd be totally content with adding 20 hp and I nice deep exhaust note for the right price.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
velocityfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100972
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red SES

FF Reputation: 1 velocityfocus Good Standing Member
Welcome to the forums lets see some pics :)
SES #056
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
DEMENTED SVTF
PARTS HUNTER

Fan#: 71669
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX2 5.0 SUPERCAB

FF Reputation: 9 DEMENTED SVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Lol we had a stock 2.0 n/a focus smoke a new wrx (new 2.5 liter 350whp)with tons of mods in the canyon he even toasted his brakes trying to keep up lol. Yes from a 0-25mph the super heavy 4wd tanks will get us. There are members on here in socal that smoke new ss camaros,modded ms3 etc. Come to our meets and we can show u.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
hardSVT
Turbo Freak

Fan#: 53566
What I Drive: 03 svtf

FF Reputation: 5 hardSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMENTED SVTF View Post
Lol we had a stock 2.0 n/a focus smoke a new wrx (new 2.5 liter 350whp)with tons of mods in the canyon he even toasted his brakes trying to keep up lol. Yes from a 0-25mph the super heavy 4wd tanks will get us. There are members on here in socal that smoke new ss camaros,modded ms3 etc. Come to our meets and we can show u.
Who's smoking modded ms3? Do they wanna play with my modded ms3 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Smackatalk
Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
DEMENTED SVTF
PARTS HUNTER

Fan#: 71669
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX2 5.0 SUPERCAB

FF Reputation: 9 DEMENTED SVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
So how did ur tech day go?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
hardSVT
Turbo Freak

Fan#: 53566
What I Drive: 03 svtf

FF Reputation: 5 hardSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Lol no focus members wanted to help
Soo turned to Mazda community and it's going down next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Smackatalk
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCloud_ZX3_01 View Post
Thanks Viper Threat. I don't mean to doubt you, but seriously!? faster than my old 07 WRX!? That would have to include suspension upgrade right? That Turbo 2.5 L 4WD w/LS was ridiculous off the line! I would think the Focus would have trouble transferring that kind of power to the road (without just doing burnouts)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. a suspension upgrade sounds like a good idea. The car already handles great. With those upgrades it would be ridiculous! Where do you suggest I find a reasonably priced SVT header/install?

P.S. I'd be totally content with adding 20 hp and I nice deep exhaust note for the right price.
Haha yeah, 4wd definitely has the jump on fwd off the line, but a fswerk's turbo'd focus is no joke, once they get traction, they haul @$$.

Anyhow, from what it sounds like, your best bet is:

1. suspension
2. cold air intake
3. cat-back exhaust

those 3 mods will be a pretty solid upgrade for your car. In the twisties, you will give alot of cars a run for their money.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews

Bookmarks & Social Networks