Cold weather engine cut out - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
TheNickS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108611
What I Drive: 2004 Panther Black Ghia

FF Reputation: 1 TheNickS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Arh thats crap, thought it was worth a mention just in case it worked, good luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
TdciDoesNotGoDave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108693
What I Drive: Audi A3

FF Reputation: 1 TdciDoesNotGoDave Good Standing Member
Hello Rovey

I’m sorry to hear of the problems you have been having, and unfortunately I can’t offer any advice or consolation other than my (ex) 4 year old 1.6 TDCI Focus had exactly the same problem.

Like you I experienced numerous engine cuts when the weather was cold. Around freezing point the engine was fine, but at around -5 degrees centigrade it would cut out two or three times on a half hour journey, and at colder temperatures it was almost impossible to drive the car. The car was most likely to cut out when the demand for power was high, for example pulling away at junctions or joining fast moving traffic streams. Whilst the car was in warranty I took it back to the dealer numerous times, but to be honest the mechanics had no idea how to fix it and Ford didn’t want to know or help. Ford wouldn’t even talk to me unless I rang a premium rate number!!!!

I did get some advice that the problem can be caused by diesel fuel waxing in the fuel filter, and after getting the fuel filter changed the problem might have improved for a while but to be honest I don’t think it ever really fixed it. In the end, and once the car was out of warranty, I replaced it with an Audi (hopefully a more reliable make??) that runs on petrol (hopefully less to go wrong???).

The experience was very disappointing, and it was very annoying to have an unfixable car at only 30K on the clock. Buying the Focus proved to be a very costly mistake and I count myself lucky that at least I was in the fortunate position to have the cash to change to something else – but not everybody has. All in all, I’ve been very badly let down my Ford. The only positive thing I can say is that it was marvellous to get rid of the Focus and drive to work this week in temperatures of -8.5C without a single problem!

Best of luck.

David
Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Rovey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93981
What I Drive: Blue Titanium 2.0 Tdci 2005

FF Reputation: 1 Rovey Good Standing Member
Thanks for the replies. I wish my car only cut out 3-4 times in half an hour. At around 2C and below my car tries to cut out at least once a minute, so my 30min drive to work is perilous especially, as you say, pulling away at junctions, i look like a new driver as my car bunny hops down the road as it desperately tries to stall, im getting about 20mpg at the moment down from over 40mpg cos i have to keep the revs up constantly, at lights, junctions and any other time i stop or else it will stall, and when i am going slowly. Occasionally the car goes limp and i get the Engine System Fault warning on the display so i have to restart the engine and hope it doesn't happen as im going up hill. On the plus side it forces me to stay alert at all times, cannot wait to get rid of the damn thing, im buying a flat in the next week or so , so im stuck with it for at least a few more months. I will also go with a petrol car, probably from a garage as well so it will have a warranty, you live and learn.

Bookmarks & Social Networks