Should I dump my Focus?? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #51
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
But shouldn't he also NOT get the 2014 and wait for the 2015 for the first year kinks to be worked out? By then the Focus will only be worth 73 cents.

(You know I'm just kidding... I hope?)
Yeah, I probably wouldn't recommend buying the first model year of an all-new car. Although, to play devil's advocate, Toyota has a good track record for resolving issues quickly. The Scion FR-S is a good example of this; there have been some minor teething issues, but nothing that Toyota wouldn't take care of as long as the customer didn't create the issue.

The depreciation on the Focus should level out after the first year. I'd ride it out if you don't have any issues with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #52
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Well, just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, a local Toyota dealer is trying to put me into a Corolla. They will go down as low as a hair over $16,000 for this car. It's a brand new 2013: http://www.mossytoyota.com/new-San+D...BU4EE9DP114681

Just to refresh on my situation, I paid $20,800 out the door for my Focus. I put $9,000 down and owe about $9,000 on my loan. My Focus according to the internet, is worth roughly $16,000 or more.

Thoughts on this?
UGH!!!

Man first of all if your going to scrap the focus do it for something with some class....Corolla? Why not just get a Yaris and save some money

Second of all and most importantly, you WILL NOT get 16 for your focus. I PROMISE you they will START bargaining your focus from 10 grand, and you wont be able to go up to more than 12 or 13. Went through this process, as others have on the forums here.

Now you've lost that equity from your car, and you are basically pissing on the the money you put down on the Focus. If they give the Crapolla to you for 16 (plus destination and shit) about 16.5, minus equity from the focus (13 grand TOPS - 9 owed = 4k equity) = 12.5k for the Corolla. Oh yea, not to mention the 2 grand you have spent in payments while owning the Focus, yea thats in the trash too. If you put more miles on the Focus, I wouldnt count that, but 7900 miles is negligible, so I consider both basically brand new.

You went from Owing 9k on the Focus (which BLOWS THE COROLLA OUT OF THE WATER) to 12.5 on a lousy corolla. Is a Corolla with a shitty aftermarket looking head unit, 4 speed dinosaur transmission, less power, crappy looks, but more of a guarantee of reliability worth 3.5 grand and a boring ass car?

Lets also bring up another solid point in the Focus's defense here. Your transmission, knock on wood, has been solid. Many on here (where's Suss?) have DCT's that are okay! Why are you flipping out? The engine on this is the same engine used in the ST, a Turbocharged application. There weren't many modifications to our motors to bring it up to turbo spec...its a very durable engine.

you love your focus, I promise you the Corolla will NEVER bring you anywhere near that kind of joy. You might feel its a good car when you test drive it, but when the new car honeymoon period dies, your gonna realize you dumped equity and money into a boring ass anonymous vanilla car. Steel Wheels? A radio looks like a kid at best buy installed it? 4 speed? 138hp? ugh! im done I cant take this anymore.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
UGH!!!

Man first of all if your going to scrap the focus do it for something with some class....Corolla? Why not just get a Yaris and save some money

Second of all and most importantly, you WILL NOT get 16 for your focus. I PROMISE you they will START bargaining your focus from 10 grand, and you wont be able to go up to more than 12 or 13. Went through this process, as others have on the forums here.

Now you've lost that equity from your car, and you are basically pissing on the the money you put down on the Focus. If they give the Crapolla to you for 16 (plus destination and shit) about 16.5, minus equity from the focus (13 grand TOPS - 9 owed = 4k equity) = 12.5k for the Corolla. Oh yea, not to mention the 2 grand you have spent in payments while owning the Focus, yea thats in the trash too. If you put more miles on the Focus, I wouldnt count that, but 7900 miles is negligible, so I consider both basically brand new.

You went from Owing 9k on the Focus (which BLOWS THE COROLLA OUT OF THE WATER) to 12.5 on a lousy corolla. Is a Corolla with a shitty aftermarket looking head unit, 4 speed dinosaur transmission, less power, crappy looks, but more of a guarantee of reliability worth 3.5 grand and a boring ass car?

Lets also bring up another solid point in the Focus's defense here. Your transmission, knock on wood, has been solid. Many on here (where's Suss?) have DCT's that are okay! Why are you flipping out? The engine on this is the same engine used in the ST, a Turbocharged application. There weren't many modifications to our motors to bring it up to turbo spec...its a very durable engine.

you love your focus, I promise you the Corolla will NEVER bring you anywhere near that kind of joy. You might feel its a good car when you test drive it, but when the new car honeymoon period dies, your gonna realize you dumped equity and money into a boring ass anonymous vanilla car. Steel Wheels? A radio looks like a kid at best buy installed it? 4 speed? 138hp? ugh! im done I cant take this anymore.
LOL, I totally see your point. The Corolla is a very boring car and it would probably pain me to do it. And you're right, I wouldn't get the joy out of it that I get with my Focus. And the options in that Corolla that I linked are actually a lot less than what I currently have.

I'm most likely keeping my Focus, but just out of curiosity, what do you think about the Scion tC?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #54
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

more garbage from Toyota. Corolla coupe....2.4 or 2.5L makes 180ish HP but acceleration tests pin it near the heavier Focus...go figure (oh and worse mileage). Drove one and walked away very disappointed; does not feel fast at all and typical Toyota super notchy and sensitive manual. Interior is cheaper than a corollas...plastic coffin. Hatch and rear seat are very big, thats it though. Driven primarily by young girls, usually their first new car after highschool. Another car with a fugly ass radio that looks like it was installed by brian at Best Buy after they ripped you off. Very awkward looking slab sides and thoughtless design. Handling only has merit because of the tires, but even then I would put my money on the Focus in the backroads anyday. The car for people trying too hard to be cool but have no idea what cool is.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #55
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

oh yea, remember the TC is a marketing experiment made by people in a boardroom looking for as little design as possible for maximum appeal to teenagers. The focus is a collaboration of engineers around the world to make a world class compact car that would be deemed premium quality and content in any market, especially ours given the sales the US pushes, and coerce premium car buyers downsizing into a compact! Benchmarked to Audi...Nuff said. Nothing from Toyota will come close, and anything else from anyone else that compares would be much more expensive than the focus, let alone what you are willing to take a hit for as a trade.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #56
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
more garbage from Toyota. Corolla coupe....2.4 or 2.5L makes 180ish HP but acceleration tests pin it near the heavier Focus...go figure (oh and worse mileage). Drove one and walked away very disappointed; does not feel fast at all and typical Toyota super notchy and sensitive manual. Interior is cheaper than a corollas...plastic coffin. Hatch and rear seat are very big, thats it though. Driven primarily by young girls, usually their first new car after highschool. Another car with a fugly ass radio that looks like it was installed by brian at Best Buy after they ripped you off. Very awkward looking slab sides and thoughtless design. Handling only has merit because of the tires, but even then I would put my money on the Focus in the backroads anyday. The car for people trying too hard to be cool but have no idea what cool is.
Haha thanks for your thoughts, this is educational and entertaining at the same time!

I am more than sure I'm keeping the Focus, I just need to get fears of things that haven't even happened out of my mind!

I think what is always in the back of my mind as well is my ex-gf's Focus, but it was like a 2002 I believe. That thing was a pile of trash. The engine sounded like it was going to blow up at any minute, the interior was peeling, falling apart, etc.

So for some reason, her car always disappointed me and I am hoping that this one doesn't start falling apart after a few years.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #57
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

glad to help!

I have a feeling you will take care of your focus more than she did...ALL of my ex's didnt even know how to check oil or what the significance of it was. I bet if she drove a Corolla it would look and sound like crap. I know from personal experience, a good friend ran 3 used cars in perfect condition into the ground and is working on her (HER, not HIS) fourth, a brand new '10 that looks so lived in and ghetto you would think it was 7 years old. I wont even say no offense because it is a proven fact that most girls dont have the slightest clue how to take care of a car.... there is no kitchen or bedroom in it! Funny thing is most of them treat it like it has both!

Dont eat in it except rarely. Clean out the car often and dont junk it up. get into the habit of just throwing everything in the trunk then cleaning THAT out once a week. Wax it and clearbra the front so the paint holds up well and you dont get rock chips. Be careful parking the damn car so you dont scrape shit or beat the wheels up like a monkey piloting a space ship. If it helps, get spotter mirrors and install backup sensors (they work miracles!) or a backup camera, very cheap to do these days and i'm sure this lovely forums has tons of info on doing that. Do ALL regular maintenance as it needs...people put that shit off and it all adds up making the car drive like crap. Dont drive it abusively, its a Focus, NOT a Focus ST. Dont try to drift it or do burnouts lol. You can have plenty of fun without beating it up, this is a VERY capable car.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #58
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
glad to help!

I have a feeling you will take care of your focus more than she did...ALL of my ex's didnt even know how to check oil or what the significance of it was. I bet if she drove a Corolla it would look and sound like crap. I know from personal experience, a good friend ran 3 used cars in perfect condition into the ground and is working on her (HER, not HIS) fourth, a brand new '10 that looks so lived in and ghetto you would think it was 7 years old. I wont even say no offense because it is a proven fact that most girls dont have the slightest clue how to take care of a car.... there is no kitchen or bedroom in it! Funny thing is most of them treat it like it has both!

Dont eat in it except rarely. Clean out the car often and dont junk it up. get into the habit of just throwing everything in the trunk then cleaning THAT out once a week. Wax it and clearbra the front so the paint holds up well and you dont get rock chips. Be careful parking the damn car so you dont scrape shit or beat the wheels up like a monkey piloting a space ship. If it helps, get spotter mirrors and install backup sensors (they work miracles!) or a backup camera, very cheap to do these days and i'm sure this lovely forums has tons of info on doing that. Do ALL regular maintenance as it needs...people put that shit off and it all adds up making the car drive like crap. Dont drive it abusively, its a Focus, NOT a Focus ST. Dont try to drift it or do burnouts lol. You can have plenty of fun without beating it up, this is a VERY capable car.
Yeah, I will definitely take care of it more than her haha! She was a nanny and always had kids in the car who just added to trashing it.

If this car stays reliable and durable, I will be a very happy camper!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #59
fomenter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107937
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fomenter Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
LOL, I totally see your point. The Corolla is a very boring car and it would probably pain me to do it. And you're right, I wouldn't get the joy out of it that I get with my Focus. And the options in that Corolla that I linked are actually a lot less than what I currently have.

I'm most likely keeping my Focus, but just out of curiosity, what do you think about the Scion tC?
Since I know myself, I'm the Toyota guy. In fact, I did my internship there and drove hundreds of Corollas so I'm speaking as a semi-experienced person in this threat. There is no doubt that they are very reliable and efficient. They will also last longer than any other brands in the world, including Honda which is known to have obvious transmission problems since 1998-started with V6 accords. I've made most of my friends buy nothing but Toyota.

You will just have make up your mind about what you want. Do you want to drive a car that gives "fun" behind wheel or you want to drive a car that only takes you from point A to B..
Old 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #60
josephd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84356
What I Drive: 2007 SE Dark Toreador Red Pearl

FF Reputation: 1 josephd Good Standing Member
Everyone I know that has or had a Corolla, never had a single problem with it.
I remember and still miss my 95 Toyota P/U. I had that truck for 10 years, and sold it to a buddy with 155K and still running strong!
Sometimes with fun comes with a lot of headaches and expense.
My Jeep Wrangler was the perfect example. Never a headache, but lots of fun and expensive to own and drive.
I still would like a fun car to drive. But with expenses of a house. Cheap transportation and fuel economy need to take the wheel first. So for me point A to B is more important.
Just take a look at the local bone yards. Lots of fun vehicles sitting there reduced to rusty heaps.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->