SVT with sudden rough idle, power loss - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
Buddy4679
Browser

Fan#: 94214
What I Drive: 2007 SilverFrost Chevy TrailBlazer

FF Reputation: 2 Buddy4679 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
I got that beat! lol. I also have a rough idle every now and then...sounds like a vac leak of some sort...narrowed down to throttle body. when she runs on the highway...its beautiful...at idle...almost the same issue as OP. Never stalls tho.
Curious to find out the issue.
!!SVT is GONE!!
2007 SilverFrost Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4x4
#124 Hatch Nation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #52
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I'm assuming the car has COP? Or if not it's a waste ignition system.
No coil-on-plug for the SVT...same sorta setup as the standard Zetec.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #53
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy4679 View Post
I got that beat! lol. I also have a rough idle every now and then...sounds like a vac leak of some sort...narrowed down to throttle body. when she runs on the highway...its beautiful...at idle...almost the same issue as OP. Never stalls tho.
Curious to find out the issue.
I find that a lot of threads around here go "unfinished", where a number of suggestions to a problem are given, but the OP never confirms what works.

I'll be sure to button this one up properly when I do figure it out.

Up until I created that, I thought it was Stanley from The Office, turns out it's the physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson lol.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #54
Buddy4679
Browser

Fan#: 94214
What I Drive: 2007 SilverFrost Chevy TrailBlazer

FF Reputation: 2 Buddy4679 Good Standing Member
^^ too funny...he believes in aliens and is excited for the end of the world....what a positive guy!

now back on track....def wanna know so I can check some stuff.
!!SVT is GONE!!
2007 SilverFrost Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4x4
#124 Hatch Nation
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #55
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buddy4679, I had a bad vacuum leak that caused the symptoms you described, it turns out a nipple on the back of intake manifold right after the TB had broken off, it's a port for the EVAP system and basically left a 1/4" hole in the intake manifold. I have no idea how or why mine broke but I'd be surprised if my car was the only one with this problem.

swansong, what did the shop tell you? They should have done a spark test, they're straight up incompotent if they didn't, it takes like 3 minutes. They should have also already done the compression testing to verify that timing was still right.

And BTW, if you do the compression tests, don't neccessarily condemn anything if you get compression but it's lower than 100 psi. My car does between 75-80, which concerned me, and then I did leakdown testing and those results were good, 5% loss on 3 cylinders and about 10% on one. Plus the engine runs fantastic, so I'm kind of not worried about it anymore. Also there's something weird with my starter and it kicks out after a few seconds of cranking and that makes compression testing kind of a pain and maybe inconclusive in my case. I've heard that VCT somehow causes misleading compression test #s but I'm not positive on that.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #56
swansong
Focus Addict

As far as I know the shop did not do a spark or compression test. They wanted an extra $80 to do a vacuum leak smoke test, AFTER they had replaced the fuel pump and filter and it still wouldn't stay running. At that point I gave up on them, so they towed it home for me for no charge.

Been reading into compression tests, and yeah its more important that all cylinders give similar numbers rather than reaching a specific number, especially with the SVT and its VCT silliness.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #57
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
As far as I know the shop did not do a spark or compression test. They wanted an extra $80 to do a vacuum leak smoke test, AFTER they had replaced the fuel pump and filter and it still wouldn't stay running
I'd have b!tch slapped them six ways to Sunday. I can't believe how incompetent some shops are -- I mean, I'm no master mechanic, but seriously...

Anywho...let's hope it's something simple and easy, like the coil...

I guess a big ol' vacuum leak would do it too, so poke around for anything blatant.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #58
swansong
Focus Addict

Car still won't start. Here are some results though:

1. Timing belt looks great. I removed the screws holding the cam cover on and could bend the cover enough to peek at it. I checked the condition of the belt and teeth, marked the section with Sharpie, turned the engine over slightly, and repeated until I could see that the entire belt was in good shape. No teeth missing. Phew.

2. Compression is good. Cyl 1 = 125 PSI, Cyl 2 = 105 PSI, Cyl 3 = 105 PSI, Cyl 4 = 110 PSI. Phew #2.

3. Spark looks ok. That's according to my spark tester thing, which goes inline between the wire boot and the plug, flashes consistently on each cylinder when turning the engine over. I'm not sure exactly how bright this spark should be, but it's bright enough to see in the dark, but not crazy bright.

Observation: I think I need a new valve cover. Spark plugs 2-4 all had oil on the threads. The firing end looked normal, but there was some oil present, not sure if that is due to fouling or oil dripping on them when I removed them. I'm probably going to replace them, even though they have low miles, when I re-do the valve cover gasket. Is it possible that this is causing my no-start? Maybe, if all the plugs are fouled out... Of course no local parts stores have the plugs and gasket in stock, so I'll have to wait a day or two to get them.

So, it appears that I've got compression, spark, fuel, and the timing is ok. What's next? Still no CEL light.

Also, all this time I've been assuming I have fuel. The fuel pump turns on when key is turned to run, and my SCT log shows Fuel Pressure PSI is about 45-50. Does that mean that I've got fuel actually going into the cylinders? Could my injectors have issues..? Anything else I could log on the SCT?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #59
swansong
Focus Addict

So I bought some starting fluid (ether) and sprayed it into the intake box. The car started up, revved to 2k as usual, sputtered out and stalled. It wouldn't idle.

After a few more tries, I can get it to start up on most tries, after a few seconds of cranking and some throttle application. It will kind of idle for about 5 seconds, then stall. During this "idle" it sounds kind of like a Harley, lots of odd popping and snorting sounds at odd intervals. This is how it was running the very first time I tried to restart it on the side of the road when it first started running goofy. "Back to square one", in a way. Oh, and sometimes when I do start it up and it revs up to 2k or 3k, it sounds pretty normal and functional.

IAC?
CPS?
Timing issue..?

Ok, as I was typing this, I gave it a few more tries to start. Can't get it to start up now. It's like my ether ran out and it's not getting fuel again. Leaning towards fuel issue.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #60
swansong
Focus Addict

I've been pounding the hell out of the search feature (pro-tip to those using search, I actually have better success with Google: search site:focusfanatics.com *problem here*)

Sounds like it might just be the plugs crapping out from the valve cover gasket leaking. I've got the gasket and Motorcraft SP-463's on order at my FLAPS (of course, no one stocks SVT parts), but I might pick up a close-enough set of plugs tonight at Wally World just to see if that's what it is.

From reading threads, CPS should always throw a code when it goes out, so I'm ruling that out for now.

Still could be a fuel/injector issue, but plugs are much cheaper so I'll try those first.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->